Sign in with
Your question

New gpu, bad performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2012 11:39:30 AM

I recently bought a new radeon hd 7950 and i'm not getting the fps that i really want, and the card should do way better.

My setup:

SapphireRadeon hd 7950 vapor-x
Amd phenom ii x6 1090t OC to 4ghz.
Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
8gb ddr3 ram
Corsair GS700

Is it possible that my cpu is bottlnecking my gpu in the performance ? or is it possible that the gpu is defect that it's delivering less performance?

Thanks already for all your help

-redbadboy

More about : gpu bad performance

a c 185 U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 11:44:58 AM

What is your CPU usage during lag?
Could you open task manager, press Show processes from all users, maximize the window, sort it by user name, take screenshot and upload it? Maybe... you've got some extra processes running in the background which are crippling your performance.
December 16, 2012 12:04:00 PM

I did a clean install of windows, and i don't have any other background programs running. I tested (league of legends, skyrim and far cry 3) And all of these games don't deliver the performance that the GPU should. On league of legends i sometimes get 30fps which is incredibly low for that sort of a game and skyrim it drops to 30 fps also and farcry its around 38fps..
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 12:38:44 PM

Well, LoL is an MMO, so it's normal to have frame drops when a lot of players are present. Far Cry 3 requires an i7-2700k to run smoothly on ultra settings, which is a bit above what you have there. And finally, Skyrim can be a killer if you have mods installed, even if you are packing a 3970X. All of those problems come from the CPU though. It's still a pretty good CPU but... perhaps it's time for an upgrade?
December 16, 2012 12:50:23 PM

auntarie said:
Well, LoL is an MMO, so it's normal to have frame drops when a lot of players are present. Far Cry 3 requires an i7-2700k to run smoothly on ultra settings, which is a bit above what you have there. And finally, Skyrim can be a killer if you have mods installed, even if you are packing a 3970X. All of those problems come from the CPU though. It's still a pretty good CPU but... perhaps it's time for an upgrade?

Thanks for your reply!

If i'm getting an amd fx 8120 or 8350 would the fps greatly increase? And u don't think the gpu is defect or something..? but on skyrim i don't have any mods installed i'm running just on ultra.
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 12:58:04 PM

auntarie said:

LoL is not an MMO... it's a 5v5 MOBA game with 10 player controlled characters and few dozen NPC creeps. It also has very low system requirements to run at 60 FPS.
December 16, 2012 12:59:21 PM

Soda-88 said:
LoL is not an MMO... it's a 5v5 MOBA game with 10 player controlled characters and few dozen NPC creeps. It also has very low system requirements to run at 60 FPS.

u know how i'm getting sometimes a drop to around 30fps ;p? can it be the gpu?
December 16, 2012 2:16:59 PM

Cpu may be bottlenecking your gpu. Farcry is the new vide card destoyer, look at toms benchmarks for farcry3. With Skyrim you should get good fps but if you got bottleneck then it will bad fps.
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2012 2:23:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

If i'm getting an amd fx 8120 or 8350 would the fps greatly increase? And u don't think the gpu is defect or something..? but on skyrim i don't have any mods installed i'm running just on ultra.

Yes, those processors are awesome. Well, for AMD at least. Skyrim is really CPU intensive so running it on ultra may give you frame drops no matter that you are over the requirements. I'm running it on only high on my Q9300.
December 16, 2012 2:37:28 PM

auntarie said:
Quote:
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, those processors are awesome. Well, for AMD at least. Skyrim is really CPU intensive so running it on ultra may give you frame drops no matter that you are over the requirements. I'm running it on only high on my Q9300.

Good to hear! maby i'm planning on buying amd fx 8350 if it's really giving me better performance, also i heard that it a good occpu.
December 16, 2012 6:14:07 PM

redbadboy said:
Good to hear! maby i'm planning on buying amd fx 8350 if it's really giving me better performance, also i heard that it a good occpu.

I use the Fx 8350 with my 3 monitor setup and it does me justice. It helped unleash the full potential of my SLI.

Farcry 3 on the other hand.....is tough on systems atm. I first tested it with everything maxed at 6090 x1080(bezel corrected) and got like 30-35fps.

I dropped some of the eye candy and took off any AA. It runs smooth at 55-65 fps now and still looks pretty good.
December 16, 2012 6:49:46 PM

chase3567 said:
I use the Fx 8350 with my 3 monitor setup and it does me justice. It helped unleash the full potential of my SLI.

Farcry 3 on the other hand.....is tough on systems atm. I first tested it with everything maxed at 6090 x1080(bezel corrected) and got like 30-35fps.

I dropped some of the eye candy and took off any AA. It runs smooth at 55-65 fps now and still looks pretty good.

Good to hear! By the way what GPU do u have?
December 16, 2012 6:59:06 PM

redbadboy said:
Good to hear! By the way what GPU do u have?

2gb evga OC 560 x2 Sli
!