Corrupted graphics on games

Hi,

Looking at a problem for a friend of mine the last day - he had Tiger Woods
golf working ok for some time but now, for the last few weeks, when he plays
it the graphics get messed up - looks like sections of the graphics go
missing and layers get mixed up.

Its Windows XP Home XP2... and an ATI graphics card. I downloaded the latest
version of the drivers but didnt make a difference.

Any pointers to where I should start looking...

Thanks

Donal

Hi Donal,

Try reinstalling the game in case the original files have become
corrupt somehow during normal use.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Donal McWeeney" <macker@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message news:u$9IQ8rEFHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Looking at a problem for a friend of mine the last day - he had Tiger Woods golf working ok for some time but now, for the last
> few weeks, when he plays it the graphics get messed up - looks like sections of the graphics go missing and layers get mixed up.
>
> Its Windows XP Home XP2... and an ATI graphics card. I downloaded the latest version of the drivers but didnt make a difference.
>
> Any pointers to where I should start looking...
>
> Thanks
>
> Donal

"Donal McWeeney" <macker@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> Looking at a problem for a friend of mine the last day - he had Tiger
> Woods golf working ok for some time but now, for the last few weeks, when
> he plays it the graphics get messed up - looks like sections of the
> graphics go missing and layers get mixed up.
>
> Its Windows XP Home XP2... and an ATI graphics card. I downloaded the
> latest version of the drivers but didnt make a difference.
>
> Any pointers to where I should start looking...

To take a different direction then Jimmy, if re-installing doesn't help.

Does he have any other heavyish 3D games? Do they show any problems?
Overheating RAM on a graphics card can cause all sorts of weird artefacts
and things.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

> Does he have any other heavyish 3D games? Do they show any problems?

Medal of Honor shows the same problems...

> Overheating RAM on a graphics card can cause all sorts of weird artefacts
> and things.

Now that you mention it the pc is beside a heater... could it be this
simple!!!

Will try moving the machine first

Thanks

Donal

Ok,

we moved the PC away from heater and that didnt make any difference after a
few days.

we reinstalled the games and that didnt make a difference either.

we put back in the old graphics card and the Tiger Woods golf graphics are
fine on that but alot slower. Cant test medal of honor on it as it requires
the faster graphics.

So would it be a corrupt graphics card?

Thanks

Donal

Hi Donal,

It could be the card or the drivers the card was using.
If you can test it on another system, you could narrow
that down.