Closed Solved

Need Help with First Gaming PC Build!

Hi! I"m looking to build my first PC because quite frankly my laptop sucks. I am a super heavy gamer, and I usually have to run games on very low resolution (800x6000-1280x1024). I don't know very much about compatibility of parts or getting my money's worth, so i've decided to ask for help on here :) I would like to be able to run games on max settings with a good framerate. (60fps would make me very happy :)) I play all types of games, especially mmos and action rpgs.

Approximate Purchase Date: Before the week is over :)

Budget Range: $600-650 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: This is 99.99% a gaming computer; the other .01% is for browsing the web lol

Are you buying a monitor: eventually... i don't need one at the moment, so the budget range does not include monitor

Parts to Upgrade:I already have a hard drive, mouse, monitor and keyboard....so everything else i need lol

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and Microcenter...If there is an INCREDIBLE deal elsewhere i would be willing to make exceptions

Parts Preferences: i would like to use the Intel Core i5 3570K and ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.... if these are bad choices then just scrap them lol

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: The monitor i plan on using for the next two weeks is 1280x768, but i plan on upgrading afterwards to 1920x1080.

Thanks in advance!!
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need gaming build
  1. UNless you can extend your budget the i5 and Z77 asrock are not ideal.

The graphics card is more important than the processor for gaming so a budget build probably looks like

AMD FX 6300 $130
    Asrock 970 extreme3 mb $75
    2 x4 gig of 1600 MHz RAM $45
    Radeon 7850 $160
    500 watt 80+ bronze or better psu $50
    case $50
    dvd drive $17
    Hard drive $65

$592
  2. Thanks for the quick reply man! I don't know if you overlooked my post, but i don't need a hard drive. Also, i've heard that 500watt isn't good for a gaming pc... is this true? I was told that the motherboard, processor, and graphics cards are the most important parts on a gaming pc, in that order. I'm wondering why you decided on this motherboard and went higher on the graphics card; i also want to include that i plan on upgrading my computer in the future ( i probably should have posted that on my OP).
  3. GodlyGamer said:
    Thanks for the quick reply man! I don't know if you overlooked my post, but i don't need a hard drive. Also, i've heard that 500watt isn't good for a gaming pc... is this true? I was told that the motherboard, processor, and graphics cards are the most important parts on a gaming pc, in that order. I'm wondering why you decided on this motherboard and went higher on the graphics card; i also want to include that i plan on upgrading my computer in the future ( i probably should have posted that on my OP).

A good quality (Antec, xfx, seasonic, corsair) 500w PSU will be plenty.

Your order of importance is incorrect. Gaming is about 85% GPU and 15% CPU. an i3 + 7870 will run rings around an i7 + 7770 every day. For a gaming build, its best to pinch pennies everywhere possible and buy the best possible GPU you can afford.
  4. tiny voices said:
    A good quality (Antec, xfx, seasonic, corsair) 500w PSU will be plenty.

Your order of importance is incorrect. Gaming is about 85% GPU and 15% CPU. an i3 + 7870 will run rings around an i7 + 7770 every day. For a gaming build, its best to pinch pennies everywhere possible and buy the best possible GPU you can afford.

Oh okay :) thanks a lot man!
  5. GodlyGamer said:
    Oh okay :) thanks a lot man!

Anytime! Glad to help.
  6. If you dont need the hard drive spend the extra money on a Radeon 7870 or GTX 660 .

The power supply you'd need can be found here
    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

A good 500 watt psu handles either . Easily .

A cheap bargain basement 500 watt psu will just blow up
  7. Best answer
    Since your budget is $650, I wouldn't recommend getting the i5 3570k + Arock Extreme4 because you will have to sacrifice a lot of other things and a good gaming computer has to have balance
    Just those two items will be over $350
    i5 3570k $229.99
    Asrock Extreme4 $134.99
    Total $364.98
    Leaving you with $285.02 to get a GPU, PSU, RAM, and a case.

Instead I recommend going the AMD route.
    ($99.99) CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    ($99.99) Mobo: ASRock 970 EXTREME4
    ($304.99) GPU: MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit
    ($69.99) PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W
    ($47.99) RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
    ($44.99) Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 311
    Total $667.24

This build is $17.24 over your budget, but I'm sure you can squeeze 20 bucks from somewhere. Also, I didn't add the rebate discounts and all that crap, which will make this build less than $650. With this you will probably max out almost all the games and not break your bank. The CPU will bottleneck the 7950, not by a lot but it will, so I recommend down the line to get an

($34.99) Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

and overclock it. If you don't feel like overclocking, get an

($229.99) GPU: XFX Black DD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit

and you will have left $57.06 in total to use in something else.
  8. Best answer selected by GodlyGamer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems