Looking for Equipment Recommendations - Hawaii

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 3, 2005 10:18:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I am planning a 2-week trip to Hawaii around January. I have a Canon
EOS Rebel G 35 mm camera; a 35-80 mm kit lens; an EF 28-135 mm IS USM
lens; a Velbon El Carmagne 540 tripod; a Minolta DiMage G500 5 MP
digital camera; and a Canon ZR60 miniDV video camera. I plan to visit 7
of the 8 main Hawaiian group islands (I have the option to add the
remaining island, but I don't know that I want to spend another $350
for it). I want to photograph as much of the islands as I can (mostly
landscape shots and close-up nature shots), from many different angles.
I plan to spend at most 3 days on any single island.

I expect that I will need a zoom lens and a wide-angle lens. How much
zoom would be useful? Would 300 mm have much use in Hawaii? How about
500 mm? I saw a 500 mm "mirrored lens" (?) zoom lens at Wolf Camera,
but I don't know how it is designed to be used; I would prefer image
stabilized lenses.

What is the best way to carry photographic equipment? Is a backpack or
a duffel bag more useful?

What film speeds are best? I am thinking of shooting with Velvia film
($130 for 700 exposures from Wolf Camera), though the salesman warned
me that it is a very slow film (but beautiful if used in bright light
with a tripod or IS lens).

My Canon Rebel G comes with mid-roll rewind. Does the use of that
feature sacrifice the unexposed remainder of the roll? If not, how
would I resume shooting where I had rewound?

I probably will pick up a disposable underwater camera, though I don't
forsee my spending very much time under water. If I try to shoehorn one
more major activity into this vacation, I might need a hospital stay
when I return. However, the local dive shop says I still have time to
become scuba certified. That, in addition to attending college, working
full time and planning and equipping myself for this trip.

Does anyone have any other equipment recommendations?

Thank you.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:40:54 PM

pooua@aol.com wrote:

> I am planning a 2-week trip to Hawaii around January. I have a Canon
> EOS Rebel G 35 mm camera; a 35-80 mm kit lens; an EF 28-135 mm IS USM
> lens; a Velbon El Carmagne 540 tripod; a Minolta DiMage G500 5 MP
> digital camera; and a Canon ZR60 miniDV video camera. I plan to visit 7
> of the 8 main Hawaiian group islands (I have the option to add the
> remaining island, but I don't know that I want to spend another $350
> for it). I want to photograph as much of the islands as I can (mostly
> landscape shots and close-up nature shots), from many different angles.
> I plan to spend at most 3 days on any single island.
>
> I expect that I will need a zoom lens and a wide-angle lens. How much
> zoom would be useful? Would 300 mm have much use in Hawaii? How about
> 500 mm? I saw a 500 mm "mirrored lens" (?) zoom lens at Wolf Camera,
> but I don't know how it is designed to be used; I would prefer image
> stabilized lenses.
>
> What is the best way to carry photographic equipment? Is a backpack or
> a duffel bag more useful?
>
> What film speeds are best? I am thinking of shooting with Velvia film
> ($130 for 700 exposures from Wolf Camera), though the salesman warned
> me that it is a very slow film (but beautiful if used in bright light
> with a tripod or IS lens).
>
> My Canon Rebel G comes with mid-roll rewind. Does the use of that
> feature sacrifice the unexposed remainder of the roll? If not, how
> would I resume shooting where I had rewound?
>
> I probably will pick up a disposable underwater camera, though I don't
> forsee my spending very much time under water. If I try to shoehorn one
> more major activity into this vacation, I might need a hospital stay
> when I return. However, the local dive shop says I still have time to
> become scuba certified. That, in addition to attending college, working
> full time and planning and equipping myself for this trip.
>
> Does anyone have any other equipment recommendations?
>
> Thank you.

You might want to consider learning to dive with a resort course. That
is where you take the classroom, and pool phases at home, and then
complete your training by taking the open water part of the course at a
Hawaiian resort or dive shop.

