[Graphics Card] Dark screen after uninstalling Amd/Catalyst driver

amd guy101

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my AMD Radeon 6870 driver from 12.3 to 12.10 but when i try to uninstall the old driver (12.3) my screen goes dark when catalyst starts uninstalling, not completely black, i can barely make out my desktop backround.I had to do a system restore to get it back to normal. Also I'm running windows 7.

Anyone know what the problem could be ? I have no idea why i can't uninstall my old driver :cry:

amd guy101

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

On the Amd Driver website it says to upgrade the Amd drivers you have to uninstall the old drivers first.I can't uninstall the old drivers so how can i upgrade to the new drivers with the old ones still installed ? Can you be a little more detailed please,i'm a noob at this, thanks

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
when you install the catalyst it ask you what you want to do there is a install and below a box to uninstall the old driver use this and yes the screen will go black read the process advise on that the system will ask for restart then when the boot is complete install the new driver.

amd guy101

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Ok, so you are saying when i install the new catalyst driver it will ask me if i want to uninstall the old drivers ? Why doesn't the AMD website tell me this ? I'm so confused right now :??: