General Question - will a good GPU make up for other components?

allamerican02

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Hi there,

I was researching for a new GPU for my computer and I was wondering - if you want to play a game, and your computer does not meet the minimum requirements for a number of areas, then can you get a powerful GPU that will make up a difference?

For instance, for Assassin's Creed III the recommended requirements vs what I have are below. If I got a good GPU would it make up for the slow chip and lack of RAM? Thanks for any help...

CPU
Recommended: 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 or 3.0 GHz AMD Phenom II X4 940
You Have: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Upgrade Suggested

CPU Speed
Recommended: Info
You Have: 2.2 GHz

RAM
Recommended: 4 GB
You Have: 3.0 GB
Upgrade Suggested

OS
Recommended: Windows Vista (SP2) / Windows 7 (SP1) / Windows 8
You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Upgrade Suggested

Video Card
Recommended: 1024 MB DirectX 10 compliant with Shader Model 5.0 or higher (GeForce GTX 460 or Radeon HD 6850)
You Have:
Click here for the latest Video Card drivers.
Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Pixel Shader version 5.0
Vertex Shader version 5.0
Dedicated Video RAM 1024 MB

Sound Card
Recommended: Yes
You Have: Realtek AC'97 Audio
Click here for the latest Sound Card drivers.

Free Disk Space
Recommended: 17 GB
You Have: 122.6 GB

Solution
I have no idea what a GSU is.

Do you mean GPU, as in graphics processor. If so, then yes, it will make lots of difference, however with disproportionate processor you will suffer extreme stuttering, and without enough RAM you will face extremely long load times/general slowness, etc..

Good luck!

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
I have no idea what a GSU is.

Do you mean GPU, as in graphics processor. If so, then yes, it will make lots of difference, however with disproportionate processor you will suffer extreme stuttering, and without enough RAM you will face extremely long load times/general slowness, etc..

Good luck!

Solution

Bellular

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
It will to a point. Also the number of cores could be an issue in the future. While the GPU is definatly the largest factor more and more games (for example BF3) make good use of additional cores. The lack of RAM will slow your entire system down - RAM is a cheap upgrade these days. A decent sized 6/8gb kit wouldnt cost a lot and would certainly help. Here is a video you may find interesting, some nice comparisons etc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdo75gasaQ . It is 2 years old but the principles still apply.