Nikon D50 vs D70 (Not D70s)

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 7, 2005 8:06:04 AM

Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the D50 or
the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
range).

Thanks, rw

Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and appreciate
everyone's respone.

More about : nikon d50 d70 d70s

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:48:22 AM

I had to make that choice and opted for the D70. Important to me
is the fact that the D70 is a more durable camera, and many of the
more important D70s enhancements are available to the D70 through
an easy firmware upgrade. I know several people who have taken
literally thousands of images with their D70 without a problem. I
like the dual command wheels, and I like CF cards better than SD
cards. In fact I'm thankful for the D70s, or the D70 would still
be $900 and I would have HAD to get the D50. :-)

"rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1126091164.768992.92750
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the
D50 or
> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
> range).
>
> Thanks, rw
>
> Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and
appreciate
> everyone's respone.

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:48:23 AM

You made the obvious right choice.....

PC

On 9/7/05 2:48 PM, in article Xns96CAB51BC304Bmregpanixcom@166.84.1.69,
"Mitchell Regenbogen" wrote:

> I had to make that choice and opted for the D70. Important to me
> is the fact that the D70 is a more durable camera, and many of the
> more important D70s enhancements are available to the D70 through
> an easy firmware upgrade. I know several people who have taken
> literally thousands of images with their D70 without a problem. I
> like the dual command wheels, and I like CF cards better than SD
> cards. In fact I'm thankful for the D70s, or the D70 would still
> be $900 and I would have HAD to get the D50. :-)
>
> "rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1126091164.768992.92750
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the
> D50 or
>> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
>> range).
>>
>> Thanks, rw
>>
>> Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and
> appreciate
>> everyone's respone.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:32:46 AM

"rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the D50 or
>the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
>range).

Then you have only one choice to make. Buy the D50.

;-)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:32:47 AM

On 9/7/05 3:32 PM, in article kjquh15g56m8h5nsarls0082c4badp2m9g@4ax.com,
"Tony Polson" wrote:

> "rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the D50 or
>> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
>> range).
>

> Then you have only one choice to make. Buy the D50.
>
> ;-)

Obvious wrong choice....:)

PC
September 8, 2005 3:49:27 AM

I bought the D70 & it's a very good camera quite robust. If I was you I'd
pay that extra & get the D70 or D70S.

Bruce
"rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the D50 or
> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
> range).
>
> Thanks, rw
>
> Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and appreciate
> everyone's respone.

September 8, 2005 3:49:28 AM

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:49:27 GMT, "Bruce"
<brucefalcon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I bought the D70 & it's a very good camera quite robust. If I was you I'd
>pay that extra & get the D70 or D70S.

The D50 has less high ISO noise.
-Rich
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:49:29 AM

On 9/7/05 6:24 PM, in article kl4vh1pjufufgaeome8iofgocq7vll4tfb@4ax.com,
"Rich" wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:49:27 GMT, "Bruce"
> <brucefalcon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I bought the D70 & it's a very good camera quite robust. If I was you I'd
>> pay that extra & get the D70 or D70S.
>
> The D50 has less high ISO noise.

Irrelevant....

Bruce was right......

PC
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:04:06 PM

Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On 9/7/05 3:32 PM, in article kjquh15g56m8h5nsarls0082c4badp2m9g@4ax.com,
>"Tony Polson" wrote:
>
>> "rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the D50 or
>>> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
>>> range).
>>

>> Then you have only one choice to make. Buy the D50.
>>
>> ;-)
>
>Obvious wrong choice....:)

If the OP is choosing between the D50 and D70s, and cannot afford the
D70s, the D50 is the only choice.

While the D50 may be the only choice for the OP, the 18-70mm Nikkor is
an excellent lens but it seems only to be available with the D70(s).
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:04:07 PM

On 9/8/05 5:04 AM, in article j0a0i1544sgrkg6s10q6noattt9ofjqd6n@4ax.com,
"Tony Polson" wrote:

> Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>> On 9/7/05 3:32 PM, in article kjquh15g56m8h5nsarls0082c4badp2m9g@4ax.com,

>>> Then you have only one choice to make. Buy the D50.
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>
>> Obvious wrong choice....:)
>

> If the OP is choosing between the D50 and D70s, and cannot afford the
> D70s, the D50 is the only choice.

Nonsense - the difference in price isn't significant. The difference in
function is significant.....on comparison, though, it's a matter of personal
preference more than one of "cost".

The "cost" difference between the discounted D70 and the D50 is only a
hundred bucks or so.....! For another hundred bucks you can get a D70s. The
cost argument is bogus. If you can't afford the now discounted D70, you
can't afford the D50 either.....or any other quality DSLR for that
matter....!

> While the D50 may be the only choice for the OP, the 18-70mm Nikkor is
> an excellent lens but it seems only to be available with the D70(s).

Also nonsense - the 18-70mm lens as well as all other Nikkor DX, G or D
series lenses are widely available anywhere and even discounted, including
large numbers being sold "new" in box on eBay, never mind any reputable
camera store/chain....online or in person.....!

PC
September 8, 2005 5:44:57 PM

In article <1126091164.768992.92750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
weiss_ryan@yahoo.com says...

> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the D50 or
> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
> range).
>
> Thanks, rw
>
> Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and appreciate
> everyone's respone.

Depends on what you want to do with it, I suppose.

I haven't really investigated the D50 at all, simply because I already
have a D70 and as a digital camera I think it is damn fine. I don't use
it a hell of a lot, preferring to shoot with a film camera, but it comes
in very handy for most things and has specs that are most likely to be
found in a professional level body.

The only thing about the D70 that makes it fall short of being perfect
(IMO) is the 1.5x crop and the fact that you can't use the camera's
meter when using older MF lenses.

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za

Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Also nonsense - the 18-70mm lens as well as all other Nikkor DX, G or D
>series lenses are widely available anywhere and even discounted, including
>large numbers being sold "new" in box on eBay, never mind any reputable
>camera store/chain....online or in person.....!

It isn't nonsense.

The 18-70mm is not available bundled with the D50 in most world
markets. Yes, it is available separately, but only at an additional
cost. That makes the total of price of the D50 and the 18-70mm almost
as expensive as the price of the D70s kit with the bundled 18-70mm.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:04:50 PM

On 9/8/05 8:04 AM, in article ugk0i1l1bppj6efbjjoe0eumkm8opo8t9a@4ax.com,
"Tony Polson" wrote:

> Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Also nonsense - the 18-70mm lens as well as all other Nikkor DX, G or D
>> series lenses are widely available anywhere and even discounted, including
>> large numbers being sold "new" in box on eBay, never mind any reputable
>> camera store/chain....online or in person.....!
>

> It isn't nonsense.
>
> The 18-70mm is not available bundled with the D50 in most world
> markets. Yes, it is available separately, but only at an additional
> cost. That makes the total of price of the D50 and the 18-70mm almost
> as expensive as the price of the D70s kit with the bundled 18-70mm.

Nonsense it was and nonsense it remains......

What you don't want to deal with is the fact that the D50 as
presented/bundled makes no sense when you can get a D70 with the 18-70mm DX
lens for a few bucks more. Your contention of a serious price differential
doesn't hold water...never did in the real world. A perusal of camera chains
that sell online shows that the difference between and D50 body and
comparable D70 body with rebate is about 100 bucks. Prices lens for lens
shows zero difference, i.e., total cost between comparably configured D50 or
D70 cameras is a hundred bucks. Furthermore, a comparable D70s costs only a
bit more than 200 bucks more. Not worth all the bandwidth wasted on a bogus
argument......

There was no real "choice" to be made and that remains the salient point. I
see no reason for anyone to buy a D50 other than their decision that they
PREFER that model over a D70 or D70s. That's why the two different models
exist - the cost difference isn't significant....

If you like the D50 - buy it. If you like the D70 - buy it. They are both
excellent cameras that will produce excellent results....!

PC
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:07:46 PM

Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Nonsense - the difference in price isn't significant. The difference in
>function is significant.....on comparison, though, it's a matter of personal
>preference more than one of "cost".
>
>The "cost" difference between the discounted D70 and the D50 is only a
>hundred bucks or so.....! For another hundred bucks you can get a D70s.

So the price difference is between the D50 and D70s is $200. If the
original poster cannot afford that $200, then he has no option but to
buy the D50. I am surprised you cannot see that.

And if the original poster has no need for the extra features of the
D70s, what possible justification is there for spending another $200?

(Don't bother answering - it was a rhetorical question)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:07:47 PM

On 9/8/05 8:07 AM, in article vpk0i1pgida5t9t955kcvtlff8hkqmiljs@4ax.com,
"Tony Polson" wrote:

> Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>> Nonsense - the difference in price isn't significant. The difference in
>> function is significant.....on comparison, though, it's a matter of personal
>> preference more than one of "cost".
>>
>> The "cost" difference between the discounted D70 and the D50 is only a
>> hundred bucks or so.....! For another hundred bucks you can get a D70s.
>

> So the price difference is between the D50 and D70s is $200. If the
> original poster cannot afford that $200, then he has no option but to
> buy the D50. I am surprised you cannot see that.

If you can't afford one you can't afford the other either - the cost
difference isn't significant....I'm surprised you can't see that!

Anyone who can "afford" 900 bucks for a camera can "afford" 1000 or 1100
bucks - let's deal with reality here for a change.....!

> And if the original poster has no need for the extra features of the
> D70s, what possible justification is there for spending another $200?
>
> (Don't bother answering - it was a rhetorical question)

It was a dumb question, not a rhetorical one.....:)

The "justification" is for "different" features, not necessarily "extra"
features. There are a couple of features in the D50 that I wish were to be
found in my D70s. On balance, the cameras ARE slightly different - that's
where personal preference comes into play.

PC
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 8:52:00 PM

Proconsul <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>What you don't want to deal with is the fact that the D50 as
>presented/bundled makes no sense

To you, maybe. But very little seems to make any sense to you, so
welcome to my kill file.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 10:13:24 PM

According to DD (Rox) <roxy@empirerods.com>:

[ ... D50 vs D70 vs D70s snipped ... ]

> The only thing about the D70 that makes it fall short of being perfect
> (IMO) is the 1.5x crop and the fact that you can't use the camera's
> meter when using older MF lenses.

Hmm ... an additional caveat needs to be added to that last one,
as I *am* using a nice 180mm f2.8 manual focus lens with the D70's
metering. However -- it had to be converted (have a "chip" added), and
the fellow who does that will only convert certain lenses -- partially
because Nikon offers no equivalent aperture lens with chips (as the
chips come from Nikon), and partially because some lenses offer
insufficient room for the chip.

This is unfortunate, as I have several lenses which I would like
to have chips added to which are not on his current list.

The only minor niggle about the 180mm f2.8 is that it tells the
camera that it is a 300mm f2.8 instead. Not reallly a problem as long
as I don't have a real 300mm chipped lens anyway, so confusion is
eliminated. Now -- it *might* cause some minor problems with flash, but
I tend not to use flash with things far enough away so the 300mm is the
proper choice anyway. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

September 8, 2005 11:29:06 PM

Tony Polson <tp@nospam.co.uk> writes:

> If the OP is choosing between the D50 and D70s, and cannot afford the
> D70s, the D50 is the only choice.

Lets have another look at the subject shall we?

Subject: Re: Nikon D50 vs D70 (Not D70s)

Gardner Buchanan <gbuchana@rogers.com>
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 2:46:42 AM

"rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the D50 or
> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
> range).
>
> Thanks, rw
>
> Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and appreciate
> everyone's respone.

The D70 has been around for awhile and has proven itself to be real
workhorse. Also, you can upgrade the BIOS to match the new D70s, although
you can't make the rear LCD bigger. The D70 and kit lens is a great combo,
as the lens is great and gets good reviews. And the larger CF memory cards
are bulletproof.

I've heard the D50 has been tweaked to give the user more of a snappy point
and shoot image, but it would be impossible to go wrong with the D70,
especially if you already have any Nikon lenses. Pretty much every AI lens
and up will work, you just can't use all the cameras functions or meter.

The D70 also has a rear and front mounted control wheel, which a lot of
people like. The D50 only has one wheel.

All that said, the images from both cameras, given the same lenses, should
be equal or damn close.
September 9, 2005 11:23:32 AM

In article <dfpv04095@news4.newsguy.com>, dnichols@d-and-d.com says...
> According to DD (Rox) <roxy@empirerods.com>:
>
> [ ... D50 vs D70 vs D70s snipped ... ]
>
> > The only thing about the D70 that makes it fall short of being perfect
> > (IMO) is the 1.5x crop and the fact that you can't use the camera's
> > meter when using older MF lenses.
>
> Hmm ... an additional caveat needs to be added to that last one,
> as I *am* using a nice 180mm f2.8 manual focus lens with the D70's
> metering. However -- it had to be converted (have a "chip" added), and
> the fellow who does that will only convert certain lenses -- partially
> because Nikon offers no equivalent aperture lens with chips (as the
> chips come from Nikon), and partially because some lenses offer
> insufficient room for the chip.
>
> This is unfortunate, as I have several lenses which I would like
> to have chips added to which are not on his current list.
>
> The only minor niggle about the 180mm f2.8 is that it tells the
> camera that it is a 300mm f2.8 instead. Not reallly a problem as long
> as I don't have a real 300mm chipped lens anyway, so confusion is
> eliminated. Now -- it *might* cause some minor problems with flash, but
> I tend not to use flash with things far enough away so the 300mm is the
> proper choice anyway. :-)

I remember seeing that guys website. He seems to come across as rather
arrogant.

Anyway, lenses I would love to use on my D70 are the 105mm f/2.5, 24mm
f/2.8 and the E-Series 75-150 (which I am looking to win on eBay). I
also see loads of other bargains like the 200mm f/2 going for a song.

Then there is also the option of getting a D2h or D1x instead.

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za

According to DD (Rox) <roxy@empirerods.com>:
> In article <dfpv04095@news4.newsguy.com>, dnichols@d-and-d.com says...

[ ... ]

> > Hmm ... an additional caveat needs to be added to that last one,
> > as I *am* using a nice 180mm f2.8 manual focus lens with the D70's
> > metering. However -- it had to be converted (have a "chip" added), and
> > the fellow who does that will only convert certain lenses -- partially
> > because Nikon offers no equivalent aperture lens with chips (as the
> > chips come from Nikon), and partially because some lenses offer
> > insufficient room for the chip.

[ ... ]

> I remember seeing that guys website. He seems to come across as rather
> arrogant.

Well ... yes -- but he is the only one who offered this service.
(I say "offered", because his website appears to have eliminated the
lens conversion part.)

He also *uses* the lenses, and mentioned that lenses not sent to
him for conversion would result in more time for his photography.
Obviously, he was not doing this because he needed the money, but rather
as a service to others.

> Anyway, lenses I would love to use on my D70 are the 105mm f/2.5, 24mm
> f/2.8 and the E-Series 75-150 (which I am looking to win on eBay). I
> also see loads of other bargains like the 200mm f/2 going for a song.

I went to check which of those he might do -- and this is when I
discovered that the lens conversion part of his website has vanished.
It is even shown in the sidebar of his main web page, but it is no
longer an active link.

Maybe, he is just updating the page.

> Then there is also the option of getting a D2h or D1x instead.

Indeed. I am quite tempted -- but that is a lot of money at
present.

Enjoy,
DoN.
September 10, 2005 7:22:21 PM

My 3 months old Pentax *ist DS just clicked 6000 images.

"Mitchell Regenbogen" <mreg@panix.spam.com> wrote in message
>I had to make that choice and opted for the D70. Important to me
> is the fact that the D70 is a more durable camera, and many of the
> more important D70s enhancements are available to the D70 through
> an easy firmware upgrade. I know several people who have taken
> literally thousands of images with their D70 without a problem. I
> like the dual command wheels, and I like CF cards better than SD
> cards. In fact I'm thankful for the D70s, or the D70 would still
> be $900 and I would have HAD to get the D50. :-)
>
> "rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1126091164.768992.92750
> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the
> D50 or
>> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my price
>> range).
>>
>> Thanks, rw
>>
>> Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and
> appreciate
>> everyone's respone.

Anonymous
September 11, 2005 9:12:56 PM

And that has WHAT to do with this discussion?

"TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> wrote in news:o fSdnSzrP__tr77eRVn-
qg@adelphia.com:

> My 3 months old Pentax *ist DS just clicked 6000 images.
>
> "Mitchell Regenbogen" <mreg@panix.spam.com> wrote in message
>>I had to make that choice and opted for the D70. Important to me
>> is the fact that the D70 is a more durable camera, and many of
the
>> more important D70s enhancements are available to the D70
through
>> an easy firmware upgrade. I know several people who have taken
>> literally thousands of images with their D70 without a problem.
>> like the dual command wheels, and I like CF cards better than SD
>> cards. In fact I'm thankful for the D70s, or the D70 would
still
>> be $900 and I would have HAD to get the D50. :-)
>>
>> "rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>>

>>> Was hoping to get some opinions on making a choice between the
>> D50 or
>>> the D70 (at it's current price the D70s is likely out of my
price
>>> range).
>>>
>>> Thanks, rw
>>>
>>> Note: I had a earlier post around the D50 price drop and
>> appreciate
>>> everyone's respone.

September 13, 2005 1:19:51 AM

I was refering to the statement below

"I know several people who have taken literally thousands of images with
their D70 without a problem."

This statement seems to suggest that some cameras may have problems.

> And that has WHAT to do with this discussion?
>
> "TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> wrote in news:o fSdnSzrP__tr77eRVn-
> qg@adelphia.com:
>
>> My 3 months old Pentax *ist DS just clicked 6000 images.
>>
>> "Mitchell Regenbogen" <mreg@panix.spam.com> wrote in message
>>>I had to make that choice and opted for the D70. Important to me
>>> is the fact that the D70 is a more durable camera, and many of
> the
>>> more important D70s enhancements are available to the D70
> through
>>> an easy firmware upgrade. I know several people who have taken
>>> literally thousands of images with their D70 without a problem.
>>> like the dual command wheels, and I like CF cards better than SD
>>> cards. In fact I'm thankful for the D70s, or the D70 would
> still
>>> be $900 and I would have HAD to get the D50. :-)
>>>
>>> "rw" <weiss_ryan@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

>>> D50 or
> price

>>> appreciate

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:10:38 AM

According to TW <hong236@adelphia.net>:
> I was refering to the statement below
>
> "I know several people who have taken literally thousands of images with
> their D70 without a problem."
>
> This statement seems to suggest that some cameras may have problems.

It sounds to me more like a statement made by someone with either
scientific or engineering training instead of a marketing type. "Always
qualify your statements, allowing for the possibility that there may be
cases which you have not yet heard about."

I can state simply that my D70 has so far taken 5987 images (as
of the last batch downloaded to the computer where I can run "exiftool"
on them). Add another 11 still in the camera for a total of 5998 shots.

And -- I have not heard of other D70 cameras* with early failure
problems. But -- I don't *know* that they don't exist. I would think
that there would have been a lot posted here about them if some such
problem does exist.

*"D70 cameras" does sound a bit more cumbersome than simply
"D70s", but since there is now a model with that name, I'm forced into
the longer phrase. I guess that I could use "D70"s to cover it -- but
why worry?

Enjoy,
DoN.
September 13, 2005 3:20:13 PM

"TW" <hong236@adelphia.net> wrote in news:o 4WdnTmRRfHetLveRVn-
uw@adelphia.com:

> I was refering to the statement below
>
> "I know several people who have taken literally thousands of images
with
> their D70 without a problem."
>
> This statement seems to suggest that some cameras may have
problems.

Only if you didn't read the rest of the paragraph, which was
comparing the D50 to the D70. My only point, which you missed even
though it was very simple, was that the D70 is a proven machine, and
the D50 is new.
!