Multiplayer games

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

i am trying to connect to my sister computer so we both can play a cd rom
game together. we both have the game installed on our comupters we both have
the cds.we can play the game fine by ourselfs, but when we go to make a
internet game.host or join it will ask for the ip address of the computer you
want to play with but when we put it in it just sits doesn't do anything.we
both have windows xp we both dsl.but my computer is networked with a linksys
router.we have also disabled windows firewall. is there something else we can
do.the name of the cd game is sorry.thanks

Here's a Knowledge Base article which tells about ports needed, and give a
little explanation of what needs to be done:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q240429 . Paul is
right in that you'll need to open the ports on the router once you determine
which ones you need. Remember, your router is the Gateway for your Local
Area Network, and if you need to forward ports to one or more of the
computers on your side of the router, you need to do so by that (or those)
computer IP address.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Chris H." wrote:

> Here's a Knowledge Base article which tells about ports needed, and give a
> little explanation of what needs to be done:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q240429 . Paul is
> right in that you'll need to open the ports on the router once you determine
> which ones you need. Remember, your router is the Gateway for your Local
> Area Network, and if you need to forward ports to one or more of the
> computers on your side of the router, you need to do so by that (or those)
> computer IP address.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i am trying to connect to my sister computer so we both can play a cd rom
> > game together. we both have the game installed on our comupters we both
> > have
> > the cds.we can play the game fine by ourselfs, but when we go to make a
> > internet game.host or join it will ask for the ip address of the computer
> > you
> > want to play with but when we put it in it just sits doesn't do
> > anything.we
> > both have windows xp we both dsl.but my computer is networked with a
> > linksys
> > router.we have also disabled windows firewall. is there something else we
> > can
> > do.the name of the cd game is sorry.thanks
>
> thanks for getting back so fast. but it is still not working. i did what you said about the router and the ports. i guess i did it correct. my router is linksys befsr41. can someone please help us get this game going

Without knowing which game you're talking about it is a bit difficult. Have
you checked the web site support section for the game for assistance? Each
game can have a different port requirement.
--

> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> Here's a Knowledge Base article which tells about ports needed, and give
>> little explanation of what needs to be done:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q240429 . Paul
>> is
>> right in that you'll need to open the ports on the router once you
>> determine
>> which ones you need. Remember, your router is the Gateway for your Local
>> Area Network, and if you need to forward ports to one or more of the
>> computers on your side of the router, you need to do so by that (or
>> those)
>> computer IP address.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i am trying to connect to my sister computer so we both can play a cd
>> >rom
>> > game together. we both have the game installed on our comupters we both
>> > have
>> > the cds.we can play the game fine by ourselfs, but when we go to make a
>> > internet game.host or join it will ask for the ip address of the
>> > computer
>> > you
>> > want to play with but when we put it in it just sits doesn't do
>> > anything.we
>> > both have windows xp we both dsl.but my computer is networked with a
>> > linksys
>> > router.we have also disabled windows firewall. is there something else
>> > we
>> > can
>> > do.the name of the cd game is sorry.thanks
>>
>> thanks for getting back so fast. but it is still not working. i did what
>> you said about the router and the ports. i guess i did it correct. my
>> router is linksys befsr41. can someone please help us get this game going

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

i did put the name of the game in the first post. it is Sorry. i have looked
everywhere for help with this game. can't find any. thanks again

"Chris H." wrote:

> Without knowing which game you're talking about it is a bit difficult. Have
> you checked the web site support section for the game for assistance? Each
> game can have a different port requirement.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> Here's a Knowledge Base article which tells about ports needed, and give
> >> little explanation of what needs to be done:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q240429 . Paul
> >> is
> >> right in that you'll need to open the ports on the router once you
> >> determine
> >> which ones you need. Remember, your router is the Gateway for your Local
> >> Area Network, and if you need to forward ports to one or more of the
> >> computers on your side of the router, you need to do so by that (or
> >> those)
> >> computer IP address.
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>

