Sign in with
Your question

Rate My First Build?

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 6:06:24 AM

Specs- PSU= 500 watt, GFX Card= Geforce GTX 550ti 1GB. CPU= AMD A8 3870 K 3.0GHZ Quad Core BLACK EDITION, RAM= 16GBS DDR3 G SKILL. Case= Zalman Z11.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/...

Go easy on me its my first build and i dont have alot of money to throw around, 60 fps on Far Cry 3, 50 to 60 in Crysis 2. 45 to 50 in Crysis 3.

Level of satisfaction with the performance of the PC overall? Best PC ive ever owned thats for sure. cost was about 800ish.

More about : rate build

January 30, 2013 6:07:49 AM

Going to work on wire management later this week and clear out that clutter.
m
l
January 30, 2013 6:18:32 AM

Looks good, but the wiring is a mess.
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2013 6:26:46 AM

Whenever i get the time ill be unplugging and re routing all that stuff the Z 11 has lots of space behind the mobo there for cable management. For now the temps are fine so not really a huge rush to do it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2013 6:58:14 AM

Why in the world did you buy an APU?

I can understand the rest of it since you're on a budget, but the only reason to buy an APU is because you need the decent integrated graphics - as a processor they're meh. (You can get lucky with overclocking headroom, but not always.)
m
l
January 30, 2013 7:17:07 AM

what brand is that psu?
m
l
January 30, 2013 4:07:09 PM

DarkSable said:
Why in the world did you buy an APU?

I can understand the rest of it since you're on a budget, but the only reason to buy an APU is because you need the decent integrated graphics - as a processor they're meh. (You can get lucky with overclocking headroom, but not always.)

Originally bought a prebuilt HP. Didnt like its cases lack of cooling. Took it all apart. And started upgrading it, then put it into a Z11, socket type was FM1 3870k was the highest i could go. Ive got no complaints with its performance. Until i run into a game i cant run, ill stick with my A8. in about 2 years though ill be getting a new board and CPU. Most likely i7.
m
l
January 31, 2013 6:05:15 PM

if thats a top power 550 pm psu its a low end psu. im sure the 550ti needs 25amps at the 12v rail....the top power only has 20amps
m
l
February 1, 2013 1:45:16 AM

ARICH5 said:
if thats a top power 550 pm psu its a low end psu. im sure the 550ti needs 25amps at the 12v rail....the top power only has 20amps

Funny thing is it just died last night. Can anyone link me the best 80 to 100 dollar PSU i can buy? im running my old PSU at 350 watts, with no gfx card plugged in (since it obviously cant run it) thank god for my APU or i would be doing no gaming at all thanks AMD <3 I need a minimum 400 watt for my card, its the gigabyte single slot version with the 100mm fan. not OC'ed. any body?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2013 1:54:34 AM

Get any 500-550w PSU from Antex, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.
m
l
February 1, 2013 4:40:51 AM

tiny voices said:
Get any 500-550w PSU from Antex, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.

Like this?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
it needs molex plugs for fans to. My case has 5. 2 run off the mobo. my mobo only has one plug so i solved that with a splitter cable. but for the rest of the 5 i need PSU plugs. atleast 3 spairs. After powering GPU, HDD, and motherboard obviously. as long as it stays under 100 bucks ill buy it. Ill only go over 100 if its absolutely necessary for my system.
m
l
February 1, 2013 1:46:56 PM

yes thats a great cpu. modular, 80+, great reputation and a good price. and enough molex to choke a giraffe.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2013 4:50:33 PM

ARICH5 said:
yes thats a great cpu. modular, 80+, great reputation and a good price. and enough molex to choke a giraffe.

I think you mean PSU.

And yes, this is a good quality PSU.
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:04:20 PM

What's a good PSU wattage for a GTX 670, Core i5 processor and the essentials?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2013 5:19:09 PM

600w would be fine. Make sure its from a good quality manufacturer like the brands I listed above.
m
l
February 1, 2013 8:16:04 PM

no its the new cpu...the one with extra molex's sprouting out of it!

seriously ya...i meant the psu
m
l
February 2, 2013 9:49:02 PM

ARICH5 said:
no its the new cpu...the one with extra molex's sprouting out of it!

seriously ya...i meant the psu

OH GOD WHAT UNHOLY OCTOPUSSERY IS THIS CPU DOING, NO MOLEX TENTACLES I DO NOT WANT YOU THERE. GET.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2013 3:03:12 AM

You can easily use a 500w PSU and be safe. Its best to stick with Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.
m
l
February 3, 2013 3:10:43 AM

If the darn thing works--WONDERFUL!!! It looks like my 1st build, but everyone is right when they say those wires need to be worked on just a bit. Don't let some of these geeks put you down, you're doin' a GREAT job for your first time!! :bounce: 
m
l
February 3, 2013 6:34:29 AM

tiny voices said:
You can easily use a 500w PSU and be safe. Its best to stick with Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic.

Corsair CX 500 it is. Going to buy from Direct Canada. Free shipping, that way i can afford the thing. get payed, buy 75 dollar prepaid credit card. order, receive it in 3 days since it ships from a facility an hour away from my house. Bam boom done :)  Then i can be up and running my 550ti again. man i miss Crysis 2 online :c
m
l
February 3, 2013 6:37:56 AM

offcenter said:
If the darn thing works--WONDERFUL!!! It looks like my 1st build, but everyone is right when they say those wires need to be worked on just a bit. Don't let some of these geeks put you down, you're doin' a GREAT job for your first time!! :bounce: 

Welp new PSU on the way, so this time around im def going to focus on using my cases wire management areas. Should increase airflow and maybe even drop my card a few degrees in idle. I was in a bit of a hurry the first time round to get it built and gaming, but this time im going to make it look like a mechanical piece of art. All neat and stuff. After all i want my money and investment to go as far as it can, which is why i dont want to accept any more corner cutting, its either good quality parts or i aint buying, which is why im being so picky about which PSU i get this time around. Ive heard nothing but good things about every corsair product i can think of so. Heres hoping i can power myself back up and get booting again. K im done with the puns. :3
m
l
February 15, 2013 5:43:45 AM

tiny voices said:

Well everyone the deed is done. Everything was neat and tidy until the molex plugs for my fans had to go in. There just wasnt any space left to tuck them away lol. May work on finding a better spot later, but it is way neater then it was before. Card now idles at 33 in a very warm room. So numerous problems were solved with this new PSU. the CX500M is amazing. Here is a PIC of my PC sitting on my desk awaiting my attempt at re pasting the CPU, with Artic Silver 5. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/...
m
l
!