Sign in with
Your question

Mirror network drive over Internet

Last response: in Networking
January 20, 2012 9:24:21 AM

Hi

This is the situation, I want to map and mirror a Netgear Stora network drive from a office to a home server that has XP 64-Bit installed on it. Is it possible to do this without there being a server/computer at the office side, so basically the server at home connects straight to the network drive in the office without the need of a intermediary device. Well I know it still has to go through the router obviously at the office side but I just want it to be able to copy the data off the network drive without the need of a online computer in the office. I've been looking into using a VPN to set this up but this apparently still needs a server to connect to at the other end before it can connect to the network drive.

So is it possible for me to do this without the need of the server at the office end and if it is what 3rd party software would be able to do this or is there some manual set up needed?

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated. ;) 
January 21, 2012 7:50:27 AM

Jantech said:
If you can connect to the NAS through a VPN, you can use a sync program to sync your home server and the NAS.
I have used Cobian to accomplish something like this in the last.
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

But how do you connect to a NAS drive over the internet using a VPN without there being a server at the office end?

Thanks for the link btw, I have been looking for decent mirroring programs.
January 21, 2012 11:08:20 AM

A NAS drive by it's very nature is a server, so you can think of it as a file server.
What type of VPN are you using?
Normally when you connect to a VPN you have all the resources of the VPN network available to you. You should be able to simply use the NAS drive IP address and connect to it just as if you were physically on the network.
Related resources
!