Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Laserdisc Cover Scanning Question

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:23:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?

I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.

Thanks

J
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 9:23:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

well I am sure you could spend $3000 on one of those industrial 14x18
(or whatever they are) that will do the job for ya, or simply use a
digital camera :-)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:23:20 -0500, Headlylm <headlylm@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
>
>I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
>My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
>
>Thanks
>
>J
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 9:29:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

> Headlylm <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any advise on how to scan
> albums or laserdisc covers?

For what end use of the images? eBay auctions?
Full-size repro? Poster enlargements? Museum archive?

> I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough
> to scan the covers? My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.

200 dpi likely suffices for almost any application,
and that works out to just over 6Mp for the cover,
or an 8Mp digital camera (because the aspect ratios
don't match).

An 8Mp camera and copy stand can be had for less than
a scanner with a 13-in platen. In either case, be sure
to invest in some color chips to include in the image
for color correction, and do not use the flash on the
camera.

For a small number of covers, multi-scanning and
image stitching might be more practical.

--
Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name@ispname.tld
http://www.access-one.com/rjn email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
Related resources
March 13, 2005 9:24:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Headlylm" wrote:

> Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
>
> I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
> My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.

If you're doing cover scans for something lo-rez like an eBay auction, just
scan the cover at about double the resolution you need in two passes, making
a left and right side file, then use Photoshop (or a similar image editing
program) and cut and paste one of the halves on the other using layers, line
them up fairly decently and maybe do a little clean up and color correction
using "curves" and/or "brightness/contrast" and merge the two layers. Then
resize the image down to say, 12" square by 72 dpi (which will get rid of
most nasty dot (miore) patterns from the cover's printing that the scanner
may have picked up and there you go - a complete cover.

T.B.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:20:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

check ebay to see if it is in there photo archives and "borrow" it, google
search for that particular laserdisc in images and rightclick, save that or
scan in 2 halves and photoshop together, takes time but can be done.

"Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o psnjvneqrft8z8r@news.individual.net...
>> Headlylm <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any advise on how to scan
>> albums or laserdisc covers?
>
> For what end use of the images? eBay auctions?
> Full-size repro? Poster enlargements? Museum archive?
>
>> I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough
>> to scan the covers? My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
>
> 200 dpi likely suffices for almost any application,
> and that works out to just over 6Mp for the cover,
> or an 8Mp digital camera (because the aspect ratios
> don't match).
>
> An 8Mp camera and copy stand can be had for less than
> a scanner with a 13-in platen. In either case, be sure
> to invest in some color chips to include in the image
> for color correction, and do not use the flash on the
> camera.
>
> For a small number of covers, multi-scanning and
> image stitching might be more practical.
>
> --
> Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name@ispname.tld
> http://www.access-one.com/rjn email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
> NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
March 14, 2005 1:06:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Bob Niland wrote:
> [...]
> An 8Mp camera and copy stand can be had for less than
> a scanner with a 13-in platen. In either case, be sure
> to invest in some color chips to include in the image
> for color correction, and do not use the flash on the
> camera.

For a picture of one copy stand (the one I forgot I had when
I posted a similar question a year or so ago :-):

<http://thadlabs.com/PIX/doc_stand.jpg&gt;
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:25:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Scan it in 2 or more pieces and stitch them together, done right you will
never be able to tell. Most scanners come with a stitch application
"Headlylm" <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c9d35e394bb7c1c98968a@news.giganews.com...
> Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
>
> I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
> My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
>
> Thanks
>
> J
March 18, 2005 6:26:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Headlylm" <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c9d35e394bb7c1c98968a@news.giganews.com...
> Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
>
> I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
> My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
>
> Thanks
>
> J

Since I am a newbie at scanning and digital cameras etc (my parents only got
a MFC the other day), I'm wondering if there would be a way to combine the
best of both of these worlds to solve your little problem. Here's what I'm
talking about ...

These days, some digital cameras (or at least their software) are able to
splice (or join) two or more photographs together pretty much seamlessly. I
am thinking that if you could scan the two halves (or two thirds and the
last third) of a Laserdisc cover, then you could utilise the digital camera
/ image manipulation software to join the two images together. I'm sure
this method could be the ticket, but I can't guarantee it will work because
I haven't really gotten into digital imaging yet.

Hope this helps.
April 17, 2005 3:20:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Simply scan the laser box cover in two or three pieces and but them up in
your software package.

Scifi2k.com

"Headlylm" <headlylm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c9d35e394bb7c1c98968a@news.giganews.com...
> Does anyone have any advise on how to scan albums or laserdisc covers?
>
> I am having a hard time finding a scanner big enough to scan the covers?
> My laserdiscs are 12.5" wide.
>
> Thanks
>
> J
!