How can i connect a firewire hard drive to a home network

flappy

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi, i'm kind of stuck, here is my setup, (pretty basic but impressive for me as i'm not the best when it comes to this stuff) I have a apple time capsule feeding into a tp link ethernet switch, connected to this i have a macbook pro, apple tv2 and a wd ethernet hard drive. I have just bought a wd firewire hard drive and would like to know how i can connect this to my "home network" as far as i can see the only way is straight into my macbook, if i do it that way will i still be able to back up onto my other drives and vice versa. Like i said i'm not the best at this sort of thing, everything is trial and error with me, stupidly i presumed my time capsule would have a firewire port but it doesn't, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Andy.

flappy

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Thats the only way is it, bummer. Many thanks for your help,

Does the drive have only firewire, or USB as well? If it has USB, you can get a router that has support for USB drive connections and can share that drive out on your network without it being attached to a computer.

flappy

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Yes it does have a usb, I have a usb on my time capsule but have an old hard drive connected to it, could i plug a usb hub into the time capsule and run the 2 hard drives via the hub into it?

flappy

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Yea I have one here thats powered. Thanks for that your a star :)