Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Possible PC Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 30, 2013 10:26:26 PM

I just want some feedback on a possible rig I built. It will be used for gaming, HD recording, and video editing. I would go with an i5 and 8GB of RAM but I hear that editing is better with an i7 and 12-16GB of RAM and I will be doing quite a bit of it. If I am wrong please tell me. I would also lik to play demanding games like ArmA II with high-max settings and be able to record all while keeping a good frame rate. I would also like to have a multi monitor set up in the near future so would someone please let me know if this build would allow it? Thank you for your time and also I am somewhat new to PC building so be nice ;) 

CPU- Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core

CPU Cooler- SilenX EFZ-120HA5 86.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing

Motherboard- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155

RAM- Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

SSD- Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB 2.5" SSD

GPU- MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB

Sound Card- Asus Xonar D1

Tower- Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply- Cooler Master 720W ATX12V

Optical Drive- Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

OS- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit


Everything comes to a grand total of just over $1800 if that helps at all.

More about : build

January 30, 2013 10:32:11 PM

I would upgrade the SSD to a Samsung 830/840 series and since you'll be doing editing, you're going to need a storage drive.
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 10:42:21 PM

scottiemedic said:
I would upgrade the SSD to a Samsung 830/840 series and since you'll be doing editing, you're going to need a storage drive.


Ok thanks. Anything else you would recommend?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 30, 2013 10:59:02 PM

Here is what I would suggest.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.26 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($95.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1397.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 20:00 EST-0500)

I didn't see an HDD in your build so I just added a 2TB one. You could get by with a 650W PSU if you don't plan to CrossFire your 7970.
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 11:08:10 PM

cball1311 said:
Here is what I would suggest.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.26 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($95.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1397.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 20:00 EST-0500)

I didn't see an HDD in your build so I just added a 2TB one. You could get by with a 650W PSU if you don't plan to CrossFire your 7970.


Woops your right. Thanks I'll save some new builds using these ideas.
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 11:14:11 PM

If u go multi monitor you'll really need crossfire so would get a 750w or so psu.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:42:34 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
If u go multi monitor you'll really need crossfire so would get a 750w or so psu.



Time for a noob question. What exactly is Crossfire? Is it where you combine two graphics cards to increase preformance across the monitors?
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 1:12:31 AM

Indeed.

Here's an example of why you might need to run two GPUs for three monitors (at 1080p ultra anyway):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli...

Look at the bottom chart. And that's on single player which is less demanding that multiplayer. On the other hand, the drivers have improved a lot since then.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 2:07:04 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
Indeed.

Here's an example of why you might need to run two GPUs for three monitors (at 1080p ultra anyway):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli...

Look at the bottom chart. And that's on single player which is less demanding that multiplayer. On the other hand, the drivers have improved a lot since then.



OK so do you think I should stick with the 7950/70 or should I switch to a different card such as a 680 or something?
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 3:02:20 AM

I'm kinda liking the 7970. Can't go wrong with that one.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 3:08:50 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
I'm kinda liking the 7970. Can't go wrong with that one.



Ok I'll look into that. Just one final question, would I have to install the second card right away or could I do it later as I probably wont have a multi monitor set up for a bit
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 2:07:00 PM

You can add it later. No problems there.
m
0
l
!