Graphics Card Recommendation

G'day all,

Recently I have been experiencing problems with graphics card displaying and loading video content including DVD and YouTube so I guess my card is up the s#%t? I tried to uninstall driver and reinstall updated driver but without result. Even had issues loading Google Earth so out of frustration I uninstalled it.

Could anyone recommend best performing card for my system?

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro.
SP3.

Computer:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz.
1 GB of RAM.
AUSRock P4i65G Motherboard.
RADEON 9200 Series Graphics Card (PCI)

Or if you think it is not my graphics card and would recommend system tweak or otherwise I could have a crack at that before going onto graphics card purchase.

Yeah I know i'm running a dinosaur close to extinction but i don't have $1500 to buy a new system just to view some video content so your thoughts are appreciated.

Ross
11 answers Last reply
More about graphics card recommendation
  1. That mobo will support an AGP video card. One like this would be a huge improvement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161337

Just make sure your power supply meets the GPU's power requirements (400w or greater).
  2. COLGeek said:
    That mobo will support an AGP video card. Cone like this would be a huge improvement:

Just make sure your power supply meets the GPU's power requirements (400w or greater).

+1

:D
  3. I agree, that card will help. You may want to consider building a new system though as putting that much money into yours may not be the most cost effective way to go.
  4. COLGeek said:
    That mobo will support an AGP video card. One like this would be a huge improvement:

Great all I have to do now is find an Australian retailer for HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card or an EBay seller with free delivery..

My current power supply is total output 300W :(
  5. maestro0428 said:
    I agree, that card will help. You may want to consider building a new system though as putting that much money into yours may not be the most cost effective way to go.

Yes I was referring to a newly built system rather than putting that $$ into what I have now :)
  6. Guys will increasing my 1 GB RAM to 2 GB on the motherboard help or what I have at moment on the motherboard and what is available on board the recommended graphics card (1GB) combined be sufficient?
  7. Yes. Increasing your main memory will help with overall performance of the system. Also, the main memory and the video card memory are completely independent from one another.
  8. Ok I've been trying all afternoon to get my hands on one of these HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ [H467QS1GHA].. No stocks available in Australia and amazon wont ship this product to Australia (not sure why? Perhaps some trade agreement or something) and eBay has a few used going on auction (probably overclocked and problematic).. Tried to contact some American retailers directly so waiting for a reply.. Oh and Newegg.com wont post to Australia off their shopping cart processing secure checkout but I will shoot them an email and see what they reply..

Is there an alternative to this AGP slotted card? What about PCI slotted cards? I have 3 PCI slots to play with :)
  9. PCI performance will be no better than what you have now.

This link provides a few Nvidia based AGP cards. I would suggest a 512MB version:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007850%20600007303&IsNodeId=1&name=GeForce%206%20series

The only other AMD/ATI based one I would recommend is this one, but it quite a bit less capable than the HD4650:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161318

Have you searched Aussie tech sites for "4650 AGP"?
  10. Ok I finally located: HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card in Western Australia www.pcwest.com.au so awaiting delivery for that which cost me$178.00 AUD..

Also purchased 550W PSU from eBay seller gtaonline for $34.00 AUD..

You guys in USA get a better deals in terms of price and variety of goods/products.. We get hammered financially here for almost everything!

I'll update thread when I receive items and installed..
  11. COLGeek said:
    Yes. Increasing your main memory will help with overall performance of the system. Also, the main memory and the video card memory are completely independent from one another.

Ok I currently have Kingmax dual channel x 2 512 = 1GB in my AUSRock P4i65G Motherboard..

I looked in manual and does not specify max RAM nor a minimum.. Any suggestions on optimal performance or is it more a supply and demand scenario and user discretion but obviously there is a limitation to where performance is hindered and bottle necked?

Ok I jumped the gun before further research so I resolved the question, see bellow..

**Product specification at Ausrock website state: "Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB"**
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Video Graphics