Sign in with
Your question

Building new system

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 10:45:32 AM

Hi how much faster is DESK top i7 3770 PC compared to my ASUS i7 2.2GHZ laptop. I have an AMD AMD 2.6GHZ 9950 system that i am considering upgrading. The main activity I do is video HD recoding. I could spend a bit of money buying extra ram for the laptop and upgrading to a solid state hard to give an extra boost for video encoding/recoding or spend £500 and upgrade the desktop to an i7 for a dedicated media encoding solution. The question is how much quicker would the i7 3770 desk be compared to the laptop after upgrading. If the desktop is 2 times as quick as the laptop then it might be worth it. The laptop CPU is i7 2670QM.

More about : building system

a b D Laptop
January 30, 2013 12:25:56 PM

Your present system is a good one. A desktop with an i7 3770 will definitely outperform your laptop; expect a gain of over 50% (conservative).

Desktops are easier to upgrade later on.
a b D Laptop
January 30, 2013 3:27:37 PM

Desktop CPUs and GPUs are nothing like their mobile counterparts. The mobile versions are designed to run off a battery which means they use less power and therefore don't run nearly as well as the one that would run off a power supply.
!