Im looking to upgrade

Hello, I currently have an AMD 965 BE OC'd to 4.0ghz with an HD 6870 gpu. I have a cheapo motherboard and 6 gigs of DDr2 800mhz ram.

I'm looking to upgrade to an i5 3570k with a new mobo and ram, will i see a significant Fps increase in most games? I play mostly Cpu bound games like WOW and RIFT or Gw2 just any mmorpg basically.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. Short answer - YES
  2. I'm not sure tbh. I have a similar setup to you, and I've noticed that even in WoW my 6870 is at maximum usage where the CPU is only running at 70-80%. And that's only @ 3.8ghz.

You've got yours to 4.0, you shouldn't have any CPU issues.

Before you decide to upgrade CPU, open the game and check your GPU usage on it, then check your CPU usage. If your GPU is maxed out then you know its the GPU.
  3. BuddiLuva, what would be the best way for me to monitor my usages? Should i play in windowed ? Im pretty sure if i play windowed that would affect something and i'd like to monitor playing full screen. I have Gpu-z that can run in the background but i mean mainly for my cpu usage. Thanks
  4. BuddiLuva said:
    I'm not sure tbh. I have a similar setup to you, and I've noticed that even in WoW my 6870 is at maximum usage where the CPU is only running at 70-80%. And that's only @ 3.8ghz.

You've got yours to 4.0, you shouldn't have any CPU issues.

Before you decide to upgrade CPU, open the game and check your GPU usage on it, then check your CPU usage. If your GPU is maxed out then you know its the GPU.

Ok i did a quick test, im playing WOW at 1360x768 on high preset with 8x multisampling on from the in game options. While flying around in an open area with no players my cpu goes anywhere from 70%-100% Usage and my GPU is at about 70% usage.

When i go into Orgrimmar my cpu usage is still about 70% and the Gpu is only at about 39% usage. I will keep monitoring but im still trying to find the best way to monitor while i play. Im currently using Hwinfo64
  5. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems