Newbie - please help on new $800 budget computer

seankennedy222

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hi all,

I'm new at building computers and I'd like to build one that can play movies to my TV and sound system. I do not need a mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, or wireless internet card.

I gave building a computer a go, but I don't think it's very good. It's called "New 800 computer" on newegg.com public and it's missing some parts: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=26623207

My requirements:

1. Must have a sound card either on mother board or separate but must have an SPDIF connector output. This allows me to run uncompressed sound to my receiver.
2. Video card must have a DVI connector and VGA connector OR 2 DVI connectors.
(A video card with only a DVI connector and an HDMI connector is no good for me, nor is a VGA + HDMI.)
3. Budget is $800.00 max
4. Computer will be used mostly playing movies from computer hard drive to HDTV connected to computer. I connect the computer DVI port to the HDMI port on my TV. And I connect the SPDIF from the sound card to my receiver. It gives me 5.1 surround sound and 1080p graphics. I might play some games if I get excited about it that much but it will never need to do both at the same time.

Could someone please let me know of a motherboard, videocard, or just a good computer build for these requirements? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

rainypayday

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Wish list doesn't show anything for me. Are you only going to be using this for watching movies? If so, $800 is quite a high budget, you could build a nice one for nearly half that.