Build for Adobe CS6 $800-$1000

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2013 1:36:36 PM

Approximate Purchase Date:
Next couple of months
Budget Range:
$800-$1000 US
System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Adobe Creative Suite CS6 (no video editing)
Web design/development
Office apps, web surfing
(Hobby use, not professional)
Parts Not Required:
Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
None really; have used newegg, Amazon, Directron
USA
Parts Preferences:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ahww
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ahww/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ahww/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.51 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($70.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $972.58
Overclocking:
No
SLI or Crossfire:
No
Additional Comments:
I would like a quiet PC. I have a Dell now that's adequate for office apps and websurfing, but now that my husband actually uses a PC we need a second one, so it might was well run Adobe CS6, which I plan to upgrade to (I'm on Windows XP/CS4 now, but don't think the current box with only 4MB of RAM will run Windows 7 or CS6 the way I want, and I can't really upgrade it.) I want it to run Photoshop etc. efficiently, but it doesn't have to be professional grade. I'd also like something that will last for a few years, with upgrades.

Two main questions, other than whether the combination above makes sense :

1. Do I really need a CPU cooler? My research seems to indicate No other than the possible noise factor, but I don't want to fry anything.

2. Do I really need a new case? I have a Chieftec Dragon from the last (and only) time I built a PC, in 2003. I love the paint job but it's noisy, so I'm thinking I should buy a new case.

Appreciate any feedback and advice on where I'm over or under spending!
January 31, 2013 2:34:12 PM

The hardware you selected is close to my build which effectively runs CS6. I am using the Intel 4000 graphics card - and the only limitations I have is in advanced 3D rendering and a few of the filters. The video card selected is a little bit of an upgrade over the built in graphics, but not much. If you are not going to do 3D rendering...you may want to try the build in graphics first.

The most noticeable difference - CS6 loads in 4-6 seconds vs. 30-60 seconds on my old CPU (CS4 on Windows 7).

The stock CPU cooler will work fine (this is what I am using). You can also use your existing case - just replace the fans (biggest cause of "noise"). More than likely they are 120mm fans....and can be purchased anywhere.

January 31, 2013 4:04:38 PM

ronintexas said:
The video card selected is a little bit of an upgrade over the built in graphics, but not much.

The 7750 is actually 4x the performance of the hd 4000. You are just unlikely to really see it in adobe products other than the gpu intensive tasks like 3D. Other than photoshop, the other products aren't going to really use it since you aren't doing video editing.
Related resources
January 31, 2013 6:12:21 PM

k1114 - I agree that the 7750 is a better card (4X performance), and has higher performance...just isn't a big boost for Adobe CS6 unless using 4 of the filters or 3D rendering.

Since gaming, video editing, 3D rendering or other items weren't listed that would utilize the GPU, that is why I suggested trying the hd 4000. You can always buy the GPU at a later time if needed.
January 31, 2013 6:44:34 PM

Thanks for the responses! I may have to take a closer look at those filters and whether I would be likely to use them, and re-evaluate the video card, since it would be so easy to add later.

Regarding the case fans, I'm pretty sure they're 80mm, but I think I can still get replacements.
January 31, 2013 7:15:12 PM

There are so many filters, the common ones that I use don't take advantage of the GPU...I think I have used the filters that will use the GPU once or twice in the last 6 months since I built my computer. I haven't used the 3D rendering.

You are correct about the 80mm fans....NewEgg and most computer stores will have them. You can choose between fans that move more air, or ones that run quiet....there are many out there.

Most of the reviews of your case indicate how good the air flow is...so just replacing the fans seems like a great option.

I run two 24" displays (DVI & HDMI), and Adobe CS6, web surfing and MS-Office all work well with the 4000 graphics.

I was researching the AMD eyefinity - the ability to connect up to 6 monitors to a single video card....and they have quite a few options there...but the MST hubs aren't on the market yet....That looks to be an upgrade I want :-)
January 31, 2013 8:15:00 PM

It's sounding more and more like I skip the video card for now and see how the performance is without it. And it's good to hear that someone else is running similar programs on similar hardware successfully. I'm just starting to think about monitor(s). Can't decide if I should go with two lesser 23" or one better 24"-26". Good to know the onboard video can handle two. Thanks!
January 31, 2013 8:45:29 PM

Depending upon how accurately you need color calibration for your work, and the fine details you need, will determine the monitor setup. I work on dual monitors primarily because I like to "preview" work on one screen, and work on the other. For web design, it works great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There is about $40 difference between 23 and 24 inch models, make sure when you look to get one with both HDMI and DVI inputs and an LED backlit display. It makes a world of difference when viewing photos in Photoshop.

I use 23" monitors at work, 24" at home....not a huge difference. The biggest thing you want is a matched pair (so the displays look similar in both what they are displaying, and aesthetically pleasing).

February 1, 2013 12:09:54 PM

Thanks for the monitor tips. Think I'll save the money on the GPU and case, and put it toward two monitors.
!