Not open for further replies.

meepdacreep

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
So a couple weeks ago I bought a hp envy desktop which has these specs

AMD Six-Core FX-6120 Processor with AMD Radeon HD 7450 graphics

For reliable computing power.
10GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM

For multitasking power, expandable to 32GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
6MB L2/up to 8MB L3 cache memory

For efficient system processing.
1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

Offers plenty of storage capacity and fast read/write times.
AMD Radeon HD 7450 graphics

Feature 1GB dedicated video memory (up to 4830MB total available as allocated by Windows 8) for lush images with stunning detail.
Multidisplay capable

Allows you to connect a second monitor for additional work space (monitors not included).
15-in-1 media reader

Supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card, MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard mobile, MultiMediaCard Plus, Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, miniSD, CompactFlash I/II and Microdrive formats.

Also supports Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo formats.
2 USB 3.0 ports and 8 USB 2.0 ports

For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
Built-in 2.4GHz high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)

Connect to the Internet without wires.
Bluetooth 4.0 interface

Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.

But I recently gotten into pc gaming and all that good stuff so I bought a gtx660 graphics card and a 500 watt fan.

What Im wondering is if it would be a good idea to just return everything I have purchased and build a computer myself.

The price I would be refunded is around 930$

Would it be worth it to build my own PC and could I get better parts for that price

Any advice would help

Solution
It's a lot better, it would eat what you currently have. :lol:

I've honestly never even heard of a Radeon HD 7450 up til now, it's probably on the lowest end. The 7950 is like 10x better.

The FX-6120 is from the Bulldozer line, which is known to be pretty bad(being nice) at games.

10gb of RAM imo is all it has going for, but you won't need that. I have 8gb of RAM on my system, and I barely go pass 4gb even with 2-3 different games running at the same time.

His build has an SSD which is where I install OS and it generally speeds up the whole system.

As for Intel vs AMD, the former has a better architecture for single-threaded programs which is mostly what games are right now. The FX-6300 is a great improvement over its Bulldozer...

meepdacreep

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Lmao thanks, I just wanted a new desktop and didn't realize how easy and cheaper it would be to build one, I bought it at best buy and im pretty sure they have a 30 day return policy so I plan to return tomorrow and go from there

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Ah, alright then.

Well, manofchalk seems to have replied to your thread with a very nice build. I doubt it gets better than that. I'm on a 7950 as well and it's maxing out everything I throw at it so far.

You can opt to change the case if you prefer another, it's mostly just personal preference.

Cheers!

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
It's a lot better, it would eat what you currently have. :lol:

I've honestly never even heard of a Radeon HD 7450 up til now, it's probably on the lowest end. The 7950 is like 10x better.

The FX-6120 is from the Bulldozer line, which is known to be pretty bad(being nice) at games.

10gb of RAM imo is all it has going for, but you won't need that. I have 8gb of RAM on my system, and I barely go pass 4gb even with 2-3 different games running at the same time.

His build has an SSD which is where I install OS and it generally speeds up the whole system.

As for Intel vs AMD, the former has a better architecture for single-threaded programs which is mostly what games are right now. The FX-6300 is a great improvement over its Bulldozer sister, but it's mostly for multi-threaded stuff such as video rendering.

That said, it's not bad for a gaming CPU if you want an AMD build. You can opt to get the FX-8320 if you want 4 modules/8 cores as opposed to the 6300's 3 modules/6 cores.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.