Sign in with
Your question

High CPU usage when GT 520 is installed plz help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2012 1:08:17 PM

Hi everyone, im really stressed up right now so i need help from the community.

I've recently bought a Palit GT 520 1GB ddr3 graphic card so that i can accelerate windows 7 overall and play some games that require a gpu.
As soon as i installed the gt 520, my cpu usage ( seen in task manager) jumps to 40% and remains at 40% and fluctuate at times.
My pc is lagging in every way possible... ive had a fresh install of windows 7 (remains the same) so it is not because of viruses.

also i noticed when an application starts, it's causing 100% cpu usage!! when i play ghost recon advance war 2 for instance, i can play on high to low settings, the fps remains almost same..but i know theres something weird going on my pc so that performance is not optimal.

also something i noticed normally my cpu scores 5.9 over 7.9 on windows score ..now it is only 3.0 !! wtf ??

can someone help me please, i'll be very grateful if you help me resolve the problem.
my pc rig is listed below::
model: acer 261
cpu: core 2 duo e4700 @ 2.6hz
ram: 3gb ddr2
mainboard: dnt knw its acer i think
there was an integrated sis mirage 3 onboard
ive done a checkup with my rig recently so theres nothing wrong with the cpu or something else. ( i hope so)
and i disabled the sis mirage 3 also.
im not expecting great fps on gt 520 of course but...theres is a problem out there!!

i've given all details now please help me to resolve it!! its been 5 months im stressed up with it!! H.E.L.P ! ! thx in advance
a c 75 U Graphics card
a c 88 à CPUs
December 16, 2012 1:21:12 PM

Have you installed the latest driver for the graphics card?
December 16, 2012 1:32:28 PM

yeah of course..im on driver 306.97 right now. In the resource monitor( in task manager) theres something called system interrupts that using a lot of cpu 40%
dnt knw wht it is it says deferred interrupts calls and procedure routines..really weird!! do u have an idea what it is???? thnx for ur reply
Related resources
December 16, 2012 1:44:14 PM

Just because you put a fresh install of windows 7 on, wouldnt mean you are virus free. Are there any other computers on your network? Have you tried doing a virus/malware scan, remotely, on all computers within your network? IE a self booting environment (CD, HD, USB Drive) with its own virus software.

Also, did you give anything a higher or lower precedence? Im guessing not, but that would also cause this. Lastly though, would be a driver. Have you tried simply doing a uninstall of all the nvidia software/drivers from your PC? Your resolution might suck, but it would tell you for sure if its the driver.
December 16, 2012 2:19:31 PM

Munter78 said:
Just because you put a fresh install of windows 7 on, wouldnt mean you are virus free. Are there any other computers on your network? Have you tried doing a virus/malware scan, remotely, on all computers within your network? IE a self booting environment (CD, HD, USB Drive) with its own virus software.

Also, did you give anything a higher or lower precedence? Im guessing not, but that would also cause this. Lastly though, would be a driver. Have you tried simply doing a uninstall of all the nvidia software/drivers from your PC? Your resolution might suck, but it would tell you for sure if its the driver.

the thing is i installed my gt 520 on another pc its working fine ( 0-2% cpu) but when i install it in mine...bump..it goes to 40% instantly...
also the integrated sis mirage 3 was working fine...(no virus) windows score for my cpu was 5.9!!!! does nvidia uses my cpu even at idle state????
December 16, 2012 3:00:48 PM

If you are getting deferred interrupt calls, it can easily be caused by a driver. Id suggest looking at the following two links to understand what a DPC is. Will shed some light into for you. If you are fully convinced your OS is clean of virii/malware then a driver would be the next logical step assuming you arent messing around with priority levels of any type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Procedure_Call

http://www.ehow.com/info_12036290_deferred-procedure-ca...

Are you using manufacturer based drivers, or ones windows 7 assigned to your hardware upon install? Keep in mind, this doesn't have to focus around your video card. Could be alot of other pieces of hardware. Nothing out of the ordinary in your device manager?

December 16, 2012 3:33:59 PM

Munter78 said:
If you are getting deferred interrupt calls, it can easily be caused by a driver. Id suggest looking at the following two links to understand what a DPC is. Will shed some light into for you. If you are fully convinced your OS is clean of virii/malware then a driver would be the next logical step assuming you arent messing around with priority levels of any type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Procedure_Call

http://www.ehow.com/info_12036290_deferred-procedure-ca...

Are you using manufacturer based drivers, or ones windows 7 assigned to your hardware upon install? Keep in mind, this doesn't have to focus around your video card. Could be alot of other pieces of hardware. Nothing out of the ordinary in your device manager?

very interesting links. thx
but the problem wont be solved by just having a general knowledge of it
what ive learnt is:
Deferred_Procedure_Call --> high-priority tasks lower-priority tasks for later execution. thats good to know.
but my pc is lagging a lot because of it almost 40% is being used up.
Please provide me with a FIX or a program to fix it. i can use regedit or cmd or something like that to fix it??

and yes, im using windows 7 provided drivers. when i scan with a driver scanner , all my drivers are up to date.
how i am supposed to fix this intermitent problem??

December 16, 2012 3:40:57 PM

note: all ur suggestions will be taken into consideration so dont hesitate to post ur suggestions or ideas to FIX it!!
has anyone encountered such problem in the past ? do you guys think it is because of hardware or sofware??
!