Sign in with
Your question

Best Mechanical Keyboard for my new school/gaming rig?

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2013 10:46:39 PM

Hey all,

I've been in the market for my first mechanical keyboard after building my rig. For a mouse, I know that I'll be getting the 2012 Razer Deathadder. Im not getting the 2013 version because it's twice as much, and I dont like the green color scheme. Plus, I don't need 6400 DPI. For the keyboard, I was thinking a Razer Blackwidow. Im really stuck between all the verisons. Ill break it down...

2012 Blackwidow:
PRO:
-Blue color scheme, which will complement the mouse; for an OCD person like me it's more important than you think lol
-A bit cheaper; a lot cheaper if you get the standard version - do I even need backlighting? (see below)
CON:
-Glossy finish; everyone complains about fingerprints, but I'm pretty neat and I don't eat at the computer. How much of a difference does a matte finish make?

2013 Blackwidow:
PRO:
-Matte finish; how important? (see above)
-Supposedly the backlighting is much better, but how important is backlighting? I don't work in total darkness a lot, and I mostly work during the day, next to a window. After all, backlighting adds quite a bit more to the price.
CON:
-Ugly ass green color scheme - doesn't really look good to the eyes, especially with a blue mouse next to it!

Thanks so much for helping me out guys! Everyone's opinion is valued!

Thanks again!
February 12, 2013 8:31:26 AM

Neither. The black widows are the lowest quality mechanicals especially for the price range and they have blue cherry switches which are purely for typing, very annoying for gaming (feeling wise) and EXTREMELY LOUD. Get red cherries or if you must have the "bump" browns. I recommend cm storm trigger if you want macro keys, otherwise your choices open up a ton. ducky, steelseries (if you dont mind the big L return) and if you dont need numpad without question the noppoo choc
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 12, 2013 8:49:14 AM

Have a look at other mechanical options like Ducky, Daas, Corsair, Steelseries, Filco and now even Coolermaster. All offer very nice mechanical keyboards that give you way more options than the Blackwidows do. Razer are known for their mice and a few headsets, not their keyboards.

First thing you want to figure out is which key-switch you want. There are a variety of different switches, though only four are really used.
- Blue is considered the best for typing. They are the loudest of the switches, clicking when you pass the actuation point (when the keyboard registers the input) and when bottoming out (pushing the key all the way down). Provide a decent level of resistance when you push the keys.
- Browns are essentially blue key-switches that don't click when you hit the actuation point, so they are a bit quieter.
- Reds have a much smoother travel than Blue/Brown, the actuation point is less pronounced when pushing down. They are also about the same as a brown for quietness.
- Blacks are like reds, but have an even smoother travel and require more force to push down on. If your a heavy handed typist and are going to bottom out anyway, these might be a good choice.

Blues and Browns are more for typing purposes, though will game just as well. However the more linear Red and Black keys are commonly recommended for gaming and offer a more natural transition from a membrane keyboard.

I personally use a Ducky DK9008 Shine II with Brown key-switches, though admittedly I have only had it for a few days so an expert on mechanical keyboards I am not :lol: .
I think it would be a good option for you, they come in virtually every key-switch and LED Backlight combination possible.

This might be a good test to take.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/first_mechanical_keyboar...
When I did it it said go for the Ducky, which was already at the top of my list so it was just confirmation of my choice for me.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2013 5:17:31 AM

manofchalk said:
Have a look at other mechanical options like Ducky, Daas, Corsair, Steelseries, Filco and now even Coolermaster. All offer very nice mechanical keyboards that give you way more options than the Blackwidows do. Razer are known for their mice and a few headsets, not their keyboards.

First thing you want to figure out is which key-switch you want. There are a variety of different switches, though only four are really used.
- Blue is considered the best for typing. They are the loudest of the switches, clicking when you pass the actuation point (when the keyboard registers the input) and when bottoming out (pushing the key all the way down). Provide a decent level of resistance when you push the keys.
- Browns are essentially blue key-switches that don't click when you hit the actuation point, so they are a bit quieter.
- Reds have a much smoother travel than Blue/Brown, the actuation point is less pronounced when pushing down. They are also about the same as a brown for quietness.
- Blacks are like reds, but have an even smoother travel and require more force to push down on. If your a heavy handed typist and are going to bottom out anyway, these might be a good choice.

Blues and Browns are more for typing purposes, though will game just as well. However the more linear Red and Black keys are commonly recommended for gaming and offer a more natural transition from a membrane keyboard.

I personally use a Ducky DK9008 Shine II with Brown key-switches, though admittedly I have only had it for a few days so an expert on mechanical keyboards I am not :lol: .
I think it would be a good option for you, they come in virtually every key-switch and LED Backlight combination possible.

This might be a good test to take.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/first_mechanical_keyboar...
When I did it it said go for the Ducky, which was already at the top of my list so it was just confirmation of my choice for me.

Sorry to revive this thread but I fell in love with the Ducky 9008 Shine II but I cannot find it anywhere with brown switches and blue backlight :(  Where did you get yours?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 9, 2013 5:37:50 AM

From what I'm aware of its relatively rare outside of Asia and the Australasian region since Ducky is a Taiwanese company, which is perfect for me since I live in Australia. I got it from PC Case Gear, a Melbourne based retailer.

Just looked up on Ducky's website and they have a retailer named Tiger Imports listed as an official partner in the US.
And very conveniently, they have exactly what you want (assuming your in the US).
http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_det...

Or if your not in the US, heres that list.
http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/partners.html
m
l
!