ALV
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:46:00 PM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:18:54 -0700, pooua wrote:

> I am planning a 2-week trip to Hawaii around January. I have a Canon EOS
> Rebel G 35 mm camera; a 35-80 mm kit lens; an EF 28-135 mm IS USM lens; a
> Velbon El Carmagne 540 tripod; a Minolta DiMage G500 5 MP digital camera;
> and a Canon ZR60 miniDV video camera. I plan to visit 7 of the 8 main
> Hawaiian group islands (I have the option to add the remaining island, but
> I don't know that I want to spend another $350 for it). I want to
> photograph as much of the islands as I can (mostly landscape shots and
> close-up nature shots), from many different angles. I plan to spend at
> most 3 days on any single island.

I think you're being overly ambitious. 7 islands in 14 days? Not enough
time or way too many islands. One or the other. I spent 7 nights and 8
days on just one -- The Big Island -- shot for 5 days and scratched only
the surface of what was available. Didn't go to the observatory on Mauna
Kea or descend into Waipio Valley or tour the Parker Ranch or go to South
Point, etc., etc. Not enough time. But even with all the places I didn't
go, I still shot around 700 very discriminating exposures.

> I expect that I will need a zoom lens and a wide-angle lens. How much zoom
> would be useful? Would 300 mm have much use in Hawaii? How about 500 mm? I
> saw a 500 mm "mirrored lens" (?) zoom lens at Wolf Camera, but I don't
> know how it is designed to be used; I would prefer image stabilized
> lenses.

You already have a good zoom, the 28-135, which should do for most
"landscape" and travel-type shots. A 20mm or wider lens (prime or zoom)
will come in handy. I took a 20 on my trip and used it quite frequently.

As far as a long lens, unless you intend to shoot surfers on those big
North Shore waves -- not much other wildlife in Hawaii that you can't get
close to -- or are into compressed perspective scenic/travel shots, the
135 focal length should do. I took a 180 with a 2X extender and only used
that combo a few times. Mostly when I needed a long lens, the 180 by
itself was sufficient. Of course, I didn't do any surfing shots. Not
much good surf on the Big Island.

> What is the best way to carry photographic equipment? Is a backpack or a
> duffel bag more useful?

I put all my stuff, except a lightweight Bogen/Manfrotto tripod, in one F2
Original Domke bag. Here's my Big Island trip equipment list: 2 Nikon
FM2 bodies w/o motordrives, 20, 24, 28-70, 35, 85, 180 + matched 2X
extender, Vivitar 285 flash with Quantum battery, filters, Minolta IIIF
and Soligor 1 degree spot meters, 12" Wescott folding diffuser,
monopod, notebook, pens, pencils, small tool kit, and room left over for
10 rolls of film.

> What film speeds are best? I am thinking of shooting with Velvia film
> ($130 for 700 exposures from Wolf Camera), though the salesman warned me
> that it is a very slow film (but beautiful if used in bright light with a
> tripod or IS lens).

I opted for 100 speed chrome for everything. I figured if I needed
faster, I would buy it once I got there. I didn't need it. Although, the
monopod did come in handy, especially in the rainforest and other heavily
forested areas.

> My Canon Rebel G comes with mid-roll rewind. Does the use of that feature
> sacrifice the unexposed remainder of the roll? If not, how would I resume
> shooting where I had rewound?

Don't know how the G does it. When I need to change film mid-roll, a very
rare occurance, I just rewind until I feel the leader come off the takeup
spool, open the camera, and with a Sharpie write on the leader the number
of exposures taken, put the roll back in the film can, which I mark as
partially exposed, and put in a special place in my bag away from
unexposed and fully exposed film. When I reload the roll, I leave on the
lens cap, set the lens to the smallest f-stop, shutter to the highest
speed, and advance the film to 2 to 3 frames PAST what was exposed. With
this method, I've never double exposed a previous exposure. Mostly, I
never reload in mid-roll. That's one reason I carry another body or two.

> I probably will pick up a disposable underwater camera, though I don't
> forsee my spending very much time under water. If I try to shoehorn one
> more major activity into this vacation, I might need a hospital stay when
> I return. However, the local dive shop says I still have time to become
> scuba certified. That, in addition to attending college, working full time
> and planning and equipping myself for this trip.

