Gigabyte 7970 GHz edition, not overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Hey!
Got my GB 7970 Ghz edition 5 days ago.
I installed the beta driver and stuff, using a 620W PSU, 8GB ram 1600, i5-3570K @ 4.4
I really cant overclock the GPU at all. Like really, at all.
If I boost the frequency by even 20, the driver begins to shut down randomly and stuff.
I tried contacting the store, but they said because its alread overclocked, I really shouldnt OC it, and there is nothing wrong because its faster than the ref GHz edition. Obviously theyre wrong.
As above, if I try to change ANY setting by even 20, even with older drivers, none beta drivers, it still crashes. Voltage, by Gigabyte's OC Guru, is 1.256V.
It doesnt get hot at all. Goes to around 65C in full stress.
What do I do? Im desperate to overclock it..

BriboCN

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
As long as the card can run at specs nothing is technically wrong. It runs within advertised specification. What is preventing you from achieving a better OC is likely 2 things.

First off the GHZ edition gained the boost ability that Nvidia had been using for awhile. The card will automatically OC itself another 50 MHZ under load. I am not sure if gigabyte disables this feature because they are doing a set OC in house but if not understand the card is capable of running at 1150mhz before you ever touch it.

Second, and likely the biggest factor is you didn't get a great binned chip. The better the chip the more it is capable of. It sounds like the chip you got was the bottom of the barrel for a GHZ edition and it could handle being a ghz edition chip but little more.

A 3rd possible factor is your PSU is being stressed enough by the card and anything further overclocking causes problems. Depending on the quality of your PSU I guess this could be an issue, although unlikely

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

First, I think you're right because if I do a Furmark test, it's stable when I OC the clock, and if I boost the mem it starts crashing, but when I OC the clock only and play say BF3 or FC3, it starts crashing.

Second, that sucks! REALLY sucks! Because I saw people reaching 1280 and stuff...

3rd, I have a 620 SeaSonic PSU. Its quite good :) Should I underclock my CPU a little from 1.34V 4.4GHz to 4GHz or something with less V usage? Will that help, maybe?

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

That's my point exactly - I cant get past 1100/1600 at ALL. Maybe like 10 but I even tried 20 and it doesnt OC..... And my history with that shop is kinda bad from my side - they're great!
Went there after I got a reference 7970 because of coil whine. They replaced it 3 times, then replaced the PSU 3 times, then I returned both and bought a ref 680, and then returned it to get the 7970 because the NV was really loud..
So I cant really go there and ask for a replacement.
Any idea what to do?

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

What am I doing exactly?

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
There isnt really any result..
But Ill tell you what happened.
(Stock speed of the GHz edition by Gigabyte is 1100\1500) I OC'ed to 1200\1600.
Started OCCT, unlimited the FPS because it was locked to 60 and it reached only 40% use.
Pressed start.
Waited .3 seconds.
The sound got stuck, screen stuck, nothing responding. Had to do a hard restart.

If you do not complete the full run, the folder containing the charts will not open, but the charts will still be recorded in Users> Appdata> OCCT (or, someplace like that), and the charts themselves will note that the run was aborted.

Don't OC the video card, and simply do a full run with the CPU test. Don't do the GPU test (it's FurMark!). Under 'Options' verify that graphs is checked (I believe its the default).

OCCT-example_0_zpsd691055c.jpg

When the run is complete, the folder that opens will contain 6-8 charts on your voltages, and will look something like this ...

OCCT_2011-12-06-12h31-Volt12.png

This is the 12v line to the CPU, but there will also be a chart on the 12v line to the GPU. Note the voltage line and the reported ripple in the title description.

Does this make sense? :lol: Good luck!

Edit: Do the full-hour run!

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Sorry I am too lazy to do that. I think I will just call them and ask them again, maybe they can test it over at them. Its just REALLY weird I cant OC it.
Or I will just wait and not OC because its just unneccecery on this kind of GPU and.. Buy the 8970 when it comes out :D

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

As above, a good Seasonic 620W

Status
Not open for further replies.