Gaming Mini-ATX PC build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 8:07:23 AM

Hello,

Could you please give me a quick advice regarding this configuration? It's been a long time since I built a PC, especially for games, and wanted to see if there are any issues with any of the components.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($97.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($228.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone SST-PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $794.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 05:03 EST-0500)

I know at least that the CPU is ok :) . The issues are with the Video Card, Motherboard and maybe Case/Power Supply.

Regards

More about : gaming mini atx build

January 30, 2013 8:12:56 AM

For gaming you don't need 16GB RAM. But if you can and want to, I guess it's fine.

I checked Silverstone's website on the PS07. It seems like there's no clearance issue. You're good to go. The rest of the parts are fine.

$228 seems a bit too high for a 7850 right now especially since you can fine 7870s around $220-230 at Newegg. You could consider changing that. That psu can still handle it, no problem.
January 30, 2013 8:22:41 AM

PSU: 520w is good for your build, but try to get a slightly more efficient PSU. (80 bronze)
Seasonic or Antec

Memory: 8gb is plenty and be careful cuz some RAM are tall and won't fit with a big CPU cooler.
(I've never seen my memory usage go beyond 6gb.)

CPU: 3570k is great, but needs a special cooler. The Cooler Master Evo is extremely popular, works great, and cheap. You have to buy one.

Case: mini cases have greater heat issues. For gaming desktops, they aren't advised especially considering you are getting a 7850. Also, don't forget to have 3 case fans and one should be a side case fan.

GPU: money saved by buying less RAM can go towards a 7870 Tahiti. It's a best!

Mobo: I'm not familiar with your choice.
Related resources
January 30, 2013 8:39:14 AM

why does he need a special cooler?
January 30, 2013 12:10:53 PM

jcurry23 said:
why does he need a special cooler?

People choose the "k" model... 3570k... and "Z" model of Z77 because they plan on overclocking. If so, then the Intel cooler is not adequate for a safe system. Second, I've been told that the Intel cooler has a loud fan and doesn't keep the CPU cool well.
January 30, 2013 12:21:38 PM

EzioAs said:
He could get by with the stock cooler if he's not overclocking the CPU just yet. But, at some point, he probably will so...my recommendations:

Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Thermaltake Frio
Noctua NH-D14

Would you rather install everything at once or wait a month and buy a special cooler? If you'd rather wait then it means you have to remove the motherboard and and disconnect everything then reapply thermal paste and install the motherboard (again) and rewire everything. .... time consuming and not good advice.

However, all your coolers are good choices. If I overclocked my cpu more (better mobo) then I would have bought the Frio.
January 30, 2013 12:28:17 PM

envy14tpe said:
Would you rather install everything at once or wait a month and buy a special cooler? If you'd rather wait then it means you have to remove the motherboard and and disconnect everything then reapply thermal paste and install the motherboard (again) and rewire everything. .... time consuming and not good advice.

I did not advice him that :??:  . I was just saying he could use the stock cooler for a while. There might also be the case that he's not overclocking straight away, it maybe years later before he's overclocking the CPU when the CPU is the bottleneck with later video cards.
January 30, 2013 12:35:14 PM

EzioAs said:
He could get by with the stock cooler if he's not overclocking the CPU just yet. But, at some point, he probably will so...my recommendations:

Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Thermaltake Frio
Noctua NH-D14

Thank you all for your replies and advice. For now, I'll stick with the stock cooler because I will not OC the CPU [yet]. Plus I don't mind if I'll have to disassemble everything to add a new cooler. Thanks for the suggestions!
September 14, 2013 11:52:57 AM

In my experience, the 7850 will be great, but you can find them for way cheaper (159.99, link posted below). If you're wanting a good investment, go for CPU cooler. I have a Cooler Master 212 Evo with my i5-3570k :)  and it's huge in my Mid ATX case. Be aware that most of the CM coolers are huge, but I got it for $19 so I can't complain much.

Less RAM. Add a cooler. Fix 7850 price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You save like $110 from these suggestions (enough for a decent 128+GB SSD. HDD's aren't fun for gaming once you've seen an SSD (or better yet, a pair in RAID0).

If you're interested:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/408885/SSDNow_V300_1...(SSD)_with_SandForce_2281_Controller
September 15, 2013 8:11:24 AM

Wow. A 9 month old DEAD thread was awakened and put to sleep again.

Still have no idea why someone would buy a "K" chip + Z77 mobo and not overclock. Real head scratcher and waste of money.
!