Monitors not detecting my computer, please help!

pigeonsandwich

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
First of all, this is my first time posting in these forums and I hope I'm in the right area...

A few hours ago I finished my first ever PC build that I intended to use for gaming. BUT, when I switch it on nothing appears on the monitor.
My graphics card has no VGA port, only a HDMI and DVI-I port.

I tried using a DVI-D cable and my pc was not detected. Then I tried using a VGA cable with a DVI-A adapter/dongle, yet still no display.

So then I tried grabbing a different monitor and tested the previous methods with no luck, and then tried using a HDMI cable. Still, no display.

At this point I'm assuming the issue lies within my PC.
Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that could help me fix this problem? I'm really hoping I haven't caused any permanent damage... :(

Video card: VTX radeon HD 7950 X-edition
Motherboard: asrock 970 extreme 3
PSU: coolermaster 625W

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

pigeonsandwich

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

I just checked again, the GPU and both of it's PCI plugs are sitting snug.
Any other suggestions? :(

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
My next thought would be to connect to the onboard video of the mobo and see if you get output there. That would narrow down if it's GPU or your system. Unfortunately just looked at your mobo and there's no on board.

Can you try the GPU in another rig?

pigeonsandwich

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

I currently don't have any other desktops to test the card in... For now I'll try testing it in another slot

pigeonsandwich

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

So I just tried using a different GPU with no luck, so I think my GPU is okay...
I doubt the CPU could be causing this issue?
So that leaves my motherboard or power supply... Do you have anymore advice? It helps [:djdecibel:5]

pigeonsandwich

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Thanks for all the suggestions but I think I found the problem, I forgot to install the stand-offs... :sweat: