Pentax ist DS and RAW - how to view?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 3, 2005 5:06:50 PM

I haven't been able to view any of the Raw images
I've taken with my Pentax ist DS. Can't do it with
Elements 3. Microsoft Raw Thumbnail viewer doesn't
seem to help. Can't do it with ZoomBrowzer EX.
What will work?

Thanks.

Luk

More about : pentax ist raw view

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:26:45 PM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:06:50 -0400, luk
<luknofurther@comcast.net> wrote:

>I haven't been able to view any of the Raw images
>I've taken with my Pentax ist DS. Can't do it with
>Elements 3. Microsoft Raw Thumbnail viewer doesn't
>seem to help. Can't do it with ZoomBrowzer EX.
>What will work?

Elements 3 will work fine as long as you use at least
version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin, as will the software
supplied by Pentax with the camera, Raw Shooter Essentials
(free), Irfanview (free)... Need I go on?

--
Regards

John Bean
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:26:46 PM

e:

John Bean wrote:
> Elements 3 will work fine as long as you use at least
> version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin, as will the software
> supplied by Pentax with the camera, Raw Shooter Essentials
> (free), Irfanview (free)... Need I go on?

Thanks. I had been using a card reader, but now I
have switched and have taken three raw files
directly from the Pentax ist DS to the computer (XP).
I am able to view them. However, I'd like to be able
to use Elements 3 to work with them. Elements 3
tells me they are "not the right kind of document".
Therefore I can't pull them up in Elements 3.

You mentioned version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin.
I can only assume I don't have it. How do I get it?
Will that solve my problem?

Luk
September 4, 2005 12:52:43 AM

luk wrote:

> I haven't been able to view any of the Raw images
> I've taken with my Pentax ist DS. Can't do it with
> Elements 3. Microsoft Raw Thumbnail viewer doesn't
> seem to help. Can't do it with ZoomBrowzer EX.
> What will work?

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

Al
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:10:46 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:57:03 -0400, luk
<luknofurther@comcast.net> wrote:
>You mentioned version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin.
>I can only assume I don't have it. How do I get it?

Download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (now 3.1)
from the downloads area of adobe.com and follow the
installation instructions. Any version from 2.4 onwards will
work with your DS but you may as well use the latest.

>Will that solve my problem?

Yes.

--
Regards

John Bean
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:10:47 AM

John Bean wrote:
> Download the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (now 3.1)
> from the downloads area of adobe.com and follow the
> installation instructions. Any version from 2.4 onwards will
> work with your DS but you may as well use the latest.

How about that. It was necessary to use
the search feature at adobe.com to locate
Camera Raw 3.1.

Then switching out the plug-in was an
interesting experience. But hey. It
works. Much obliged.

Luk
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:22:32 PM

luk wrote:
> e:
>
> Luk wrote:
>
>>> I haven't been able to view any of the Raw images
>>> I've taken with my Pentax ist DS. Can't do it with
>>> Elements 3. Microsoft Raw Thumbnail viewer doesn't
>>> seem to help. Can't do it with ZoomBrowzer EX.
>>> What will work?
>

> John Bean wrote:
>
>> Elements 3 will work fine as long as you use at least
>> version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin, as will the software
>> supplied by Pentax with the camera, Raw Shooter Essentials
>> (free), Irfanview (free)... Need I go on?
>

> Thanks. I had been using a card reader, but now I
> have switched and have taken three raw files
> directly from the Pentax ist DS to the computer (XP).
> I am able to view them. However, I'd like to be able
> to use Elements 3 to work with them.

Can you "work" with a RAW file? Should you not convert it to a TIFF first?

--
Walter Mitty
-

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:22:32 +0200, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@gmail.com> wrote:

>luk wrote:
>> e:

>> John Bean wrote:
>>
>>> Elements 3 will work fine as long as you use at least
>>> version 2.4 of the Camera Raw plugin, as will the software
>>> supplied by Pentax with the camera, Raw Shooter Essentials
>>> (free), Irfanview (free)... Need I go on?
>>

>> Thanks. I had been using a card reader, but now I
>> have switched and have taken three raw files
>> directly from the Pentax ist DS to the computer (XP).
>> I am able to view them. However, I'd like to be able
>> to use Elements 3 to work with them.
>
>Can you "work" with a RAW file? Should you not convert it to a TIFF first?

Yes. Not unless you want to.

I capture almost exclusively raw files, I can't remember the
last time I saved anything to TIFF format.

--
Regards

John Bean
September 5, 2005 10:39:44 PM

"luk" <luknofurther@comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
P8SdnX4y7ci7RYTeRVn-sw@comcast.com...
>I haven't been able to view any of the Raw images
> I've taken with my Pentax ist DS. Can't do it with
> Elements 3. Microsoft Raw Thumbnail viewer doesn't
> seem to help. Can't do it with ZoomBrowzer EX.
> What will work?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Luk

You need to download Adobe Camera Raw 3.1 (it's free).
Jean
!