Recommend me a GPU

xELITEx

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Alright so I would like the best GPU I could get for gaming.

Budget:
-$150
-$200 if nothing will bottleneck on my pc

Current specs:
AMD Phenom II(tm) 830 2.8 GHz
6 GB DDR3 RAM at 2000.0 MHz
FOXCONN Model 2AB1 MOBO
750 GB SATA 3.0 Gb/sec 7200 RPM HDD
250W Power Supply(Upgrading this to Corsair 600W)

cainy1991

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
your cpu will quickly become the bottleneck in your system once you upgrade your gpu..
but at that price range I would go for a 7850 2gb now they are sub $200 (I think mwave has them...$187 at the moment... in australia probably cheaper there if you are in the USA)

xELITEx

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I realize about the CPU I was going to upgrade to the AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz and thats why I said if nothing bottlenecks $200 would be the price range, so will the 7850 not bottleneck on my pc?

cainy1991

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
its a little hard to tell quite honestly as I have not had experience with that processor specifically but I know that an i3 2100 dosnt bneck a 7850 (as this is the gaming set ups at solutionz for lan nights) sooo with a tiny OC on your current cpu and you should be fine... but even if it does bneck it ever so slightly I would still suggest the 7850 because of the 2gb of VRAM... if you where to get a 7770 or something for example... when you did get a new cpu... you would be kicking yourself for not getting the 850

cainy1991

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
after a wee bit of googling I have found that your cpu easily clocks to 3.9....
and my 960 at 3.9 is still more than enough to not hold back 6870x3 (in fact I score higher than a single 680 in many titles) soo unlike what regina says you should be fine, with just a little OC

regina_49

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Proof from reliable source ? Without it OP do not listen to that.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

That's not entirely true, it should be fine with just a GPU upgrade. Above a 7870, bottlenecks may appear.

I would point out that you have yet to show a Phenom not bottlenecking 6870x3, I'll ignore it because it has no relevance to this thread whatsoever ;).

It should get to 3.9GHz without problem, but this will depend based on the exact chip, motherboard, RAM and luck of the draw.

Also the OP should watch out for voltages.

Discrediting and argument are fine as long as they do not involve slander.

Violations - It violates the Tom's Hardware Rules of Conduct if you engage in any of the following activity:

Post, promote or distribute any content that is illegal.
Promote or encourage activity which is illegal, such as hacking, cracking, scamming.
Harass, threaten, embarrass or insult other users, including sending unwanted messages, attacking race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Ad hominem attacks are not permitted.
Hate speech is not permitted. You may not post or distribute content that is harmful, abusive, racist, homophobic, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of privacy, or objectionable.
Disrupt the natural flow of forum discussion through vulgar language, spamming, flooding, or any variant.
Trolling, defined as knowingly soliciting strong negative responses simply for shock value.
Posting off-topic posts in inappropriate forums.
Impersonation.
Phishing. A moderator will never ask for your password.
Upload or link to files which contain a virus or malware.
Make posts to advertise or promote, forward chain letters, pyramid schemes or multi-level marketing programs.

Two more things: Forum accounts are non-transferable. Actions taken by a user on one account may affect all of that user's accounts.

Official Tom's Hardware rules: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277636-28-read-first

and besides reggie...where the fk is your proof? just discredit me for no reason, when I have nothing to gain...by telling him this... if anything Im trying to help the guy... why the fk would I lie?

you=failure at life

Here exactly is when the thread turns sour. Prior to this, we have reasonable discourse. It is reasonable to ask for evidence and proof. In the case of this post, you have used some not so nice language.

It doesn't matter who is right in terms of technicality, what does matter is when people purposefully tell lies or when people don't follow proper discourse.

Once that begins, the thread collapses...

Wow you must feel like a big man talking to girls so tuff huh

Which also snowballs...

Young man you have been reported for the way you decided to handle this your behavior is pathetic. :)

And snowballs...

an Internet screen name has no indication of gender...
you assume I'm male.. because my last name is cain? ..... your not even as bright as I initially thought you where.
Besides if you had not been so Cu^t you wouldn't have gotten a response such as that, I was answering a persons question.. your the one who came out of nowhere and insulted me... the fact your a female is 100% irreverent...and the fact you brought it up just proves your sexist.

Etc...

You are crazy and you started it discrediting me so get your facts straight little one.

Etc...

read back carefully though all the posts... you will see who discredits who first...
also who made a non racial/sexual/age discriminatory outburst.. an uncalled for outburst none the less.. but remember I had just been defamed with no provocation.
VS
who made a sexist/age discriminatory "comeback"
If this where a legal matter.. I would be fine.. soo I think the guys who are modding the forum can see this also and implement this into decision.

also sorry elite for hijacking your post.

Just one thing, not all the moderators are guys :p.

I am deleting all the posts that are offending. They will be invisible to all but moderators, so moderators can see the evidence if needby. This should clear the thread for true discussion and discourse.

I am officially warning both cainy and regina. Do not under any circumstances attack other users of this forum. If you wish to speak about this matter, feel free to do so with a private message. I am leaving appropriate sentencing up to the moderator council, as both parties here at at fault (an interesting situation, to say the least).

xELITEx

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Alright well I figured out I can't OC my CPU due to my BIOS being locked so will the CPU become a bottleneck without a OC or should it be fine, also I was thinking about the 7870 because it's currently only $20 more than the 7850 and it gives better performance.

Bipolarity

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
elite try using your catalyst control center, as you can overclock your cpu without bios or voltage bump... you may not be able to get as high as you would have otherwise
but you will still get a good performance upgrade:D

Enjoy your new card man:D

xELITEx

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I've been trying to get CCC to work for weeks now, I've tried everything I can find, and nothing works.

Been through many computer repairs and everything trying to get it to work and can't. :/

TRENDING THREADS