Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Build frustration. Expensive things come in small packages.

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 30, 2013 10:26:57 PM

About 3 weeks ago I had a friend give me a modded Silverstone TJ08-E matx case. Its airbrushed to a metallic grey violet, has perfect side panel cut out on the right side (the case opens on the right) 2 matching black handles,and has a 5.25" to 4x 2.5" adapter in the bottom 5.25" drive bay, as well as a temp gage / fan controller in the bottom 3.5" drive bay. A case worthy of photos lol.


Unfortunately, what my buddy does with a $100 case as a hobby doesn't fit well with what I can do as a student with a light wallet. I've only got about $650.00 to work with right now. I did manage to locate a dvd drive and a hard drive, so those are out of the way. The rest is up in the air. The last time I built a computer I was 16 and it was a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz with a 128 mb video card. Was top of the line at the time lol.


Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. I don't know much about the newer AMD / Intel processors or the balance between them and the video cards as far as which one bottlenecks first. Just looking for something I can play games on when I'm not working on the computer.


Feel kinda dumb putting a $650.00 build in this case. Its probably worth about half that. I know the paint was $65.00 lol. But yea, I'd love to have a full system to take photos of and actually show off.
January 30, 2013 10:39:09 PM

Are you going to need a operating system?
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 10:43:33 PM

tenaciousk said:
Are you going to need a operating system?


Sorry forgot that.

No I've got Win7 Ultimate 64 I can use.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 30, 2013 10:45:05 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 PRO3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($353.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $620.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 19:45 EST-0500)


I think this would be pretty solid.
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 10:54:14 PM

tenaciousk said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 PRO3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($77.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($353.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $620.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 19:45 EST-0500)


I think this would be pretty solid.



Only problem with that is that the motherboard has to be mATX. I tried finding some AM3+ mATX boards and there don't seem to be many.

Since the case has a clear side I would definitely want a modular power supply, but I could probably downgrade slightly on the video card to make up for that. Looking at a couple other threads I think I can get the power supply for about 80 bucks so I might be able to just come up with another $50 anyway.

Just realized the processor is from Microcenter but its only $20 more on Newegg so thats no big deal either.

Sorry I should have posted that in the original post lol. That gives me a good start though thanks :)  If anyone else has any input thats welcome as well.
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 11:07:54 PM

My suggestion :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($273.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($67.04 @ Amazon)
Total: $642.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

With modular psu, it's a good one.
m
0
l
January 30, 2013 11:16:07 PM




Ah, that first board didn't show up because the search ignored uatx. I actually like how all of those have a pci-1 slot above the video card. Would let me install wireless once I had some more cash. I know theres no need for it, but having the extra 2 memory slots for added ram in the future is nice too.


@ Djangoringo, I'll check yours out

m
0
l
January 30, 2013 11:39:03 PM

andrewcarr said:
You could get this motherboard it has everything you need on it, including the on board USB 3.0 header for the front of that case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for the PSU consider these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Didn't even think about the fact I've got front usb3. I guess the top pci1 slot is out of the question then lol. Doesn't look like any of them have that setup and usb3 headers ><
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:00:37 AM

What do you need in the PCI x1 slot that's important? The motherboard I listed is unfortunately the only one with an internal USB 3.0 header.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:06:22 AM

JLawL said:
Ah, that first board didn't show up because the search ignored uatx. I actually like how all of those have a pci-1 slot above the video card. Would let me install wireless once I had some more cash. I know theres no need for it, but having the extra 2 memory slots for added ram in the future is nice too.


@ Djangoringo, I'll check yours out



This might be useful for you :

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=702

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/fx-8350-83...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/fx-8350-83...
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:06:38 AM

andrewcarr said:
What do you need in the PCI x1 slot that's important? The motherboard I listed is unfortunately the only one with an internal USB 3.0 header.


Not important. Just figured I could put a wireless card in there later on. Not a big deal I already found a wireless USB card I can use.


That board uses 1333+ memory as a max so now I've just gotta find a good deal on some of that rather than the 1600.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:12:01 AM




There's no doubt the i5 is faster. Its also $83.00 more than the AMD chip when you compare the cpu and motherboard together though. I haven't ruled that out either. I'm just messing around with combinations trying to get the most out of what I've got to work with.


If I were to drop down from the 670 to a 7870 for example the extra $100 could go towards the Intel setup and would probably be better overall. Just looking for options.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:12:42 AM

It says 1333+ because 1333 is the max it'll run at stock but you can manually change it to 1600 and have it run at those speeds.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:13:54 AM

andrewcarr said:
It says 1333+ because 1333 is the max it'll run at stock but you can manually change it to 1600 and have it run at those speeds.



Yea I saw that after I posted it lol. So I've got the full build / price for the AMD set now gonna do the same thing for the Intel I guess lol.

Maybe I'll get lucky and get hit by a bus or something and get a fat paycheck to build a real computer :p 
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:17:32 AM

JLawL said:
There's no doubt the i5 is faster. Its also $83.00 more than the AMD chip when you compare the cpu and motherboard together though. I haven't ruled that out either. I'm just messing around with combinations trying to get the most out of what I've got to work with.


If I were to drop down from the 670 to a 7870 for example the extra $100 could go towards the Intel setup and would probably be better overall. Just looking for options.


The 660 ti is better than the 7870, and just about a bit less than a 670 gtx, especially the 660 ti msi pe, which has an enormous oc potential.
All of the suggestion made here by all users are valid, just pointing out what might be the best for you.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:19:51 AM

djangoringo said:
The 660 ti is better than the 7870, and just about a bit less than a 670 gtx, especially the 660 ti msi pe, which has an enormous oc potential.
All of the suggestion made here by all users are valid, just pointing out what might be the best for you.



Yea I just noticed that as well that the 7870 runs between the 660 and 660ti. The only issue I have with that is that it doesn't look like its strictly rear exhaust. Which might be a problem in an inverted micro atx case. Maybe not though.


In comparison to this card which a few people in a similar thread said was really nice for that specific fact - kept the air from circulating through the case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 12:52:59 AM

I'll second that, that cooler is one of the best on the market.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 1:01:17 AM

Well, I can't really claim to be using anyone's build at the moment lol. But I'm at $633.92 mixing and matching some of each. That includes a Hyper 212 EVO heat sink and a rear case fan that I realized I would probably want. Didn't bother to ask about the case fan since I don't really think it matters.


That's an extra $44 in total that I couldn't afford to use with the Intel setup I don't think. I might try it anyway just in case. Honestly though, don't think I would notice any difference in performance either way considering what I do with it. I'll check it out anyways.


Guess I may as well drop the 6 bucks for the Arctic Silver too lol.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 1:24:20 AM

Overclocking in such motherboard isn't great, it has low power phases and it's matx, i'd get at least a motherboard with the 970 chipset for that, also worth mention, a FX-6300 oc doesn't beat an i5 stock, and it will draw much more power, to the op take in consideration.
This gives you a good bang for the buck : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AAek
It doesn't need an aftermarket cooler, the i5, it's good for matx setups.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 1:54:48 AM

andrewcarr said:
Here's my full build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AA7T

I's got some very nice components in it and should overclock great.



That 7950 is $80 more than the 7870 in the same brand is it really worth the extra price? Isn't the 3GB pretty much just for super high resolutions and such?

I have the same power supply / motherboard and different memory only because I wanted it blue since the case has a window lol.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 3:16:28 AM

Well it does perform better, and will perform at higher settings for a bit longer than the 7870, although 3 GB of video memory is beneficial for higher resolutions it's also a factor at higher settings (such as max AA). As newer games come out it should be able to better cope with that.

The 7950 will be able to match and possibly beat a stock 7970 when overclocked. Although not necessarily it's a nice addition, but if you'd prefer to step down to a 7870 and go a bit up to an i5 that would also be an option.

As for the motherboard, the one I listed is by no means bad, but there are better ones of course. It'll be just fine for overclocking.
m
0
l
January 31, 2013 10:35:15 PM

Alright, so I have basically everything ready to order. My friend made a point a few minutes ago that has me thinking again lol.

He said that if it were him, he would get an i3 processor - since its the same price and roughly same performance as an FX6300 - and a motherboard with the features I wanted. And that way if I chose to later I could put in an i5 or an i7 when they were cheaper, and get a drastic performance increase.

Versus the AM3+ motherboard, which although AMD is planning on keeping the AM3+ chipset for a while, doesn't have many features as AMD doesn't seem to have any decent / current AM3+ boards out for their newer stuff yet.



So now I think thats what I am going to do. I can get an i3 3220 with a discount from Newegg for $96.87 with shipping. Which would mean I can also keep the nicer video card and then in 6 months or whenever just swap the processor and still have a nice system.


Either way, will be a massive upgrade from what I'm used to. I had to play Skyrim on my PS3 because my computer couldn't handle it on lowest settings lol. So I'll be happy no matter what.
m
0
l
February 1, 2013 2:31:34 AM

Okay but I doubt you'll upgrade in the future, it's much better to just outright buy an i5 if that's what you really want. The new FX CPU's aren't awful and will do better in more heavily threaded workloads vs the i3. Also the next gen intel CPU's are getting a new socket so the best you could get would be an ivy bridge. Overclocked the FX would be better overall but the i3 could be upgraded to better, so you have to make a decision there. Best of luck though with whatever you chose and I don't think you'll be dissapointed either way.
m
0
l
February 1, 2013 2:39:53 AM

JLawL said:
Alright, so I have basically everything ready to order. My friend made a point a few minutes ago that has me thinking again lol.

He said that if it were him, he would get an i3 processor - since its the same price and roughly same performance as an FX6300 - and a motherboard with the features I wanted. And that way if I chose to later I could put in an i5 or an i7 when they were cheaper, and get a drastic performance increase.

Versus the AM3+ motherboard, which although AMD is planning on keeping the AM3+ chipset for a while, doesn't have many features as AMD doesn't seem to have any decent / current AM3+ boards out for their newer stuff yet.



So now I think thats what I am going to do. I can get an i3 3220 with a discount from Newegg for $96.87 with shipping. Which would mean I can also keep the nicer video card and then in 6 months or whenever just swap the processor and still have a nice system.


Either way, will be a massive upgrade from what I'm used to. I had to play Skyrim on my PS3 because my computer couldn't handle it on lowest settings lol. So I'll be happy no matter what.



It doesn't make sense, you can have the i5-3470 right now, it fits the budget, why pay 100$ now for a dual core and 200$ later for the same i5 ?
There's no more cpus that will be released for lga 1155, so its best to get the i5 now, also you a 660 ti will do for 1080p just fine.
You'll have a well balanced pc.
m
0
l
February 1, 2013 7:24:19 AM

No I said that backwards I guess. He said that if I got the i3 I could upgrade to an i5, but I knew the line ended with 1155s. Where as the FX would let me upgrade to a totally new chip since it was staying on AM3+ lol.


Either way doesn't matter now, Amazon screwed up my order and I couldn't cancel, the support rep I spoke to said "oh just refuse the package and we'll refund in 5-7 business days" ok cool, so I wait 5-8 business days for the package, refuse it, wait 5-7 more, then order and wait 5-8 more. Fantastic. So yea. Pretty much put off and may not even build one now. Might just go buy myself a tv -,-
m
0
l
!