missing gameport drivers

a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 9:11:03 AM

when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message: "missing
gameport
or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly configured"
"consult your device manager"
I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but any
selection
under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
Any one have an idea?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:38 PM

strawboss59 wrote:

> when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message: "missing
> gameport
> or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly configured"
> "consult your device manager"
> I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but any
> selection
> under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
> Any one have an idea?
Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:39 PM

Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio; I
assumed
the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card on the
mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
fingers are
pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.

Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers for
usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!

"RobertVA" wrote:

> strawboss59 wrote:
>
> > when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message: "missing
> > gameport
> > or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly configured"
> > "consult your device manager"
> > I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but any
> > selection
> > under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
> > Any one have an idea?
> Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
> card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
> speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
> supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:40 PM

Don't assume since you have sound that you have the proper drivers from the
manufacturer for the game port. Dig around that manufacturer's web site and
locate the driver, then install it. After that, all you need do is plug in
the controller, go to Control Panel/Game Controllers/Add and then select
your controller from the list.

Windows XP already has the controller drivers natively.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 4558DE9-339E-483F-A1D2-9EE08F6D9DF2@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio; I
> assumed
> the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card on
> the
> mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
> fingers are
> pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.
>
> Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers for
> usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!
>
> "RobertVA" wrote:
>
>> strawboss59 wrote:
>>
>> > when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message:
>> > "missing
>> > gameport
>> > or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly
>> > configured"
>> > "consult your device manager"
>> > I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but
>> > any
>> > selection
>> > under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
>> > Any one have an idea?
>> Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
>> card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
>> speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
>> supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:41 PM

Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?

"Chris H." wrote:

> Don't assume since you have sound that you have the proper drivers from the
> manufacturer for the game port. Dig around that manufacturer's web site and
> locate the driver, then install it. After that, all you need do is plug in
> the controller, go to Control Panel/Game Controllers/Add and then select
> your controller from the list.
>
> Windows XP already has the controller drivers natively.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 4558DE9-339E-483F-A1D2-9EE08F6D9DF2@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio; I
> > assumed
> > the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card on
> > the
> > mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
> > fingers are
> > pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.
> >
> > Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers for
> > usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!

> >> Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
> >> card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
> >> speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
> >> supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:42 PM

You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your system
and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
--

> Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?
>

> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> Don't assume since you have sound that you have the proper drivers from
>> the
>> manufacturer for the game port. Dig around that manufacturer's web site
>> and
>> locate the driver, then install it. After that, all you need do is plug
>> in
>> the controller, go to Control Panel/Game Controllers/Add and then select
>> your controller from the list.
>>
>> Windows XP already has the controller drivers natively.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 4558DE9-339E-483F-A1D2-9EE08F6D9DF2@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio;
>> > assumed
>> > the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card
>> > on
>> > the
>> > mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
>> > fingers are
>> > pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.
>> >
>> > Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers
>> > for
>> > usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:43 PM

My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
re:gameport
I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't recognize my
plugnplay device period.

"Chris H." wrote:

> You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
> port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your system
> and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?
> >

> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> Don't assume since you have sound that you have the proper drivers from
> >> the
> >> manufacturer for the game port. Dig around that manufacturer's web site
> >> and
> >> locate the driver, then install it. After that, all you need do is plug
> >> in
> >> the controller, go to Control Panel/Game Controllers/Add and then select
> >> your controller from the list.
> >>
> >> Windows XP already has the controller drivers natively.
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>

> >> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:D 4558DE9-339E-483F-A1D2-9EE08F6D9DF2@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:44 PM

That's why I suggested you remove it in Device Manager and then restart your
system. Either Windows XP will automatically recognize the device and
install the proper drivers, or ask you for the the drivers.
--

> My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
> re:gameport
> I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't recognize
> my
> plugnplay device period.
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
>> port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your
>> system
>> and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:45 PM

The fact is that it's not in device mgr at all, and XP won't recognize it
period or
ask me for the drivers.

