missing gameport drivers

when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message: "missing
gameport
or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly configured"
"consult your device manager"
I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but any
selection
under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
Any one have an idea?
13 answers Last reply
More about missing gameport drivers

    strawboss59 wrote:

    > when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message: "missing
    > gameport
    > or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly configured"
    > "consult your device manager"
    > I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but any
    > selection
    > under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
    > Any one have an idea?
    Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
    card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
    speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
    supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

    Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio; I
    assumed
    the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card on the
    mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
    fingers are
    pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.

    Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers for
    usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!

    "RobertVA" wrote:

    > strawboss59 wrote:
    >
    > > when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message: "missing
    > > gameport
    > > or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly configured"
    > > "consult your device manager"
    > > I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but any
    > > selection
    > > under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
    > > Any one have an idea?
    > Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
    > card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
    > speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
    > supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

    Don't assume since you have sound that you have the proper drivers from the
    manufacturer for the game port. Dig around that manufacturer's web site and
    locate the driver, then install it. After that, all you need do is plug in
    the controller, go to Control Panel/Game Controllers/Add and then select
    your controller from the list.

    Windows XP already has the controller drivers natively.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio; I
    > assumed
    > the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card on
    > the
    > mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
    > fingers are
    > pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.
    >
    > Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers for
    > usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!
    >
    > "RobertVA" wrote:
    >
    >> strawboss59 wrote:
    >>
    >> > when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message:
    >> > "missing
    >> > gameport
    >> > or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly
    >> > configured"
    >> > "consult your device manager"
    >> > I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but
    >> > any
    >> > selection
    >> > under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
    >> > Any one have an idea?
    >> Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
    >> card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
    >> speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
    >> supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > Don't assume since you have sound that you have the proper drivers from the
    > manufacturer for the game port. Dig around that manufacturer's web site and
    > locate the driver, then install it. After that, all you need do is plug in
    > the controller, go to Control Panel/Game Controllers/Add and then select
    > your controller from the list.
    >
    > Windows XP already has the controller drivers natively.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio; I
    > > assumed
    > > the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card on
    > > the
    > > mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
    > > fingers are
    > > pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.
    > >
    > > Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers for
    > > usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!

    > >> Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
    > >> card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
    > >> speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
    > >> supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
    port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your system
    and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
    --

    > Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?
    >

    > "Chris H." wrote:
    >
    >> Don't assume since you have sound that you have the proper drivers from
    >> the
    >> manufacturer for the game port. Dig around that manufacturer's web site
    >> and
    >> locate the driver, then install it. After that, all you need do is plug
    >> in
    >> the controller, go to Control Panel/Game Controllers/Add and then select
    >> your controller from the list.
    >>
    >> Windows XP already has the controller drivers natively.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio;
    >> > assumed
    >> > the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card
    >> > on
    >> > the
    >> > mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
    >> > fingers are
    >> > pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.
    >> >
    >> > Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers
    >> > for
    >> > usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
    re:gameport
    I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't recognize my
    plugnplay device period.

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
    > port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your system
    > and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?
    > >

    > > "Chris H." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Don't assume since you have sound that you have the proper drivers from
    > >> the
    > >> manufacturer for the game port. Dig around that manufacturer's web site
    > >> and
    > >> locate the driver, then install it. After that, all you need do is plug
    > >> in
    > >> the controller, go to Control Panel/Game Controllers/Add and then select
    > >> your controller from the list.
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP already has the controller drivers natively.
    > >> --
    > >> Chris H.
    > >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >>

    > >> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    That's why I suggested you remove it in Device Manager and then restart your
    system. Either Windows XP will automatically recognize the device and
    install the proper drivers, or ask you for the the drivers.
    --

    > My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
    > re:gameport
    > I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't recognize
    > my
    > plugnplay device period.
    >
    > "Chris H." wrote:
    >
    >> You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
    >> port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your
    >> system
    >> and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    The fact is that it's not in device mgr at all, and XP won't recognize it
    period or
    ask me for the drivers.

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > That's why I suggested you remove it in Device Manager and then restart your
    > system. Either Windows XP will automatically recognize the device and
    > install the proper drivers, or ask you for the the drivers.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
    > > re:gameport
    > > I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't recognize
    > > my
    > > plugnplay device period.
    > >
    > > "Chris H." wrote:
    > >
    > >> You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
    > >> port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your
    > >> system
    > >> and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
    > >> --
    > >> Chris H.
    > >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > >> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >>

    > >> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Please follow the questions Jimmy posted.
    --

    > The fact is that it's not in device mgr at all, and XP won't recognize it
    > period or
    > ask me for the drivers.
    >
    > "Chris H." wrote:
    >
    >> That's why I suggested you remove it in Device Manager and then restart
    >> your
    >> system. Either Windows XP will automatically recognize the device and
    >> install the proper drivers, or ask you for the the drivers.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
    >> > re:gameport
    >> > I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't
    >> > recognize
    >> > my
    >> > plugnplay device period.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi,

    To make it easier for those offering their time to help you
    troubleshoot this problem, it would help to know:

    1. What is the make and model of the controller
    (A website with the controller specs will help)

    2. Are you able to install that controller on another XP system.

    I have read your posts, and hope that you will reply back with
    information that will help us, rather trying to make it seem as if
    you've already given enough clues for us to have figured it out.

