Sign in with
Your question

What type of server do I require?

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 1:03:52 AM

I am a high schooler and am Vice President for my school's Smartphone Programming Club. We have recognized as of late that having a server to send data to and receive data from is essential going forward. Since I am not that advanced in servers, I was wondering what kind of server we would have to purchase. What I am aiming for is to have an app be able to talk to a certain program running on a certain port on the server. Then, the server will send data back to the app. I know I need a static IP Address for this, but I wanted to know more about the hardware/actual computer system I would need to buy.

I was referred to this site from StackOverflow.

Thanks.

More about : type server require

January 30, 2013 10:06:51 AM

TheN00bBuilder said:
Something with good ethernet and a static IP adress. Basically, an I5 or I3 build with 4GB of RAM should be ideal. Here is one; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If I used a regular desktop, how would I be able to run the multiple server side applications at once? I would imagine it would be very tedious, no? That's kind of why I wanted a server because my belief was that running many of these server side applications would be easier on a server. If I'm wrong about it (probably true, I'm a n00b), I would appreciate a walk through or link of some kind describing how you could use the desktop system to run multiple server side programs at once and how servers do it for that matter.
m
l
!