Sign in with
Your question

Diamond AMD 7970 issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2012 11:28:45 PM

Ok so I am currently having an issue with my frame rates dropping when I play games like battlefield 3 or Far Cry 3. The game seems to run fine on ultra settings, 1920x1080, not even 5 mins in, my frames drop from good 60+fps, all the way down to the 10-20 fps. This is very annoying and happens quiet often, every 2-3 mins or so. At first I thought it was a temperature problem because the card would get up to 80 C, so I upped the power on my fan speed and maintain the temperature at around 60-65 C and the frame rate drops still occur. I have the latest drivers installed and even did fresh install of the drivers and this still happens. If anyone can shed some light on this, like if I might have a faulty card or something. any help is very much appreciated. Specs are below.

Computer Specs:

CPU: AMD FX(tm) - 8150 Eight-Core Processor 3.60GHz (With liquid cooling)

Power Supply: 1000W

RAM: 32.0 GB

Graphics: Diamond AMD 7970 3GB VRAM

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3

Anything else you would like to know, let me know.

P.S. This only occurs in high graphical intensive games as far as I can tell, like Far Cry 3 or BF3. Doesn't happen to me when i play Aion or Diablo 3.

More about : diamond amd 7970 issue

December 15, 2012 2:36:07 AM

Also one more thing, it doesn't matter what settings I put the game on low, medium, high, ultra. It does the same thing either way. Makes me believe there is something with directx11 since these types of games use it. Idk still really frustrating, if any would like to share their similar experiences maybe we can narrow it down.
m
l
December 22, 2012 1:42:12 AM

Well good news for whoever was reading. I got it working and fixed. For me I didn't know if it was an overheating problem or loss of power. Then one of my friends told me it could be my hard drive not pushing out enough. So I said *** it and purchased an SSD. Still no success. Even with the increase in performance the phenomenon still happened. I then look much closer to my components during the FPS drops. Then i notice the only thing that spiked was my CPU while everything else dropped. Going to 100% use. I didn't know if it was overheating or bottle necking. How could this be with liquid cooling and 1000W power supply. Then this led me to look up my motherboard. Which is an Asrock fx990 extreme 3. That led me to the drivers and bios. That's when I notice my bios has been out of date for a couple of years and that the new 1.50 version improves CPU use. Sure enough it worked. I have notice a big increase in CPU performance and now works like a charm. No more FPS drops. So before you go buying a new hard drive and graphics card make sure everything is up to date. It was no problem for me though. I always wanted an SSD and another 7970 to crossfire. So for me it was no big deal. Just really happy to have top performance for a change.
m
l
!