Leave the scuba for another day. Without special underwater flash, you
won't get any decent shots deeper than 10 feet or so, usually shallower.
Below 10 feet, the water starts filtering out all the other colors except
blue. So, by 30 feet or so, everything will be blue or very bluish.

So, if you want to do underwater stuff not invovling getting about $1000
to $2000 worth of specialized photo gear, all you'll need is mask, snorkel
and fins.

> Does anyone have any other equipment recommendations?

Think I've recommended more than enough.

Stefan
September 4, 2005 6:24:25 PM

Andrew Venor wrote:
> pooua@aol.com wrote:
>
>> I am planning a 2-week trip to Hawaii around January. I have a Canon
>> EOS Rebel G 35 mm camera; a 35-80 mm kit lens; an EF 28-135 mm IS USM
>> lens; a Velbon El Carmagne 540 tripod; a Minolta DiMage G500 5 MP
>> digital camera; and a Canon ZR60 miniDV video camera. I plan to visit 7
>> of the 8 main Hawaiian group islands (I have the option to add the
>> remaining island, but I don't know that I want to spend another $350
>> for it). I want to photograph as much of the islands as I can (mostly
>> landscape shots and close-up nature shots), from many different angles.
>> I plan to spend at most 3 days on any single island.
>>
>> I expect that I will need a zoom lens and a wide-angle lens. How much
>> zoom would be useful? Would 300 mm have much use in Hawaii? How about
>> 500 mm? I saw a 500 mm "mirrored lens" (?) zoom lens at Wolf Camera,
>> but I don't know how it is designed to be used; I would prefer image
>> stabilized lenses.
>>
>> What is the best way to carry photographic equipment? Is a backpack or
>> a duffel bag more useful?
>>
>> What film speeds are best? I am thinking of shooting with Velvia film
>> ($130 for 700 exposures from Wolf Camera), though the salesman warned
>> me that it is a very slow film (but beautiful if used in bright light
>> with a tripod or IS lens).
>>
>> My Canon Rebel G comes with mid-roll rewind. Does the use of that
>> feature sacrifice the unexposed remainder of the roll? If not, how
>> would I resume shooting where I had rewound?
>>
>> I probably will pick up a disposable underwater camera, though I don't
>> forsee my spending very much time under water. If I try to shoehorn one
>> more major activity into this vacation, I might need a hospital stay
>> when I return. However, the local dive shop says I still have time to
>> become scuba certified. That, in addition to attending college, working
>> full time and planning and equipping myself for this trip.
>>
>> Does anyone have any other equipment recommendations?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> You might want to consider learning to dive with a resort course. That
> is where you take the classroom, and pool phases at home, and then
> complete your training by taking the open water part of the course at a
> Hawaiian resort or dive shop.
>
> ALV

And with that said, here is a list of lenses that I will be taking with
me to Maui next week to use on my Canon 300D.

Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical
Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM

I thought about taking my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II as well, but I might
leave that spot in my bag open to store my Magellan GPS instead.

The other thing I might add is that trying to do seven islands in 14
days won't give you enough time on any of the islands to see much
besides the airports. You might find it more relaxing and productive to
cut back and concentrate on one or two islands this trip and save the
rest for the future. On my previous two trips to Hawaii I concentrated
on Oahu and the Big Islands each time. And I know the week I spent on
each island only scratched the surface of what is there to see.

ALV
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:10:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

>I expect that I will need a zoom lens and a wide-angle lens. How much
>zoom would be useful? Would 300 mm have much use in Hawaii? How about
>500 mm? I saw a 500 mm "mirrored lens" (?) zoom lens at Wolf Camera,
>but I don't know how it is designed to be used; I would prefer image
>stabilized lenses.

I don't think you'll be happy with a mirror lens.

For the long range, I would recommend the 75-300 IS.

And I would get a wide angle for landscapes - try to pick up a used
17mm or 22mm.

>I probably will pick up a disposable underwater camera, though I don't

A great idea, and a lot of fun.