"Chris H." wrote:

> That's why I suggested you remove it in Device Manager and then restart your
> system. Either Windows XP will automatically recognize the device and
> install the proper drivers, or ask you for the the drivers.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
> > re:gameport
> > I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't recognize
> > my
> > plugnplay device period.
> >
> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
> >> port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your
> >> system
> >> and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
> >> --
> >> Chris H.
> >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> >> Associate Expert
> >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >>

> >> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 12:32:46 PM

Please follow the questions Jimmy posted.
--

news:D F969275-A4D6-431E-B98B-C5AA77558AF6@microsoft.com...

> The fact is that it's not in device mgr at all, and XP won't recognize it
> period or
> ask me for the drivers.
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> That's why I suggested you remove it in Device Manager and then restart
>> your
>> system. Either Windows XP will automatically recognize the device and
>> install the proper drivers, or ask you for the the drivers.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
>> > re:gameport
>> > I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't
>> > recognize
>> > my
>> > plugnplay device period.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2005 2:58:47 PM

Hi,

To make it easier for those offering their time to help you
troubleshoot this problem, it would help to know:

1. What is the make and model of the controller
(A website with the controller specs will help)

2. Are you able to install that controller on another XP system.

I have read your posts, and hope that you will reply back with
information that will help us, rather trying to make it seem as if
you've already given enough clues for us to have figured it out.

Thanks in advance! :-)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EE65851-B662-4A70-9F50-3B7E6E070497@microsoft.com...
> My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
> re:gameport
> I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't recognize my
> plugnplay device period.
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
>> port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your system
>> and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
February 13, 2005 8:43:12 AM

strawboss59 wrote:

> Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio; I
> assumed
> the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card on the
> mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
> fingers are
> pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.
>
> Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers for
> usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!
>
> "RobertVA" wrote:
>

>>strawboss59 wrote:
>>

>>>when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message: "missing
>>>gameport
>>> or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly configured"
>>> "consult your device manager"
>>>I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but any
>>>selection
>>>under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
>>> Any one have an idea?
>>
>>Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
>>card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
>>speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
>>supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

Most motherboard sound hardware doesn't have a gameport, thus the
drivers woun't support a gameport. Of couse in this situation there
wouldn't be a gameport to plug your controller into.

Add in sound cards require their own seperate drivers. You may have to
use the Add/Remove Hardware function in the Windows Control Panel to
activate the game port. The procedures are similar in Windows XP and
Windows 9x/ME. You woun't be able to install any gameport controllers
until after the gameport itself is activated.

Your system woun't recognize the presence of a USB device, game
controller or otherwise, unless the drivers for the computer's built in
USB controller/hub are installed and operating. Look for a USB Host
controller and USB Root Hub in the Device Manager.

There are adaptors on the market to connect ANALOG game controllers to
USB ports. Note that some gameport controllers, often labeled as
DIGITAL, utilize the gameport's MIDI circuits rather than the four axis/
four button game controller circuits. Digital gameport controlers woun't
work with many of the aftermarket USB adaptors, although they may
funtion with propietary adaptors that were included in the controller's
original package. Remember that contoller manufactures were utilizing
the gameport for purposes beyond those it was originally intended for.
Some functions of analog gameport controllers may not be available
through an aftermarket USB adaptor, since the controler's drivers
normally only work through a genuine gameport.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 18, 2009 3:11:54 AM

I have the exact same problem I have been using my flight simulator yolk ("ch flt sim yolk") for over a year"). All I did when I got it, per instruction, was plug it in and it worked immediately (I have Windows XP). About a month ago when I was moving the mouse around on the desk top a message suddenly flashed "game files are corrupted". when I opend flight simulator the yolk wouldn't operate correctly, hardly at all so I went into the flight simulator settings and tried to calibrate the yolk and a message came up saying "gameport drivers are not properly configured, consult Device Manager". Ever since then I have been trying to correct it (Device manager was no help) and neither was any of the other many sites that I have gone to where it seems that an extreme number of other people have the same problem but not necessarily the flight simulator yolk. None of the suggested solutions help. I see your inquiry is dated 2/12/05 and today is 4/17/09. I haven't seen any recent posts so I assume this is futile.
May 13, 2009 9:39:47 PM

Had the same - the solution is easy, you've got plug and play, unplug your joystick, and re-plug it - works.

Mind you might have to do it every time you restart your computer, but, what the hell, at least you've got a working joystick.
:hello:
!