Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 660 lag

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 15, 2012 7:53:30 AM

hi, i have an i5 + Gigabyte gtx 660 system. im using the latest 310.70 RC nvidia drivers.
my overall gaming performance are great and i get steady fps on most games but every couple of minutes im getting a lag for a second my fps drops to 1 and then back to normal. it's happening even on lowest settings and my system health and temp status are okay. i tried installing the WHQL drivers but that didn't help.
please help me.


thank you.

More about : gtx 660 lag

December 15, 2012 8:44:41 AM

Are you overclocking? If you're voltage is too low then you will get FPS dips, if not complete crashes.
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 1:10:26 PM

+1
Related resources
December 15, 2012 3:16:05 PM

bl00dyMurd3r said:
Are you overclocking? If you're voltage is too low then you will get FPS dips, if not complete crashes.



no, this card is factory overclocked and the problem just started recentley.
December 15, 2012 4:31:36 PM

Try cleaning out the fans. Even if the tempatures are ok.
December 15, 2012 4:33:36 PM

Smashing todd said:
Try cleaning out the fans. Even if the tempatures are ok.



the fans can't be cleaner. it's a 2 weeks old system.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 4:54:24 PM

Sounds like a driver issue did you recently update drivers?
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 5:20:14 PM



Run a scan with Malwarebytes AntiMalware. http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756 Remove whatever it finds.Then turn off windows upate
Uninstall the drivers.
Download driver fusion http://treexy.com/
Reboot system in safe mode and run driver fusion.
Reboot again.
Re-downloaded drivers http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Turn on windows updates.

This would be a good time to consider installing Simple Perfomance Boost http://majorgeeks.com/Tweaking.com_-_Simple_Performance... to optimize your Windows settings. It’s easy, safe and fast. Here is a video on doing this optional step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyJoGOYXfHs
December 15, 2012 5:32:12 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Sounds like a driver issue did you recently update drivers?


actually im using the new 310.70 beta. i don't think that the problem is with the driver because it worked before and there are no reportings of this issue online with this driver.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 5:55:51 PM

dmd4ever said:
actually im using the new 310.70 beta. i don't think that the problem is with the driver because it worked before and there are no reportings of this issue online with this driver.
I would try doing what i mentioned worse thing that can happen it does not help.It's worth a try ;) 
December 15, 2012 6:04:35 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I would try doing what i mentioned worse thing that can happen it does not help.It's worth a try ;) 



thank you, i will try these and see what happens. i recently installed eBoostr and it's allocating 2.3 GB of my 8GB RAM for caching. i still have about 2.7 GB Free when browsing and using apps. do you think it could be a memory issue? even on games i have at worst case 2 GB Free.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 6:21:32 PM

Your welcome!No i don't think it's a memory issue no game uses even close to 8gb.
December 15, 2012 8:26:40 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Your welcome!No i don't think it's a memory issue no game uses even close to 8gb.


hi, i tried all of the above and installed the 307.96 official drivers but still the same problem.

could it be a hardware problem?
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 9:18:58 PM

It could be yes.Could you open task manager, press Show processes from all users, maximize the window, sort it by user name, take screenshot and upload it? Maybe... you've got some extra processes running in the background which are crippling your performance.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 9:26:52 PM

What is your CPU usage during lag?
December 15, 2012 9:33:47 PM

Maybe something is wrong with your power supply and the card is choking from lack of power? That's the only other thing I can think of, although it's weird that it only has lag dips in certain intervals.

Do you experience the lag dips whenever there is something demanding in the game (Explosion, smoke, etc..)?
December 15, 2012 9:47:19 PM

bigcyco1 said:
What is your CPU usage during lag?


my CPU Usage during the lag is 43%-50%.




these are the process running while in game.

the problem also happens in low graphics games when my CPU usage is less than 20%.

i tried turning V-sync on and off but it didn't help.

December 15, 2012 9:52:25 PM

bl00dyMurd3r said:
Maybe something is wrong with your power supply and the card is choking from lack of power? That's the only other thing I can think of, although it's weird that it only has lag dips in certain intervals.

Do you experience the lag dips whenever there is something demanding in the game (Explosion, smoke, etc..)?


that's the weird thing it happens randomly even when my GPU is not on full clock and load.

by the way i have a 430w seasonic PSU. ive been told that's enough to manage this card.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 10:37:15 PM

Well i don't think so because seasonic is very reliable.calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 132 W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 230 W
Difference (GPU load) = 98 W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10 W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 108 Watts

Mind you that the system wattage is measured at the wall socket side and there are other variables like PSU power efficiency. So this is a calculated value, albeit a very good one.Here is Guru3Ds power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 660 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 450~500 Watt power supply unit.


If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_66...
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 10:42:34 PM

dmd4ever said:
i really appreciate your help. could it be the PSU? i have a seasonic 430w and before i purchased the system i inquired
about the PSU and all said that this PSU is more than enough.

anyway, thanks again for the help.


I for one believe your PSU might be the problem. Seasonic makes great PSUs, I was stupid enough to buy a Raidmax RX-700AC 80+ bronze certified, still it delivers more watt than I need and I got just about the same build as you, except the PSU ofc.

Nvidia also does recommend 450 watt as a minimum, and not just a PSU which features 450 watt, a PSU that delivers 450 watt. A lot of Companies fool their customers by high watt numbers, but most of the time those numbers are lying. My raidmax PSU only delivers 540 watt even though it's a 700 watt PSU.

If you know someone with a better PSU, then ask if you could try to borrow it and put it into your build, so you're sure it's the PSU.

Hope you figure it out! :) 

December 15, 2012 11:11:11 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Well i don't think so because seasonic is very reliable.calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 132 W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 230 W
Difference (GPU load) = 98 W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10 W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 108 Watts

Mind you that the system wattage is measured at the wall socket side and there are other variables like PSU power efficiency. So this is a calculated value, albeit a very good one.Here is Guru3Ds power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 660 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 450~500 Watt power supply unit.


If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_66...


is there a way to measure my components watts intake?
December 15, 2012 11:15:57 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
I for one believe your PSU might be the problem. Seasonic makes great PSUs, I was stupid enough to buy a Raidmax RX-700AC 80+ bronze certified, still it delivers more watt than I need and I got just about the same build as you, except the PSU ofc.

Nvidia also does recommend 450 watt as a minimum, and not just a PSU which features 450 watt, a PSU that delivers 450 watt. A lot of Companies fool their customers by high watt numbers, but most of the time those numbers are lying. My raidmax PSU only delivers 540 watt even though it's a 700 watt PSU.

If you know someone with a better PSU, then ask if you could try to borrow it and put it into your build, so you're sure it's the PSU.

Hope you figure it out! :) 


hi, according to this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

even with an i7 + my GPU on load the intake doesn't go above 320W, so how the PSU is not enough?
December 15, 2012 11:36:01 PM



i see it gets great results. with the fact that even a high end CPU +GPU System doesn't go over 350W, would you say it's probably not a PSU problem? i think it's a pretty long shot and i really don't have any way of checking/replacing the PSU
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 12:15:26 AM

I do not think it's your power supply maybe if you had three or four drives a ssd a few led fans and overclocked cpu then i would think it's very possible.
December 16, 2012 12:25:40 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I do not think it's your power supply maybe if you had three or four drives a ssd a few led fans and overclocked cpu then i would think it's very possible.



thanks again, i will try to think about possible causes.
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 12:32:16 AM

Good luck and your welcome.
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 11:22:38 AM

dmd4ever said:
hi, according to this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

even with an i7 + my GPU on load the intake doesn't go above 320W, so how the PSU is not enough?


It's always good having some headroom for your hardware, so you won't stress the PSU too much. And when Nvidia recommends at least 450 watt, then I'd suggest you go with that. But you could also just live with your problem without checking your PSU..
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 12:07:18 PM

Well, every single possible solution to fix your problem were stated above, but since it still the same problem, do like i do in such situations and think of something irrelevant :) , could you please try a different PCIE slot ? i know it has nothing to do with it but give it a try, and also clean the PCI slots from dust if there any.....

