Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Optiplex 380
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz 3.20GHz
RAM: 2.00
System Type: 32-bit OS
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

There is a gray box appearing at the top of the desktop over top of the desktop icons. It is about 2" x 3", solid gray, with nothing on it (no text or buttons). It doesn't appear when windows first starts, and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the computer. Please any assistance you can give would be very helpful. This is happening on every computer in the office.

Demonzero0

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Any luck on this? I have the same exact problem. This computer is brand new (literally less than 24 hours old) and so there is no way that it is malware or spyware. The window is unclickable and has no borders and stays in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Also when you ALT+TAB you can see it as an option. It seems to only appear after I save an image off of the browser (I use Chrome).

Bill_in_PEI

Honorable
May 22, 2012

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well I don't know [yet] what causes the box to appear but it's very easy to dismiss it. Just left click on the very small icon that sits at the very bottom right hand corner of your display (i.e. next to the clock). It is NOT malware, it's just another Microsoft "feature" ;)
Bill

Uncle Freak

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Yo guys, I had the same problem ... here is the solution!

Closing running proggram vprot.exe.... this helped me!

Vprotection is a part of AVG Safe Search Toolbar; some malwares will miscarry as vprot.exe.

I hope this help you 2. Have a nice day!