Onboard Graphics Card Swap

Hello, I was wondering whether I could take the onboard graphics from a compaq presario laptop and swap them with the onboard graphics of an IBM Thinkpad. The reason I want to so this is because despite the 5 year age of the the Thinkpad, it still has a better processor than the 1 year old Presario. The presario still has a 1gb Radeon HD 6000 series graphics card though, so it is better than the Thinkpads 128mb Radeon mobility x1400 card. I would like the better processor to match up with the better graphics card, I'm sure that's understandable right? Anyway, would it work?
6 answers Last reply
More about onboard graphics card swap
  1. no you cant swap

    About 90% of the laptop on the market, the video card is onboard. And even when you can upgrade the video card on a laptop, there is the issue of power supply and heat that you need to worry about.
  2. te100 said:
    no you cant swap

    About 90% of the laptop on the market, the video card is onboard. And even when you can upgrade the video card on a laptop, there is the issue of power supply and heat that you need to worry about.


    I already know that the graphics cards are onboard. That doesn't mean anything to me though, because it is not integrated into the the mobo, it's just screwed in as it would be with any other graphics card. If you unscrew it, it comes out. Simple as that. But will it be compatible?
  3. I can pretty much guarantee Your thinkpad does not have a better processor. you are more than likely comparing clocks or something which means nothing
  4. I'd think they probably have it soldered to the board, if your good at using a soldering iron then maybe it would work, but parts from different electronics are coded a lot of the time so they won't work with anything else (Xbox disc drive chips come to mind) an intergrated GPU could very easily work the same way.
  5. DorianGraves said:
    I already know that the graphics cards are onboard. That doesn't mean anything to me though, because it is not integrated into the the mobo, it's just screwed in as it would be with any other graphics card. If you unscrew it, it comes out. Simple as that. But will it be compatible?


    Its not just screwed in. Its soldered to the board. and it is not compatible
  6. unksol said:
    I can pretty much guarantee Your thinkpad does not have a better processor. you are more than likely comparing clocks or something which means nothing


    Really? So a Core 2 Duo @ 2.x ghz isn't better than an AMD C-50 single core @ 1 ghz? I'm pretty sure the Thinkpad is better. ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Presario Graphics