-Joel

September 5, 2005 10:51:49 AM

Stefan Patric wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:18:54 -0700, pooua wrote:
>
> > I am planning a 2-week trip to Hawaii around January.

> I think you're being overly ambitious. 7 islands in 14 days? Not enough
> time or way too many islands. One or the other.

Normally, you would be correct. But, I'm not actually going to Hawaii
to take pictures. I am going to Hawaii because, when I was ages 5 to 7,
my family was stationed aboard Barber's Point Naval Air Station in
Waipahu, Hawaii. My Mom promised me several times that we would go to
the Big Island, some day. I was really looking forward to that. But, it
did not happen. Instead, we moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee.

I am going to Hawaii to revisit my childhood home and VISIT THE BIG
ISLAND!!

Everything else is extra, things I'm doing because I might as well do
them while I am there. After all, it's been 32 years since I was last
in Hawaii; there is no telling if I will ever be there, again.

Barber's Point NAS was decomissioned several years ago. I hope to see
it before they bulldoze it into a Wal-Mart parking lot.

And, yes, there isn't enough time. I know that. I probably would want
to spend a day just walking around where I used to live. Maybe a week.
I still remember playing there. I remember my friends. I remember
starting my first days in school there. I remember our front yard was
full of stickers, and our back yard was full of kaovi thorns.

> > I expect that I will need a zoom lens and a wide-angle lens. How much zoom
> > would be useful? Would 300 mm have much use in Hawaii? How about 500 mm? I
> > saw a 500 mm "mirrored lens" (?) zoom lens at Wolf Camera, but I don't
> > know how it is designed to be used; I would prefer image stabilized
> > lenses.
>
> You already have a good zoom, the 28-135, which should do for most
> "landscape" and travel-type shots. A 20mm or wider lens (prime or zoom)
> will come in handy. I took a 20 on my trip and used it quite frequently.

Thanks, I'll be looking for a good wide lens on eBay.

> > What is the best way to carry photographic equipment? Is a backpack or a
> > duffel bag more useful?
>
> I put all my stuff, except a lightweight Bogen/Manfrotto tripod,

.... I just bought a Velbon 540 tripod ...

> in one F2 Original Domke bag.

> Here's my Big Island trip equipment list: 2 Nikon
> FM2 bodies w/o motordrives, 20, 24, 28-70, 35, 85, 180 + matched 2X
> extender, Vivitar 285 flash with Quantum battery, filters, Minolta IIIF
> and Soligor 1 degree spot meters, 12" Wescott folding diffuser,
> monopod, notebook, pens, pencils, small tool kit, and room left over for
> 10 rolls of film.

Thanks for the list.

> > What film speeds are best? I am thinking of shooting with Velvia film
> > ($130 for 700 exposures from Wolf Camera), though the salesman warned me
> > that it is a very slow film (but beautiful if used in bright light with a
> > tripod or IS lens).
>
> I opted for 100 speed chrome for everything. I figured if I needed
> faster, I would buy it once I got there. I didn't need it. Although, the
> monopod did come in handy, especially in the rainforest and other heavily
> forested areas.

I hope to be able to take photographs from aircraft. I expect to take
at least one helicopter tour, and maybe a fixed-wing tour. I also plan
to attempt a visit to the Mauna Kia telescopes.

[snip]

> Leave the scuba for another day. Without special underwater flash, you
> won't get any decent shots deeper than 10 feet or so, usually shallower.
> Below 10 feet, the water starts filtering out all the other colors except
> blue. So, by 30 feet or so, everything will be blue or very bluish.
>
> So, if you want to do underwater stuff not invovling getting about $1000
> to $2000 worth of specialized photo gear, all you'll need is mask, snorkel
> and fins.

Good points. Also, I have to make my dives after my visit to the Big
Island. Because of the altitude on Mauna Kia, tour companies won't take
people to the top within 24 hours of scuba diving.

> > Does anyone have any other equipment recommendations?
>
> Think I've recommended more than enough.

Thank you.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:41:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

>My Mom promised me several times that we would go to
>the Big Island, some day. I was really looking forward to that. But, it
>did not happen. Instead, we moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Could've been worse. Could've been Longview, Texas.

>I am going to Hawaii to revisit my childhood home and VISIT THE BIG
>ISLAND!!

They should rename that island, "THE BIG UGLY."
Photographically speaking, you'd do much better spending more time on
Maui or Kauai.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/maui

As for equipment, I'd recommend traveling light.
And keep the equipment with you and not left in the car.

The 28-135 IS will probably serve you well, especially on a film body.
I prefer digital myself, of course.
Not much use for long lenses on Hawaii. The only time I used mine was
shooting surfers.

Since you'll have a tripod, don't forget to get some shots of the night
sky.
Go up on Haleakula or Mauna Kea and it will scare you how many stars
you can see.
I wish I'd done more of that. Maybe next time....

Forget the mid-roll rewind. You'll screw up more times than not. I've
got some very interesting
double-exposures by trying to save a half roll of film. Ever seen a
deer and a wedding couple in the same shot? Gives new meaning to
"caught in the headlights." Either buy film with less exposures per
roll or score a second body to have loaded with the different emulsion.
Of course, digital doesn't have this problem.

I'd recommend renting or borrowing a 20D for the trip and a sharp wide
angle lens like the 24-70L.
The only drawback to going Totally Digital in Hawaii is that you'll
either have to have lotsa memory cards or a way (laptop) to download
all your pics each day. Film is easier in that respect, but the
disadvantages of film make it less attractive, IMO.
Either way, have fun and take lotsa pics. Better to take too many than
too few, that's what I say.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:12:25 PM

Annika1980 wrote:
> >My Mom promised me several times that we would go to
> >the Big Island, some day. I was really looking forward to that. But, it
> >did not happen. Instead, we moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee.
>
> Could've been worse. Could've been Longview, Texas.

Chattanooga as I remember it was worse than Longview. We moved
initially to the industrial side of Chattanooga, which was old, poor
and suffering from urban decay. I remember driving past a big billboard
every day that had a picture of what appeared to be a naked man
scrunched up inside a hypodermic needle, with a caption saying it was
Hell. This was over by some old industrial yards next to the freeway.

Longview doesn't have much going for it, but it is much smaller. The
"ghetto" section of Chattanooga is larger than the entirety of
Longview. True, 3 decades makes a difference. Soon after I moved to
Longview, the City condemned and confiscated by eminent domain the
properties on a certain street intersection, where throngs of people
engaged in all manner of low-brow activities, including illegal drugs
and prostitution. But, notice that was only one street intersection;
that's all that Longview really had like that (though I must admit that
those throngs of people have simply moved to other parts of town).

> >I am going to Hawaii to revisit my childhood home and VISIT THE BIG
> >ISLAND!!
>
> They should rename that island, "THE BIG UGLY."
> Photographically speaking, you'd do much better spending more time on
> Maui or Kauai.
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/maui

I want to see the observatory on Mauna Kea and I want to see an active
volcano. That requires me to visit the Big Island. Besides, it is *the*
island!

> As for equipment, I'd recommend traveling light.
> And keep the equipment with you and not left in the car.
>
> The 28-135 IS will probably serve you well, especially on a film body.
> I prefer digital myself, of course.
> Not much use for long lenses on Hawaii. The only time I used mine was
> shooting surfers.

OK, maybe I can save money on equipment?

> Since you'll have a tripod, don't forget to get some shots of the night
> sky.
> Go up on Haleakula or Mauna Kea and it will scare you how many stars
> you can see.
> I wish I'd done more of that. Maybe next time....

It would seem to me that the night sky is pretty much the same
anywhere. I've travelled across Texas at night, and the sky is amazing.
Of course, it is all lost inside the cities. But, I've been around the
McDonald Observatory at night (OK, so it rained that night, I was still
there at night).

I may not be able to go up Mauna Kea, either, as there are frequent
storms in January. We are going try it, though.