Also borrow any GPU ( Preferred the same model or equivalent ) from your friends and try,,,if every thing goes well, then it is a hardware issue...if not...then it is something either about your motherboard or its drivers........
December 16, 2012 12:33:09 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
It's always good having some headroom for your hardware, so you won't stress the PSU too much. And when Nvidia recommends at least 450 watt, then I'd suggest you go with that. But you could also just live with your problem without checking your PSU..


well, ive checked and at max load my system only consumes about 260W. 170W is not enough headroom?

also, as i stated before, this happens even on very low settings when my GPU + CPU load are at minimum so how can it be the PSU?
December 16, 2012 12:45:10 PM

merandos said:
Well, every single possible solution to fix your problem were stated above, but since it still the same problem, do like i do in such situations and think of something irrelevant :) , could you please try a different PCIE slot ? i know it has nothing to do with it but give it a try, and also clean the PCI slots from dust if there any.....

Also borrow any GPU ( Preferred the same model or equivalent ) from your friends and try,,,if every thing goes well, then it is a hardware issue...if not...then it is something either about your motherboard or its drivers........



thanks for the reply. my system is about 2 weeks old, i checked and i don't see any dust or something even worth cleaning.

i also have onboard graphics, maybe i will connect my screen there and check.
December 16, 2012 1:18:20 PM

update: just ran battlefield 3 on max settings with no lag at all with the GTX 660.

very weird, on the walking dead (low settings) and Far Cry 3 (low settings) i get lags every minute or so. ive also noticed it on black ops 2.

a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 6:33:26 PM

dmd4ever said:
update: just ran battlefield 3 on max settings with no lag at all with the GTX 660.

very weird, on the walking dead (low settings) and Far Cry 3 (low settings) i get lags every minute or so. ive also noticed it on black ops 2.

Yea, it is weird since BF3 is very demanding game and you should have lagged...but that cool it means there is no hardware issues...try to reinstall the games..maybe something went wrong while installing....and if you are running a normal HDD, don't install games on your Local C where the windows files are.....
December 16, 2012 7:27:41 PM

merandos said:
Yea, it is weird since BF3 is very demanding game and you should have lagged...but that cool it means there is no hardware issues...try to reinstall the games..maybe something went wrong while installing....and if you are running a normal HDD, don't install games on your Local C where the windows files are.....


as i mentioned, even on low graphics when my GPU is only using 30% TDP i still get lags so i hardly believe it's a power issue.
tried re installing The walking dead and Far Cry 3 - nothing new.

it's a real puzzle for me ):. anyway, thank you.
February 19, 2013 3:58:34 AM

dmd4ever said:
as i mentioned, even on low graphics when my GPU is only using 30% TDP i still get lags so i hardly believe it's a power issue.
tried re installing The walking dead and Far Cry 3 - nothing new.

it's a real puzzle for me ):. anyway, thank you.



Dude I have the same problem as u ...I'm using evga gtx 660 sc card with cooler master 450w bronze psu....my motherboard is Intel th 67bl with 4gb ram....I'm very disappointed with this problem anyone pls help me to solve this problem .....
February 19, 2013 7:46:02 AM

I think its nothin to do with the PSU... i guess some background process is running which is causing delay in reading game data from the hard disk hence the lag for 1 sec or so.... My suggestion would be to switch your antivirus to gaming mode or else pause protection while gaming...
Also monitor the resource monitor to see which process is performing the most hard disk read/write operations....
February 19, 2013 8:33:04 AM

I tryied everything bro.....and also installed game booster ....same problem.....my psu is cooler master 450w bronze edition ...so I think it is fail to handle my evga gtx 660..
April 25, 2013 6:28:33 PM

I have a cx 430 psu with my 660, I have the same problem.
a c 144 U Graphics card
April 25, 2013 6:40:52 PM

ibobotastic said:
I have a cx 430 psu with my 660, I have the same problem.


it is better if you make your own thread. seeking answer/solution from other people thread might not helping you much because most people who reply to this thread are focusing their answers or opinion for thread starter problem.
October 17, 2013 3:01:30 AM

well iam having the same problem aswell its annoying i have AMD am3+ 4100 GTX 660
650 watt psu still the same problem
a c 144 U Graphics card
October 17, 2013 3:49:37 AM

Uh someone is digging :D .
a c 144 U Graphics card
October 17, 2013 3:49:37 AM

Uh someone is digging :D .
!