Sign in with
Your question

Got the old girl up to speed!

January 30, 2013 10:55:31 PM

I posted on here a few weeks ago while I was trying to get my very old games rig to run some decent games. My problem was I had... and still don't have any money! So I just wanted to share what I think is my success just to show that you don't always have to spend a fortune to get something decent!

I started out with the following spec machine (which basically was struggling with Company of Heroes on decent settings)
Asus P5n32-E SLI motherboard
Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo (2.4ghz)
2GB Corsair 667mhz DDR2 RAM XMS2
FSP Epsilon 600W PSU
Asus Nvidia 560ti 1GB
Soundblaster X-Fi
120gb Seagate SATA2 HDD
LG DVD re-writer

First off I looked at what processor would fit in my board, turns out I could fit up to an E8600 dual core or a Q6600 quad core. So I took to eBay on the hunt for a bargain. I watched many and in the end I spotted an E8500 finishing at a random time. I stayed up late one night to watch it and BAM it was all mine for £33! I then bought some Arctic silver 5 and arcticlean solutions off Amazon for £9 and fitted the new processor into my machine with the stock cooler from my E6600. As christmas was coming up I asked the missus for what she thought was the most random present ever... An intel 330 SSD drive :)  But bless her she got it for me! £80 from Scan. I fitted this and then we where cooking, the machine ran like an absolute charm. The last hurdle was the RAM. After A LOT of searching on eBay I managed to find the exact same two sticks of RAM that already resided in the old girl and whisked them up for a pathetic £8 including postage!

So for a total cost of £130 (only £50 direct out of my pocket) my little old girl has jumped her Win 7 experience score from 5.9 to 6.6 and I've just been playing company of heroes in ultra in full 1080p. I've also tried Crysis and the witcher so far as well and I'm pleased to report it performed the same in those as well! I'm over the moon. I'm sure it won't play... I don't know lets say battlefield 3 on ultra but for £50 instead of £100's of pounds I think I've done alright!

More about : girl speed

!