> I'd recommend renting or borrowing a 20D for the trip and a sharp wide
> angle lens like the 24-70L.
> The only drawback to going Totally Digital in Hawaii is that you'll
> either have to have lotsa memory cards or a way (laptop) to download
> all your pics each day. Film is easier in that respect, but the
> disadvantages of film make it less attractive, IMO.

Yes, I prefer digital, too, but it has some serious drawbacks, too.

I've run around in heavy rain, taking photos with my Canon EOS Rebel G
and my old Olympus C-3040. I'm not sure I would want to try that with a
Canon 20D. I hear that they don't take well to water. Then, there is
the price. I could buy 5 of the Rebel G for what it would take for me
to buy a single 20D.

I'm taking my little point-and-shoot Minolta Dimage G500 for the
majority of my pictures. I love to take snapshots, and I take about 10k
of them a year. I'll leave the better shots to my film camera.

I might yet break down and buy a nice digital SLR, but not until
November. I'll let prices settle a bit. But, I must admit, it is a real
pain having to deal with film, especially because I insist on scanning
all of my photos, instead of allowing the labs to make prints. Scanning
500 exposures is not a trivial task. Downloading 500 digital photos
into my computer only takes a few minutes and little interaction on my
part.

> Either way, have fun and take lotsa pics. Better to take too many than
> too few, that's what I say.

Thanks!
September 5, 2005 11:00:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <1125796734.722670.225180@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, pooua@aol
..com says...

>I am planning a 2-week trip to Hawaii around January.

For a 2-wk trip to just two islands, I took D70, 12>24, 24>50, 35>135 (with
limited macro), 105 Micro and tubes, 80>200 and 300, plus about 16GB of CF
storage. Didn't use the 300 much.

One comment though, with the exception of Lanai, each island has four distinct
regions and each is unique. Three days/island is hardly enough to even visit
each region, much less capture anything but snapshots photographically. Then,
there is the ever-present "weather." While a whirl-wind trip can be great fun,
I'd be more concerned about seeing, than really photographing on such an
expedition. Also, Jan-Feb can be a bit taxing with an abundance of high-level
clouds.

Hunt
September 5, 2005 11:06:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <1125931262.282100.298900@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, annika
1980@aol.com says...

>>My Mom promised me several times that we would go to
>>the Big Island, some day. I was really looking forward to that. But, it
>>did not happen. Instead, we moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee.
>
>Could've been worse. Could've been Longview, Texas.
>
>>I am going to Hawaii to revisit my childhood home and VISIT THE BIG
>>ISLAND!!
>
>They should rename that island, "THE BIG UGLY."
>Photographically speaking, you'd do much better spending more time on
>Maui or Kauai.
>http://www.pbase.com/bret/maui
>
>As for equipment, I'd recommend traveling light.
>And keep the equipment with you and not left in the car.
>
>The 28-135 IS will probably serve you well, especially on a film body.
>I prefer digital myself, of course.
>Not much use for long lenses on Hawaii. The only time I used mine was
>shooting surfers.
>
>Since you'll have a tripod, don't forget to get some shots of the night
>sky.
>Go up on Haleakula or Mauna Kea and it will scare you how many stars
>you can see.
>I wish I'd done more of that. Maybe next time....
>
>Forget the mid-roll rewind. You'll screw up more times than not. I've
>got some very interesting
>double-exposures by trying to save a half roll of film. Ever seen a
>deer and a wedding couple in the same shot? Gives new meaning to
>"caught in the headlights." Either buy film with less exposures per
>roll or score a second body to have loaded with the different emulsion.
>Of course, digital doesn't have this problem.
>
>I'd recommend renting or borrowing a 20D for the trip and a sharp wide
>angle lens like the 24-70L.
>The only drawback to going Totally Digital in Hawaii is that you'll
>either have to have lotsa memory cards or a way (laptop) to download
>all your pics each day. Film is easier in that respect, but the
>disadvantages of film make it less attractive, IMO.
>Either way, have fun and take lotsa pics. Better to take too many than
>too few, that's what I say.

