Sign in with
Your question

Help with gaming pc!!!!!

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 2:35:05 PM

i want a pc to play video games on max but i want it to be upgrade friendly. I would prefer to go bigger on the CPU and motherboard cause i don't want to upgrade those for some time. however the video card i will be upgrading when i raise a bit more money possibly 2 months. so i just want a computer in which the components will hold up for a few years (GPU, PSU, CPU). is this build ok? remember i don't plan on getting the most out of my pc in relation to graphics card, yet. My budget is $600-650 and not a dollar more >: ( lol. I don't plan on overclocking for some time, so i didn't include the CPU cooler for the CPU. is 620w enough for this pc? also when i say i want to play it on max i mean after i upgrade my graphics card not with this current build.

PS. i dont need a storage device, monitor, or operating system

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)

Memory: G.SKILL NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($43.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: I already have this

Video Card: XFX Double D FX-785A-ZDF4 Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (169.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $644 - this price is after rebates

I know you guys are like super pros here lol so i am open to suggestions from anyone on here. I'd like a bit of an explanation as to why a specific part was changed.....

THANKS!!

More about : gaming

January 30, 2013 5:18:03 PM

lol 7850 is solid almost high end gpu itself, changing it in two montsh would be a waste. What you could do is build pc and run it on cpu's integrated graphics and in two months you just buy hd7970 or gtx 670
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:23:32 PM

butremor said:
lol 7850 is solid almost high end gpu itself, changing it in two montsh would be a waste. What you could do is build pc and run it on cpu's integrated graphics and in two months you just buy hd7970 or gtx 670

I agree here, go for the 2GB 7850, which I have then it will last for 2-3 years, or use the integrated graphics for awhile then get a 7970

CPU: i5 3570k (which you can get)

Mobo: that Asrock is fine, although I went with Gigabyte

RAM: 8GB minimum doesn't matter what speed as long as 1333mhz OR higher if you want

PSU: Something that will power everything you want, if one 7850 then you can use a 550w decent PSU then crossfire later anyway!
For your PSU, I would use a XFX or Seasonic, and look at the reviews as I hate to think of a PSU blowing and taking everything with it!
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2013 5:27:02 PM

I agree with butremor. I myself have a 7850, and it is a great card. I already max every game out in 720p and most in 1080p. If you really want a higher end card, just game on the hd 4000 graphics on the 3570. They do a decent enough job. If you want them to be better, you can overclock the CPU to essentially overclock you iGPU.

Oh, and the 620 watt is plenty to overclock both your CPU and a high-end GPU.

Hope this helps.
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:34:01 PM

7850 is the go to card, plus overclocks well, think almost everyone on here loves the card, except maybe Nvidia lovers. I say save the money, go for the 7850, saving say £100, $150, the go for something else that you would like, i.e mouse, keyboard, SSD, monitor?
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:35:07 PM

I also agree with everyone. That's a decent setup and you'll likely be happy with a 7850, although admittedly it won't play all games at max settings. If that's your concern, go with something like this for now, for much cheaper, then upgrade later:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I can't really get behind the advice of using the integrated graphics. That will not just severely limit your gameplay, but also limit what games you can even launch.

I can also vouch for that Antec PSU. I had one for a while and it's quite good. I've read that its innards are actually Seasonic.
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:41:00 PM

Even iGPU can play games such as skyrim on medium settings fluently. I think that if the OP waits a month or two to upgrade to a 7970, 670, they would be better off in the long run.

Here are some game benches for hd4000. It is on the 3770k, but it is the same as the 3570k.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge...
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:41:16 PM

ringzero said:
I also agree with everyone. That's a decent setup and you'll likely be happy with a 7850, although admittedly it won't play all games at max settings. If that's your concern, go with something like this for now, for much cheaper, then upgrade later:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I can't really get behind the advice of using the integrated graphics. That will not just severely limit your gameplay, but also limit what games you can even launch.

I can also vouch for that Antec PSU. I had one for a while and it's quite good. I've read that its innards are actually Seasonic.

If he wants a better GPU, then he should just use integrated graphics for now, then get his GPU later, however if he doesn't mind getting a 7850 then buy it now.
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:43:29 PM

spat55 said:
If he wants a better GPU, then he should just use integrated graphics for now, then get his GPU later, however if he doesn't mind getting a 7850 then buy it now.

Yes, you're right, if he just doesn't want to play any games until he gets his GPU. But if he wants to actually play games right now, then integrated graphics won't cut it. I can't think of many current games that don't list discrete GPU as a minimum requirement.
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:51:08 PM

ringzero said:
Yes, you're right, if he just doesn't want to play any games until he gets his GPU. But if he wants to actually play games right now, then integrated graphics won't cut it. I can't think of many current games that don't list discrete GPU as a minimum requirement.

It has been done before, skyrim etc can run on low-medium, and BO2 medium too.
m
l
January 30, 2013 9:51:09 PM

omg all you guys are all so freaking cool!! thanks a lot!! but i was wondering if you guys can help me with one more thing....here it goes lol after arranging the order at microcenter for the motherboard and CPU my total came out to 305.88!! (taxes included) i was expecting 350.39, so that is great!!! :)  also i happen to have $50 MORE dollars coming in on friday...

my initial budget was exactly $636 (this was including the video card). so after calculating my build with the special from microcenter included it comes out to $469.88 WITHOUT the video card...so i have $166.12 dollars to invest in a video card at the moment... you guys mentioned a fantastic idea about running with the integrated graphics for a few weeks until i can upgrade! but i don't think i'll even need to wait.

The reason being I'll have a total of $236.12 to invest in a video card. $166.12+ $50 coming in friday+ $20 from PSU rebate= $236.12 for the video card!!! so my question is lol which video card should i get? i can also wait until the following friday for 50 MORE dollars lol for a grand total of $286.12 for my video card. i would only be willing to wait another week if there is substantial difference in card!!

Sorry for this extremely long post :(  i just feel that if you guys take your time to make a post then i should i also take my time responding as well!! :)  I really appreciate the help!

PS. If i wait a month starting on monday i would have a total of $436.12 lol
m
l
January 31, 2013 4:44:20 AM

7950 it is... should last you like you want it
m
l
!