Sign in with
Your question

"First build" Gaming PC without GPU...for now

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 9:19:55 PM

This is my "first build", I have experience putting PCs together and configuring hardware but this is my first from the ground up. Currently setup without the GPU because my current PC is adequate enough for my gaming needs. I'll just be using this to have a build ready future gaming and get my technical skills up. Most likely throw my GTX 550ti in there until I can afford a 680. I have a spare optical drive, 250GB HDD and OS. MicroCenter also has a deal that if I pick up the CPU and MOBO together, I get $40 off the MOBO. The only issue is that the closest one is 2 hours away but luckily it's the city my dad lives in. Think its worth it to visit?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.73 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $720.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 16:24 EST-0500)

More about : build gaming gpu

January 29, 2013 9:34:15 PM

Builds looks nice. Case isn't my favourite, but nothing wrong with it.

Only real downside I see is the CPU cooling; if you want to be overclocking that CPU (and obviously you do) that cooler will only take you to around 4.2-4.3Ghz before maxing out your reasonable temps. You'll need at least a Noctua N-D14 to go beyond that and even it will struggle to keep temps down once you start pushing the voltage to reach 4.5Ghz. My H100i is just right for the job.
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:42:12 PM

MatildaPersson said:
Builds looks nice. Case isn't my favourite, but nothing wrong with it.

Only real downside I see is the CPU cooling; if you want to be overclocking that CPU (and obviously you do) that cooler will only take you to around 4.2-4.3Ghz before maxing out your reasonable temps. You'll need at least a Noctua N-D14 to go beyond that and even it will struggle to keep temps down once you start pushing the voltage to reach 4.5Ghz. My H100i is just right for the job.

I chose the case specifically because I like that while it's mid size, I'll still have a alot of room to work with for my first build. The only thing I'm thinking about is is that I'll most likely have to buy aftermarket fans for it. Any other cases you'd suggest? I'll definitely take a look at the H100i because I plan on OC'ing fairly quickly.
m
l
!