Sign in with
Your question

GTX 680 SLI underperforming..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2012 12:33:16 AM

My friend's 2 weeks old PC has problem of low FPS when running graphic demanding games such as BF3 (30-40 fps) and Far Cry 3 (27-30fps)

His spec is..

i7 3770K
Corsair 16GB 1600MHz
ASrock Z77 Extreme 4
Corsair 850W
2xAsus GTX680 DCUII
Asus 27" 120Hz Monitor
Win 7 64 Bit

In Nvidia CP his refresh rate is 120Hz
Game settings are all highest with vsync off
Nvidia driver 310.70 beta
Power management profile is set to maximum performance
Sli Profile is Maximum with PhysX auto-detect

He said when he got the machine, it comes with Lucid Virtu and he already uninstall it because he thought it was a bloatware.

What seems to be the culprit causing the low perfomance fps?
Is it because the system decided to switch to on-board Intel graphic by itself?
What does he need to do to stop it from doing that?
Should he re-install Lucid Virtu?

Cheers
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 12:49:17 AM

I think it's the beta drivers have issues that still need fixed also far cry 3 is very demanding still there is something wrong because my friend has only one 680 Top and he is getting avg. 48fps in far cry 3. Could you open task manager, press Show processes from all users, maximize the window, sort it by user name, take screenshot and upload it? Maybe... you've got some extra processes running in the background which are crippling your performance.What is your CPU usage during lag?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 12:49:24 AM

can i ask if he got a 2nd 680 at the time the computer was built or at a later recent date.. Because I think your experiencing a bottleneck. While the I7 can handle 2 680's... There is a slight bottleneck

Now FarCry 3 in general is a demanding game that not even the current gen hardware can render it easy... Its because there is alot going on such as tree's and bushes moving all on a big scale.. Your two 680's should be able to do it though.. So OC that I7 a little (Use a after market cooler Please) and you should see a improvement
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2012 12:52:51 AM

If it was the integrated Intel HD graphics 4000 he would not even be getting that good of FPS, so that's not the problem.
m
l
December 16, 2012 1:00:59 AM

Thx guys, I'll tell him to check the task managers and the processing programs and all that

His machine is custom build order so yes, the two 680 are with the built initially.

PS. About the beta driver issue, actually he was using 309.67 WHQL before and FPS is even worse. 310.70 beta seems to help him a bit
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 1:11:22 AM

It is possible he has raised the AA settings beyond reason. Most people who say Maxed settings, don't actually raise MSAA beyond x4. He may just need to back off a few of those types of settings.

Also, regarding Lucid Virtu, it is a good piece of software to help keep games more responsive while v-sync is on, but it will inflate the FPS well beyond what is actually being generated, which really isn't a problem, but when you see nearly twice as many FPS as without it, realize it is not really generating that man FPS.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 1:24:06 AM

bystander said:
It is possible he has raised the AA settings beyond reason. Most people who say Maxed settings, don't actually raise MSAA beyond x4. He may just need to back off a few of those types of settings.

Also, regarding Lucid Virtu, it is a good piece of software to help keep games more responsive while v-sync is on, but it will inflate the FPS well beyond what is actually being generated, which really isn't a problem, but when you see nearly twice as many FPS as without it, realize it is not really generating that man FPS.
+1 good point. I keep forgetting when members get worried about these things to ask what their settings are.It seems most are under some false impression,That you can crank everything up to max.If it's less then 60 fps something wrong.Which btw it's not.
m
l
!