Sign in with
Your question

Can I Upgrade PC for Gaming

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2013 8:22:53 PM

Hi guys,

I am a bit clueless regarding computer hardware but I do realize my computer specs are at the lower end of the spectrum. So may I seek advice on whether it is worth the time upgrading my current computer for gaming, and if so what to upgrade. Please bear with me as I may get terminology/technicalities incorrect :) 

I have been playing Skyrim and Borderlands 2 on my current setup, but with Low settings the majority of the time.

I have a Desktop HP Pavillion 6440
Processor: Intel Core Duo E4700 @2.60 GHz
Motherboard: Chipset Intel P35/G33/G31 Rev 10
ATI Raedon HD 5570
3GB RAM installed
Running Windows 7

More about : upgrade gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 203 4 Gaming
January 30, 2013 8:30:58 PM

check your psu. does it have pci-e 6 pin connector?
if yes

get Radeon 7770 :)  great boost in game performance
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
January 30, 2013 8:33:55 PM

first of all what would be your budget?

you would want to upgrade the graphics card of course. then depending on how much money you have; the motherboard, CPU and ram. you would most likely be able to re-use your hard drive(s) and cd/dvd drive. also another power supply would be in order since what you have now is very low wattage and especially upgrading the graphics card would need a better/higher wattage PSU.

follow me so far?
January 30, 2013 8:35:12 PM

Think your best bet would be to check out Your mobos Limitations on ram..I took a quick look but without knowing your serial there is no real way to lookup.. I beleive if you have a 64 bit operating system you can have up to 8gb of ddr2 ram, with 32 bit Os, you can have up to 4gb, but part of this 4gb will be removed for system resources

Your best upgrades for a pc, are always more ram, bigger better video card, and faster hdd. My suggestion is to get you a set of 4gb low cas latency dual channel ddr2 ram, and go grab a cheap Radeon Hd 7850 1gb 256bit Video card for around $160. After upgrading these, grab yourself a 500 watt psu and make sure it has a 6pin pci express connector... You will see a major increase in gaming with these and keep you under $250 total if you shop right!
!