Wanting to upgrade

Jarlhen

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi guys. At the moment I'm playing a lot of Planetside 2 and my rig isn't quite keeping up. I realise PS2 is horribly optimised but I feel it's still time to upgrade. I'm currently sitting on the following:

AMD Athlon x4 640 3.0 gz
Asus M4A78LT-M LE AMD 760G Socket AM3 DVI VGA Out 8 Channel Audio mATX
8 gb ddr3 1333 mhz ram
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Antec VP450P 450W PSU - 120mm Fan
Black Micro ATX Case

I'm leaving the ram and my crappy hdd for now, and I would also prefer to keep both the PSU and the case. So I've been looking at substitues for CPU, motherboard and GPU. Right now the following setup is looking tempting:

XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card
ASRock Z77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/At5S
So that's a total price of £362.

I'm on a budget, poor student and all that stuff. I don't overclock, or haven't in the past at least. I am hoping not having to upgrade for another 18 months or so. Not extremely worried about being able to play everything at 120FPS, as might be expected when keeping things cheap.

Here are the question! Nr 1, will my 450w power supply be able to keep all of this going? Nr 2, would I need a cooler? Nr 3, will it all fit in my lovely little case and be compatible i.e. will this build work? Nr 4, Is a 3570k worth it over say a 3470. When all the big titles start coming towards the end of the year (they always do) would a 3470 be enough to run things well or should I prepare to overclock (i.e. 3570k)?

ETA: Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Your PSU is sufficient for a HD7850. I'd get just that right now, and see how it does. If you are satisfied, you're done. If not, you can look into a new CPU / Mobo / RAM (and possibly a new Windows License, although M$ may allow you to activate with a phone call to them).