New System won't boot when GTX650ti added

Isparkes

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hello,

Like I said I just built a hot rod with a few minor differences
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/ars-technica-system-guide-december-2012/4/
It has a gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h mb and I had to go up 1 size on psu as as I couldn't find a 450w version.
Works fine with the on board graphics but when I put in a video car it stops at A0 which is "IDE Initialization Started"
I've tried two VC now and both have the same result, New one Zotac gtx650ti and my old one Radeon 5770 same result
I'm booting using the new uefi
Any help is great appreciated

Isparkes

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

I did go through all 23 steps and when using on board graphics all is fine

Enter BIOS and head for the page that controls your hard drive

You need to enable AHCI mode
also SMART

Make certain the SSD is the drive you are booting from . Confirm that , if necessary, by pulling the power lead from the mechanical hard drive

Neither of those should affect your graphics card in any way I can think of , but its obviously trying to boot in IDE mode and that is not where you want to be

When you've done that stop following build advice from arstechnica . They didnt even include a psu of AMD's the recommended wattage for the 7870

Isparkes

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I tried removing all hdd/odd connections.

It got further stopped at step AE this time which not surprising as there were no disks.

If I reconnect even the ssd, I'm back to step A0 again. But I'm typing on the system now using internal graphics.

Are there any setting in UEFI I need to set for VC to work ?

Isparkes

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I'm going to tear it down and put 650ti back in old pc with the ssd and try again with a minimal system.

A couple of thoughts I had that I was hoping somebody might understand more on

Could this be related to UEFI ?
Should the integrated DVI port be live on boot ?

That both the DVI outputs are having issues is pointing to this being a MB issue to me, I might punt and go to the MB listed in the HoT Rod spcs as the default. It's a ;ittle more expensive but maybe it's stable