Sign in with
Your question

First build

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 3:32:43 AM

Hey guys. I just joined Tomshardware and I'm fairly new to computer stuff. I want to build my first decent-gaming computer soon. My budget is ~$850 with a monitor. I don't live near a microcenter, which is why I chose AMD for a budget. The thing that I'm mostly worried about was the motherboard because I heard a lot of the bios system aren't compatible with Vishera unless you upgrade them. I chose the Asus mobo because I can do the usb flash bios if I need to. How's my first build? :D 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($73.00 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH232H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $840.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 00:32 EST-0500)

Forgot to mention, I will do a little overclocking in the future to bring it to 4-4.3ghz.

More about : build

January 30, 2013 4:14:29 AM

Yeah, those are good parts. I won't change anything. Rather than in the future, you might need to overclock the CPU right away because the FX6300 will slightly bottleneck the 7870. You could run it at stock speed and see how it goes but if you think and know you're not getting enough performance from the card, it's probably because the CPU is holding it back (maybe a little, maybe more).
January 30, 2013 4:24:33 AM

Since this is my first build, I don't really want to overclock it right away. I want to feel how it runs for about a week and then overclock it. I actually might change to a HIS 7870: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/his-video-card-h787q2g2m if the Powercooler XT doesn't come back in stock when I'm buying this build and with the HIS, it shouldn't bottleneck as much since its not a tahiti le right?
Related resources
January 30, 2013 4:29:35 AM

Parts look pretty good. I would recommend a different Case though (I have the HAF 912 and love it!), just because you could take advantage of the Front USB 3.0 ports that the case below has (the HAF 912 only has USB 2.0 ports, not that it's a bad thing):

$50 shipped!
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

You could also go with a bit cheaper PSU, if you like:
$50 - $20 MIRc = $30!!! Has 48A on the 12v rail (used mainly for GPU power)! It doesn't come with a power cord, but you can re-use one or get one for little $.
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

The ~$40 PSU price difference could get you into the 7950 price range if you like, but it's up to you. The Seasonic PSU is a really good one, so there is nothing wrong with wanting that PSU :) 
January 30, 2013 4:32:12 AM

Yeah, good card. Anyway, what I'm trying to say (but didn't quite sound right the first time) is, if you're satisfied with the performance at stock, no need to overclock. But if you do found out that the card under performs, you should know the CPU is holding it back.
January 30, 2013 4:42:18 AM

Your build looks great. At $850, it's got everything. You might want to consider a slightly bigger Asus 24” monitor.. about the same price but better for movies.

Also, good idea on waiting a week before overclocking. Make sure your system is stable and run benchmarks. Afterwards read up on overclocking your specific CPU and once you understand some basics then slowly push it. The hard part I found was keeping the settings set for a day or so before pushing it more.

The only thing I don't know is how good is the motherboard that you choose.?.
January 30, 2013 4:45:44 AM

lunyone said:
Parts look pretty good. I would recommend a different Case though (I have the HAF 912 and love it!), just because you could take advantage of the Front USB 3.0 ports that the case below has (the HAF 912 only has USB 2.0 ports, not that it's a bad thing):

$50 shipped!
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

You could also go with a bit cheaper PSU, if you like:
$50 - $20 MIRc = $30!!! Has 48A on the 12v rail (used mainly for GPU power)! It doesn't come with a power cord, but you can re-use one or get one for little $.
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

The ~$40 PSU price difference could get you into the 7950 price range if you like, but it's up to you. The Seasonic PSU is a really good one, so there is nothing wrong with wanting that PSU :) 

If you wanna save money - then look at this Antec PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec Neo Eco 620 watt like the one you - this one is made by SeaSonic.

You are basically getting the same PSU, but the one you picked is 80 Bronze and this is "only" 80 Plus.
But the price is $30 after the mail in rebate!
January 30, 2013 4:45:53 AM

envy14tpe said:
Also, good idea on waiting a week before overclocking. Make sure your system is stable and run benchmarks. Afterwards read up on overclocking your specific CPU and once you understand some basics then slowly push it. The hard part I found was keeping the settings set for a day or so before pushing it more.

Nice advice.

envy14tpe said:
The only thing I don't know is how good is the motherboard that you choose.?.

A friend of mine has that board running a phenom II cpu (at 4GHz I believe). So far, it hasn't gave him any problems yet.
!