Sign in with
Your question

Low budget build, looking for advice

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2013 2:02:49 PM

Hiya, I'm looking into building a pretty low budget basic PC for my little brother to use to play some pretty low demand games like Minecraft, Plants vs Zombies etc while I'm at Uni. I have some components left over from my previous build which I can recycle which are as follows:-

CPU: Core i7 860
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz 4GB
Case: Antec 300

So basically I thought I'd fill in the gaps and build something which he can use to play a few games and that I can use when back on holidays etc. Here is what I am thinking so far:-

Monitor: Iiyama ProLite E2208HDS 22" £79.99
GPU: MSI HD 7750 £71.99
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB £43.99
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 430w Modular £38.99

Reference prices are from overclockers.co.uk I just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on how I could save myself a little bit of cash. In particular maybe the graphics card is there anything I could get which is similarly powerful to the 7750 and would be able to play the games mentioned at a cheaper price?

Thanks for your time
January 31, 2013 2:19:25 PM

i think you are on the right path. I would increase the RAM by adding another 4GB. Other than that for the purposes you listed the build will do fine.
January 31, 2013 2:21:55 PM

whats ur budget for videocard and ram?
Related resources
January 31, 2013 2:29:19 PM

Well I guess my budget for the GPU would be around £80 but if there is anything cheaper than the one I listed which performs similarly well that would be great. As for the RAM do you really think I'd need more than 4GB, especially for the purposes I listed I'm not sure 8GB would be necessary, I was using 4GB for a long time and didn't encounter any problems. I only ask because it would be additional money on top of my already fairly tight student budget.
!