Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New PC won't turn on -- faulty PSU, CPU, MB?

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 2:35:44 AM

After putting everything together (all brand new parts, arrived today), the computer won't boot. No lights, no PSU fan spinning. No POST. Nothing at all. My standoffs are all where they are supposed to be (although some seem to be more flush with the case than others).

Specs:
Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer Case with All-Black Interior (RC-430-KWN1)
Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor G860 3.0 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80623G860
Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB SATA III internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TD120BW
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US)
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card 01G-P4-2650-KR
AS Rock PRO4-M LGA1155 Intel H77 Quad CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 A V GbE MATX Motherboard H77
Patriot Gamer 2 Series Division 2 Edition DDR3 8 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 Memory Modules PGD38G1600ELK

I breadboxed it and still nothing.
After that, I unplugged everything from the PSU and shorted the green and black with a paperclip. When I do that, the PSU fan spins.
I plugged the PSU back into the motherboard and tried shorting the POWER SWITCH pins in case it was a problem with my case. Nothing.
I then plugged my motherboard into a spare computer's PSU. Again nothing.

I just ordered a replacement motherboard, but I want to make sure that this isn't also/instead a CPU problem. Thoughts? Even though the new mobo is coming, I'll take any troubleshooting suggestions. Would love to get everything up and running before the replacement arrives on Thursday. Side note, my case has two different sets of screws that are really difficult to tell one from the other. If the screws fit in the standoffs, they're most likely not going to short the board, right?

More about : turn faulty psu cpu

a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2013 3:03:05 AM

The PSU could be bad. Coolermaster PSUs are pretty low quality and aren't recommended.

Some reliable brands are Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.
January 30, 2013 8:44:50 AM

tiny voices said:
The PSU could be bad. Coolermaster PSUs are pretty low quality and aren't recommended.

Some reliable brands are Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.

There's no denying that the CM PSU is poor quality now that I have my hands on it. But that can't be the sole problem, though. Even with second PSU, still no POST or any activity for that matter.
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2013 10:59:29 AM

CPUs rarely ever go bad, so it must be the motherboatd.
February 1, 2013 10:38:33 AM

Best answer selected by robbrechter.
!