    Thanks in advance! :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EE65851-B662-4A70-9F50-3B7E6E070497@microsoft.com...
    > My first post was "install any joystick" and the message would appear
    > re:gameport
    > I'm forced to attempt an install manually because Xp won't recognize my
    > plugnplay device period.
    >
    > "Chris H." wrote:
    >
    >> You were talking about a game port device, not USB. If you see whatever
    >> port it is in Device Manager, try removing it, then restarting your system
    >> and letting Windows XP properly recognize and install it.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "strawboss59" <strawboss59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Did I make it clear that it's a plugnplay joystick?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    strawboss59 wrote:

    > Hi, I figure the driver for the sound card is there since I have audio; I
    > assumed
    > the retailer that sold me the tower would have a rudimentry game card on the
    > mother board at least, but I'm still sort of new to this, and a lot of
    > fingers are
    > pointing at MS not supporting joysticks under XP.
    >
    > Was on the phone with retailer's tech support,they upgraded my drivers for
    > usb2.0 then threw up their hands and said talk to MS!
    >
    > "RobertVA" wrote:
    >

    >>strawboss59 wrote:
    >>

    >>>when I try to install any joysticks I get the following message: "missing
    >>>gameport
    >>> or gameport drivers" "your port or drivers aren't properly configured"
    >>> "consult your device manager"
    >>>I'm using xp home and at first thought that it was my controller but any
    >>>selection
    >>>under" add game controller " gives me the above message{s}
    >>> Any one have an idea?
    >>
    >>Do you have a sound card? Have you installed the drivers for the sound
    >>card? Most motherboards that feature built in sound (microphone and
    >>speaker jacks on the motherboard's port panel) need an addon card to
    >>supply game port function. The gameport needs drivers too.

    Most motherboard sound hardware doesn't have a gameport, thus the
    drivers woun't support a gameport. Of couse in this situation there
    wouldn't be a gameport to plug your controller into.

    Add in sound cards require their own seperate drivers. You may have to
    use the Add/Remove Hardware function in the Windows Control Panel to
    activate the game port. The procedures are similar in Windows XP and
    Windows 9x/ME. You woun't be able to install any gameport controllers
    until after the gameport itself is activated.

    Your system woun't recognize the presence of a USB device, game
    controller or otherwise, unless the drivers for the computer's built in
    USB controller/hub are installed and operating. Look for a USB Host
    controller and USB Root Hub in the Device Manager.

    There are adaptors on the market to connect ANALOG game controllers to
    USB ports. Note that some gameport controllers, often labeled as
    DIGITAL, utilize the gameport's MIDI circuits rather than the four axis/
    four button game controller circuits. Digital gameport controlers woun't
    work with many of the aftermarket USB adaptors, although they may
    funtion with propietary adaptors that were included in the controller's
    original package. Remember that contoller manufactures were utilizing
    the gameport for purposes beyond those it was originally intended for.
    Some functions of analog gameport controllers may not be available
    through an aftermarket USB adaptor, since the controler's drivers
    normally only work through a genuine gameport.
  12. I have the exact same problem I have been using my flight simulator yolk ("ch flt sim yolk") for over a year"). All I did when I got it, per instruction, was plug it in and it worked immediately (I have Windows XP). About a month ago when I was moving the mouse around on the desk top a message suddenly flashed "game files are corrupted". when I opend flight simulator the yolk wouldn't operate correctly, hardly at all so I went into the flight simulator settings and tried to calibrate the yolk and a message came up saying "gameport drivers are not properly configured, consult Device Manager". Ever since then I have been trying to correct it (Device manager was no help) and neither was any of the other many sites that I have gone to where it seems that an extreme number of other people have the same problem but not necessarily the flight simulator yolk. None of the suggested solutions help. I see your inquiry is dated 2/12/05 and today is 4/17/09. I haven't seen any recent posts so I assume this is futile.
  13. Had the same - the solution is easy, you've got plug and play, unplug your joystick, and re-plug it - works.

    Mind you might have to do it every time you restart your computer, but, what the hell, at least you've got a working joystick.
    :hello:

Drivers Games Gameport Windows XP