Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Recommendation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2012 8:12:22 PM

G'day all,

Recently I have been experiencing problems with graphics card displaying and loading video content including DVD and YouTube so I guess my card is up the s#%t? I tried to uninstall driver and reinstall updated driver but without result. Even had issues loading Google Earth so out of frustration I uninstalled it.

Could anyone recommend best performing card for my system?

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro.
SP3.

Computer:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz.
1 GB of RAM.
AUSRock P4i65G Motherboard.
RADEON 9200 Series Graphics Card (PCI)

Or if you think it is not my graphics card and would recommend system tweak or otherwise I could have a crack at that before going onto graphics card purchase.

Yeah I know i'm running a dinosaur close to extinction but i don't have $1500 to buy a new system just to view some video content so your thoughts are appreciated.

Ross
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2012 9:44:08 PM

I agree, that card will help. You may want to consider building a new system though as putting that much money into yours may not be the most cost effective way to go.
m
l
December 16, 2012 12:37:18 AM

COLGeek said:
That mobo will support an AGP video card. One like this would be a huge improvement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just make sure your power supply meets the GPU's power requirements (400w or greater).

Great all I have to do now is find an Australian retailer for HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card or an EBay seller with free delivery..

My current power supply is total output 300W :( 
m
l
December 16, 2012 12:40:04 AM

maestro0428 said:
I agree, that card will help. You may want to consider building a new system though as putting that much money into yours may not be the most cost effective way to go.

Yes I was referring to a newly built system rather than putting that $$ into what I have now :) 
m
l
December 16, 2012 12:55:35 AM

Guys will increasing my 1 GB RAM to 2 GB on the motherboard help or what I have at moment on the motherboard and what is available on board the recommended graphics card (1GB) combined be sufficient?
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 12:58:20 AM

Yes. Increasing your main memory will help with overall performance of the system. Also, the main memory and the video card memory are completely independent from one another.
m
l
December 16, 2012 3:13:57 AM

Ok I've been trying all afternoon to get my hands on one of these HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ [H467QS1GHA].. No stocks available in Australia and amazon wont ship this product to Australia (not sure why? Perhaps some trade agreement or something) and eBay has a few used going on auction (probably overclocked and problematic).. Tried to contact some American retailers directly so waiting for a reply.. Oh and Newegg.com wont post to Australia off their shopping cart processing secure checkout but I will shoot them an email and see what they reply..

Is there an alternative to this AGP slotted card? What about PCI slotted cards? I have 3 PCI slots to play with :) 
m
l
December 17, 2012 8:12:30 AM

Ok I finally located: HIS IceQ H467QS1GHA Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card in Western Australia www.pcwest.com.au so awaiting delivery for that which cost me$178.00 AUD..

Also purchased 550W PSU from eBay seller gtaonline for $34.00 AUD..

You guys in USA get a better deals in terms of price and variety of goods/products.. We get hammered financially here for almost everything!

I'll update thread when I receive items and installed..
m
l
December 17, 2012 8:25:53 AM

COLGeek said:
Yes. Increasing your main memory will help with overall performance of the system. Also, the main memory and the video card memory are completely independent from one another.

Ok I currently have Kingmax dual channel x 2 512 = 1GB in my AUSRock P4i65G Motherboard..

I looked in manual and does not specify max RAM nor a minimum.. Any suggestions on optimal performance or is it more a supply and demand scenario and user discretion but obviously there is a limitation to where performance is hindered and bottle necked?

Ok I jumped the gun before further research so I resolved the question, see bellow..

**Product specification at Ausrock website state: "Max. capacity of system memory: 2GB"**

m
l
!