Sign in with
Your question
Closed

System may be dead? Can't resolve issue need help!

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 12:03:01 AM

My build:
COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAD3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31

ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

EVGA 01G-P3-1467-AR GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Intel 40GB SSD(for OS)

WD Black Caviar 1TB HD(For games, videos, pics)

WD 500gb HD (for back up, utility etc.)

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory

Windows 7 64-bit with latest updates

Have had this build aside from since august 2010 without issue. Replaced ram when one stick died from 4gb to 16gb in august 2012.

Windows will not load from SSD or Windows 7 CD. Says file is missing or won't start up or will get frozen on "Loading windows" screen when I try to do start up repair.

Already tried reinstalling windows 7 on my SSD which worked for a few hours last night then tonight just decided to stop working when I got home to install drivers.\

I can't even get to a point where I can pull up my back up now.

I get blue lines on screen during computer booting/start up pre-windows.

I thought it might be a graphics card problem but even without the accelerated hardware drivers it was working for the most part last night while I tried to watch movies to comfort myself without internet.

Issues started on Sunday when I tried to load a game I had been playing for weeks but as soon as the cinematics started it simply crashed the system and gave me a blue screen error referring to some file.

Backed up system on next successful boot, cleaned registry, ran malware/anti-virus software nothing popped up. Checked updates for drivers and none appeared.

System was NOT O.C. beyond the specifications above.

all fans are working, lights are working, memory seems to be working(took one stick out leaving the other in and tried booting sunday both times got into windows, doesn't work now). Power cycled system and supply, turned it off over night last night after successful install.

Tried unplugging both hard drives and SSD and trying to load windows from CD, failed, tried each individually with CD failed.

I even tried booting with only one CPU core active each time and went through all 4 and made no difference. I'm not quite sure what the problem is or why it keeps black screening now or freezing when loading windows, but at this point I am ready to say screw this salvage what I can (ram/SSD/HDD) and build a new system. I would love to hear any advice on what I could do other than that(I don't have the ability to put parts into another system as I don't readily have access to one).
January 30, 2013 12:26:31 AM

Have you tried booting with another OS? Try running a Linux OS from a USB stick and see if it boots. Sounds like something is corrupt in your Windows OS or possibly a HDD failure.

If it gets as far as Windows screen I would think the CPU and MB are OK.
Score
January 30, 2013 1:05:51 AM

Could it be my graphics card? it won't actually get to the windows screen anymore it just black screens at that points or freezes with the windows loading in grey on a black screen with a loading bar underneath and if it manages to finish it says some "file is missing" I tried booting from the windows 7 DVD but its doing the same thing there.
Score
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2013 1:11:17 AM

Nope. If it displays a picture, then its not broken.
Score
January 30, 2013 1:33:15 AM

Hmm. It did the same thing when I removed my SSD and tried to load from Windows 7 CD.
Score
January 30, 2013 1:33:25 AM

Could one of the other HDD's be causing the issue then?

Edit: Just tried having only the SSD plugged in and powered and same issue is happening. It will get to "launch start up repair / Start windows normally" If i try to launch start up repair it simply fails to launch or black screens. IF i try to start windows normally it shows "starting windows" then black screens immediately. \

I'm still confused on why I am getting blue horizontal blobs on my screen though.

Score
January 30, 2013 1:41:49 PM

As of right now, I have limited what I think might be the problem to CPU overheating during start up or HDD/SDD failure or PS failure. Is there anyway to test that without being able to get into windows or even command prompt for that matter.
Score
January 31, 2013 4:50:59 PM

I've eliminated the CPU and PS as issues. I'm pretty sure either something is wrong with the CD-Rom and my SSD. I'm going to try and install windows on one of my other HDDs and see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't work then I'm giving up and just building a new system -.-.
Score
January 31, 2013 6:12:41 PM

Try burning a Linux OS to CD or USB. If it works, then you can eliminate hardware issues entirely. It does sound like something is corrupt somewhere.
Score
January 31, 2013 6:25:27 PM

Do you happen to have a link to somewhere I can get a free Linux OS from? I don't have access to any at work.
Score
February 1, 2013 12:37:56 AM

I put ubuntu onto a usb jump drive and tried to load it, but it wouldn't detect the jump drive. I had all my harddrives and my SSD unplugged. Also tried loading SSD without my CD-ROM in got to starting windows screen but bugged out before it could do any animation. The blue lines accross the screen are increasing. I'm guessing at this point the problem may be with my mobo itself?

I tested the jump drive on my laptop first to make sure it was working, and it was.
Score
February 1, 2013 2:05:27 AM

Did you change BIOS settings to boot to usb? It does not just detect it automatically, you have to tell it to.
Score
February 2, 2013 2:20:34 AM

Yes
Score
February 5, 2013 9:29:26 PM

I'm still not exactly sure what is wrong with my system but I am pretty sure it has something to do with my mother board. For whatever reason, it's not even detecting my SSD or HDDs now. I'm simply going to upgrade my mobo/cpu and call it a day.

I tried my Windows 7 DVD and the USB Linux that you guys suggested, adjusted settings accordingly on start up, but no go. Can't not have a computer any longer.
Score
February 5, 2013 11:06:35 PM

Sorry man. Sounds like you tried everything. That's probably what I would do too. Then you can test your old components and see if any can be reused.
Score
February 5, 2013 11:42:53 PM

I appreciate your help greatly! this thread can be closed thanks!
Score
!