Sign in with
Your question

Building a desktop and would like a second opinion

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 4:16:23 PM

First things first, this will be my first time building a computer from scratch. My knowledge is slightly rusty but I have been doing what I can to get clued up before I order my parts. Here is what I have at the moment. This is my first draft:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ArUe
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ArUe/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ArUe/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£233.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Would it be worth purchasing one of these, or would the CPU's heatsink be sufficient?
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£171.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.21 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.81 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£91.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£289.98 @ Amazon UK)
Sound Card: Will be using the mobo's on-board sound card.
Case: Cannot find a good looking one at the moment that would work well with my motherboard. Any suggestions?
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£80.31 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£17.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Monitor: Not found one as of yet, but I will search for this at a later date.
Operating System: I have a Windows 7 disk hanging around, somewhere...
Keyboard: Will salvage from an old computer.
Mouse: Will salvage from an old computer.
Total: £977.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 17:22 GMT+0000)

Approximate Purchase Date: Possibly late February, depending on how long I spend planning this build.

Budget Range: Around £1200 after shipping, but can stretch.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Playing games to a great graphical standard,listening to music,, surfing the internet, office applications, watching movies)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. I am currently looking for monitors. I aren't too knowledgable about monitors but I would like a 1080p, 22" to 28" monitor. If anybody has any good suggestions, that would be great.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would just like to know what parts I am buying before I decide on the websites I will purchase from.

Overclocking: Maybe in a few years when I feel the need.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in a few years when I feel the need.

Your Monitor Resolution: I would like a large, wide screen resolution, such as 1920x1080, 1920x1200. The monitor size would preferably be 22" to 28".

Additional Comments: Would like a windowed case for aestethic reasons. Would also like the computer to be quiet but if extra fan noise is necessary to keep my CPU and GPU healthy, that's fine.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm upgrading because my computer has a very old GeForce 435 graphics card which is not powerful enough to be running games to a good standard. I would also like the experience of building a computer myself.

Okay, so now you know where I am so far, here are my questions:

1) Can you see any immediate rookie errors regarding my build so far?

2) Would I need to purchase a seperate CPU Cooler? If so, a recommendation would be great.

3) I have a chosen an Asus motherboard as it has all the components I could ever need and it will surely last me a long time. I cannot seem to find a nice case that could cope with the amount of USB slots etc that this case has. Could you help with a few recommendations please? I personally don't want to pay more than £120 for a case, but all suggestions will be appreciated.

4) I have chosen a Corsair Enthusiast 750W power supply as I know Corsair are a reliable brand and I would also like the ability to SLI. Would 750W facilitate another graphics card with ease?

5) I haven't put much thought into a monitor as of yet, but I know that I would like a HD monitor which will be great for my games. I'm sure a 1080p 22" to 28" monitor would be sufficient, but I am not very knowledgable with monitors. Is there any monitors you would recommend for this situation?

Now I know that is a hell of a long thread, and I don't expect people to slave away to try help me, but if anybody could shed a little insight, that would be great. I just want to know that I am on the right tracks so far with my build.

Regards.
January 30, 2013 4:44:06 PM

-id overclock on the spot
-buy it now, not in a month. prices and recommendations will change
-used a board that doesnt have things that are a scam (thermal armor is a joke)
-yes. stock heatsink is crap. it will hold on stock speeds though
-given that you are not doing work, there is no point of a i7
-chose a 7970 over a 670. performs better and is cheaper
-better psu provided

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Au2V
January 30, 2013 4:52:03 PM

Drop the i7 for the i5 and drop the sabertooth, it is overpriced and you can get better features on cheaper Asus boards.
Related resources
January 30, 2013 4:56:22 PM

TheBigTroll is right;

The Sabertooth is WAY overpriced; His board will do everything you need (I also like the Gigabyte z77-d3h boards).
You only need an I7 if you are transcoding, number cruncing, or flight simulating; The 3570k is the money chip for gaming.
The stock heatsink only if you are not oc'ing (and in that case just get a 3470 and a h77 mobo)
And the psu is the heart of your machine get the best you can, like his XFX.

Case is very subjective, just don't go cheap on it. I like the Carbide series from Corsair, but they are recommended to death and there are plenty of other options.....
January 30, 2013 8:21:31 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will seriously consider the hardware changes.

TheBigTroll said:
-id overclock on the spot
-buy it now, not in a month. prices and recommendations will change
-used a board that doesnt have things that are a scam (thermal armor is a joke)
-yes. stock heatsink is crap. it will hold on stock speeds though
-given that you are not doing work, there is no point of a i7
-chose a 7970 over a 670. performs better and is cheaper
-better psu provided

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Au2V

BigTroll, thanks for the help mate, very quick response. I've got a few questions about this new build.

1) The Intel i5 Processor. Still very fast on benchmarks and a lot of people say it's powerful enough to run any game. Would the difference between the i7 and the i5 be a matter of frames per second? Also, what about once they are both overclocked?

2) The cheaper motherboard looks to facilitate everything I need. Did you choose this motherboard because it will perform as good as the sabertooth, or is there anything I need to be aware of before buying this motherboard?

3) The memory is still 8gb and the storage is still a 128 SSD and 1TB HHD. Is the only difference the price? Will the performance of these drives differ much from the ones I chose?

4) The Radeon 7970 vs GTX 670. What is your opinion on this? Wherever I look, it's just opinions, and I haven't seen any major performance differences.

5) Why did the power supply change? Is this more reliable?

Overall, I'm really impressed with what's been put in front of me, especially seeing as it's cheaper. Really grateful for the help.
January 30, 2013 8:30:05 PM

-hyperthreading from a i7 can sometimes hurt performance. dont bother if you are gaming
-there are almost no performance differences between motherboards. you look for the one that has the features that you need. the z77-v happens to be a pretty good value for the UK so i used it
-just shuffled them around for pricing. the ssd i used doesnt quite perform as well, but is a lot cheaper
-7970 performs better than a 680 (670s perform the same as 680s) and that is a fact. if a aftermarket version of a gtx 670 was cheaper than a 7970, i would pick that instead. really wont affect gaming performance much
-its still made by seasonic, but is more efficient and its modular so you dont have to hide the bucketload of cables that you dont use
January 30, 2013 8:33:09 PM

All good points man. I was hoping I would be able to get a modular psu so thanks for that.

Okay, thanks for all the help guys. I'll probably sit at work tommorow staring at this build toying with the idea of purchasing it all tommorow night.

Really appreciate the help guys. Thank you.
!