Regarding the downloading of the digital images, I got good reviews on King
Photo, and had planned to use them (Oahu, Maui, Hawai'i-Kona) for burning
CD's, but didn't need them. Might be worth a look, or maybe an i-Pod/Epson
2000/ Nikon CW, etc. However, CF's are fairly cheap. Sixty -> 80 GB of storage
can come in handy.

Hunt
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:59:48 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:51:49 -0700, pooua wrote:

> Stefan Patric wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:18:54 -0700, pooua wrote:
>>
>> > I am planning a 2-week trip to Hawaii around January.
>
>> I think you're being overly ambitious. 7 islands in 14 days? Not
>> enough time or way too many islands. One or the other.
>
> Normally, you would be correct. But, I'm not actually going to Hawaii to
> take pictures. I am going to Hawaii because, when I was ages 5 to 7, my
> family was stationed aboard Barber's Point Naval Air Station in Waipahu,
> Hawaii. My Mom promised me several times that we would go to the Big
> Island, some day. I was really looking forward to that. But, it did not
> happen. Instead, we moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee.
>
> I am going to Hawaii to revisit my childhood home and VISIT THE BIG
> ISLAND!!
>
> Everything else is extra, things I'm doing because I might as well do them
> while I am there. After all, it's been 32 years since I was last in
> Hawaii; there is no telling if I will ever be there, again.

Then, do it up right: Stay a month!!! That should give you more than
enough time for long, remembering walks and extensive photography of 7
islands. And it will be cheaper than doing another 2 weeks in 10 or 20
years, if ever.

Okay. So, a month is out of the question, but 3 weeks isn't.

And as a girl friend, who left the Big Island -- Hilo, specifically --
years ago to see the world, is fond of saying: "Take time to smell the
flowers."

Oh, and by the way, her favorite Hawaiian island is Maui, where she
returns periodically to "...cleanse my soul, renew my spirit, and get
back on "Hawaiian Time."" ;-)

Stefan
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:13:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 9/6/05 6:59 PM, in article
pan.2005.09.07.01.59.48.103246@thisaddress.com, "Stefan Patric" wrote:

<snip>

> And as a girl friend, who left the Big Island -- Hilo, specifically --
> years ago to see the world, is fond of saying: "Take time to smell the
> flowers."
>
> Oh, and by the way, her favorite Hawaiian island is Maui, where she
> returns periodically to "...cleanse my soul, renew my spirit, and get
> back on "Hawaiian Time."" ;-)

She's right, you got yourself a "keeper" - make sure you work hard to "keep"
her.....:)

PC
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:14:59 PM

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:13:13 -0700, Proconsul wrote:

> On 9/6/05 6:59 PM, in article
> pan.2005.09.07.01.59.48.103246@thisaddress.com, "Stefan Patric" wrote:
>
>> And as a girl friend, who left the Big Island -- Hilo, specifically --
>> years ago to see the world, is fond of saying: "Take time to smell the
>> flowers."
>>
>> Oh, and by the way, her favorite Hawaiian island is Maui, where she
>> returns periodically to "...cleanse my soul, renew my spirit, and get
>> back on "Hawaiian Time."" ;-)
>
> She's right, you got yourself a "keeper" - make sure you work hard to
> "keep" her.....:)

Way ahead of you. Already have...

Stefan
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:52:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On 9/8/05 7:14 PM, in article
pan.2005.09.09.02.14.56.342877@thisaddress.com, "Stefan Patric" wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:13:13 -0700, Proconsul wrote:
>
>> On 9/6/05 6:59 PM, in article
>> pan.2005.09.07.01.59.48.103246@thisaddress.com, "Stefan Patric" wrote:
>>
>>> And as a girl friend, who left the Big Island -- Hilo, specifically --
>>> years ago to see the world, is fond of saying: "Take time to smell the
>>> flowers."
>>>
>>> Oh, and by the way, her favorite Hawaiian island is Maui, where she
>>> returns periodically to "...cleanse my soul, renew my spirit, and get
>>> back on "Hawaiian Time."" ;-)
>>
>> She's right, you got yourself a "keeper" - make sure you work hard to
>> "keep" her.....:)
>
> Way ahead of you. Already have...

Don't let up.....:)

PC