> >> "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> thanks for getting back so fast. but it is still not working. i did what
> >> you said about the router and the ports. i guess i did it correct. my
> >> router is linksys befsr41. can someone please help us get this game going

This is the old Windows 95/98 game, correct? I can't find a thing on it,
except that it won't run on Windows XP unless you use compatibility mode.
Do you have any documentation, or perhaps a readme file on the CD (it is a
CD?) which might give networking information?
--

>i did put the name of the game in the first post. it is Sorry. i have
>looked
> everywhere for help with this game. can't find any. thanks again
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> Without knowing which game you're talking about it is a bit difficult.
>> Have
>> you checked the web site support section for the game for assistance?
>> Each
>> game can have a different port requirement.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

yes it is a 98 cd. i it runs fine on xp.i play it everyday. i even tried the
compatibility mode to see if it would then work on network. i just can't get
the internet to work.yes it has a read me file but not much info. i think it
is something i am doing wrong on the router.but i can't figure out what it
is. but i do know it takes directx

"Chris H." wrote:

> This is the old Windows 95/98 game, correct? I can't find a thing on it,
> except that it won't run on Windows XP unless you use compatibility mode.
> Do you have any documentation, or perhaps a readme file on the CD (it is a
> CD?) which might give networking information?
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i did put the name of the game in the first post. it is Sorry. i have
> >looked
> > everywhere for help with this game. can't find any. thanks again
> >
> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> Without knowing which game you're talking about it is a bit difficult.
> >> Have
> >> you checked the web site support section for the game for assistance?
> >> Each
> >> game can have a different port requirement.
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>

> >> "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Is the game manufacturer's web site listed in the documentation? If so, you
could check their support section, or if they have a forum, perhaps you
could ask for assistance there. Since I don't know the game at all, I
cannot tell you which ports it requires to be open or if they should be
persistent or application triggered.
--

> yes it is a 98 cd. i it runs fine on xp.i play it everyday. i even tried
> the
> compatibility mode to see if it would then work on network. i just can't
> get
> the internet to work.yes it has a read me file but not much info. i think
> it
> is something i am doing wrong on the router.but i can't figure out what it
> is. but i do know it takes directx
>

> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> This is the old Windows 95/98 game, correct? I can't find a thing on it,
>> except that it won't run on Windows XP unless you use compatibility mode.
>> Do you have any documentation, or perhaps a readme file on the CD (it is
>> CD?) which might give networking information?
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i did put the name of the game in the first post. it is Sorry. i have
>> >looked
>> > everywhere for help with this game. can't find any. thanks again

"Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am trying to connect to my sister computer so we both can play a cd rom
> game together. we both have the game installed on our comupters we both
> have
> the cds.we can play the game fine by ourselfs, but when we go to make a
> internet game.host or join it will ask for the ip address of the computer
> you
> want to play with but when we put it in it just sits doesn't do
> anything.we
> both have windows xp we both dsl.but my computer is networked with a
> linksys
> router.we have also disabled windows firewall. is there something else we
> can
> do.the name of the cd game is sorry.thanks

Hello!

It's most likely due to the router in the way. Basically you'll need to
forward the ports the game needs to your machine on the network, typically
it's just the host that needs to do this. I've just done a little hunt for
the ports it needs on the net and came up blank, but it should say in the
ReadMe file.

If you can't find what ports it needs, you should be able to forward all
ports to your computer, that come via a specific IP address, your friends.

I don't have a Linksys router, but on my Netgear, it's a case of going to
firewall rules and adding a new one, allow all connections from
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to my machine 192.168.xxx.xxx. It should give details on
how to do this in the manual. Or if you can find the specific ports,
forwarding just those.

But bare in mind if you do forward all ports from your friends IP address to
turn it off when they've finished. As some IP addresses can swap over, so
you may find them having a different IP in the next session, and somebody
else have their old one.

Hope that helps, anymore questions just post back!

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

Also, the information on this webpage might help:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ports

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms