New PC build, no display. Tried almost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeonsandwich

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Alright, I made I thread about this yesterday and I thought I found the problem. Turns out that isn't the case. I had my motherboard mounted incorrectly, which have now fixed but my problem still persists.

The problem is that whenever I turn on my newly-built PC (first build, btw) everything powers up fine, but my monitor doesn't detect my PC and remains in power saving mode. All my fans are spinning and everything "appears" to be going ok on the inside.

So far I have tried;
-using a different monitor (both of these monitors are functioning)
-using 3 different display cables with both monitors (DVI, HDMI and AVG with DVI dongle)
-using a different graphics card
-testing both PCI slots
-using two different types of ram (corsair and kingston)
-using one card of ram
-trying all ram slots
-remounting the motherboard
-checking all plugs and connections
-removing the motherboard's battery for 3 minutes

None of these have worked. I'm pretty sure my PSU is okay as everything seems to be getting power. So I'm assuming somethings wrong with my motherboard or cpu.

two things worth noting are
-I did power on my PC when the motherboard was touching the inside of my case. This may have caused some damage, but I didn't hear, see or smell any cracks, sparks or burning smells.
-there is a lot of pressure on my CPU. the stock fan is a VERY tight fit and it required a lot of force in order to fit the tabs on

If ANYONE has ANY solutions or ideas at all they'd be GREATLY appreciated. I've been going at this non-stop for 3 days now and am really annoyed, and worried I won't ever get this working. :(

Solution
as you did not list your pc spec here. i do some off the elbow help. first take out all the ram but one dimm and the video card. connect your monitor to the onboard video if the mb has it. before you rip your system apart check to see if the mb will post with your cpu in it and with the bios on the mb. some older mb h/x6x mb need a bios update to post with an ib cpu. check the mb qal list for cpu and bios rev needed. if your lucky if you have one of the newer asus mb with the usb flash back port you can flash the mb from a usb stick if needed. (asus mb bios rev are the last numbers on ser# label). on some mb there are debug led or dr debug..see if it tossing a code at you. one other place a mb will short out is the i\o shield. it can if...
as you did not list your pc spec here. i do some off the elbow help. first take out all the ram but one dimm and the video card. connect your monitor to the onboard video if the mb has it. before you rip your system apart check to see if the mb will post with your cpu in it and with the bios on the mb. some older mb h/x6x mb need a bios update to post with an ib cpu. check the mb qal list for cpu and bios rev needed. if your lucky if you have one of the newer asus mb with the usb flash back port you can flash the mb from a usb stick if needed. (asus mb bios rev are the last numbers on ser# label). on some mb there are debug led or dr debug..see if it tossing a code at you. one other place a mb will short out is the i\o shield. it can if it has long fingers faill into the usb ports or short the bottom of the mb out. the other place to look is see if you have the mb header pins on wrong. you could have shorted the mb reset pins and the mb is stuck in reset mode.

Solution

pigeonsandwich

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Hello thanks for the reply. Sorry I forgot to list my specs, I have an AsRock 970 extreme 3 motherboard, vga radeon HD 7950, coolermaster extreme 2 625W, two sticks of 4GB corsair ram and an AMD FX-8120 cpu.

This is my first build and there's a few things you said that I do not understand. How to I take out all of my RAM except for one dimm? And how to I update the BIOS for my motherboard when I can't see anything on my monitor?

pigeonsandwich

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

The 8-pin power cable is insterted.
I can't find the bios sticker, what does it look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS