Status
Not open for further replies.

brickman45

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
should i upgrade my graphics card now or wait.....

system now using-

amd 970 overclocked to 4.0ghz....
samsung syncmaster 24" 1920x1080 moniter...
asrock 990fx mainboard with all the bells and whistles...
sapphire 6950 dirt 3 edition modded by the on card switch to 1536 shaders suuccseful...
cooler master 690 case....
psu- corsair 650tx

games i play-

battlefield 2 and 3....
medieval 2....
tatw 3.1....
wow....

i have looked at the 7870ghz edition,..the 7950...the 660ti,...and even the 670,..all look capable and decent, of course some more than others...

question is,..i currently am able to play everything fairly well,..i use vsync,...i would like a more powerful card, but i am concerned whether my cpu will bottleneck it,..or if i should be good, or if i should just go ahead and step up now and get somin a little stronger rather then wait a few months.......ty for all in put.

Solution
i wouldn't do anything now. i also use a 6950 and have no problems. the 8000 series will be out in half a year. are supposed to have 670 and 680 performance for 200 and 300 dollars. worth the wait in my opinion................ sans corporate and retailer greed...
i wouldn't do anything now. i also use a 6950 and have no problems. the 8000 series will be out in half a year. are supposed to have 670 and 680 performance for 200 and 300 dollars. worth the wait in my opinion................ sans corporate and retailer greed...

Solution
I suspect that you might be more cpu bound than graphics bound.
BF3 multiplayer, for example can be very cpu demanding. Single player not so much.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

forsaken2011

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Wait for next year for an upgrade, start saving, and you will be switching to a lot better products.
AMD is planning on keeping the Vishera Piledriver for 2013, with new models coming.
On 2013 we will see the new APU Richland proccesors.
The Steamroller processors will be launched on 2014 :(

Amd 8000 series is coming up on 2013 too!
You will be fine with your mobo and with the psu too.

brickman45

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
ok,..all good answers,..i will experiment,..with seeing as to if i am cpu bound, altho, i don't think i am,..but, i will put it to the test and report back.

i really wish i had got the i5,..lol,..but someone gave me the 990fx board,..so it was a no brainer as far as cost is concerned
anyway,..next year i will sell this system and go ahead and get a i5 system built,...altho for gaming purposes im not convinced that the i5 system will show that much of a improvement in game,...we will see tho,..ok guys,..ty...

yeah also,..i am really not "straining at the bit", so to speak, to commit yet,...its just that, i was playing tatw 3.1, and i alt tabbed out, started fraps,..went back in to a battle
and it was only showing 30-35 fps,..now,..usually im at 45-60,..on every game,..so i was like what the heck?..lol...i just want to be able to put vsync on i guess and have a
constant stable 50-60 maxxed out game,.smooth and stable,..i usually only use 4aa,..never more,..i dont see that much of a difference to me in game. also, i have my card clocks at 840(core) and 1300 memory. i know the 6970 is stock at 880,..but when i try and use software to overclock more then ccc such as msi ab, or trixx,...it always starts out good, but ends up bad,..lol..as in game locking up, and crashing. i understand bout the voltage too, but im at 1.2 on it,..i should be good up to 880 clock at least.
soooo thats why i am here in this forum, because u guys know alot more then i do...so i thank you all for your inputs....

brickman45

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
ok,..i tried the cpu testing in bfbc2,...and when i lowered some eye candy..
(2 settings to medium),..my fps increased a fair amount....

120-150 fps all on high.....
140-220 fps when i lowered 2 settings to medium....

That would indicate your cpu is strong enough.
But... why do you need more than 100fps in the first place.

Also, I know that BF3 runs nicely with a weak cpu, but really bogs down in multiplayer without a strong cpu.

brickman45

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
ok,..read the article on adaptive vsync,..i like the sound of it,..altho,..it always comes down to user experience,..for instance..
i have tried msaa, and ssaa,,,and fxaa,..out of these 3, happen to use msaa the most as it seems to me to just look better on my screen to me, altho ssaa does look quite good too,..when i tried fxaa, everything seemed a little fuzzy or out of focus.
i am aware thru reading bout this new tech called adaptive, even tho today is the first time i actually read that article, and this does sound good. i will continue to pay attention to this , as i am not in any way opposed to purchasing nvidia as well as a amd card.

brickman45

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
i tested the cpu in multiplayer,..not single player,...and i agree with you as to not needing 100 fps or even more then 60 really,..i would be quite happy with a clean smooth 60 at all times ,..i am not fps hungry,..lol

brickman45

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
so it seems that,..i am fine for now,..just wait,..and skip this round of gpu's,..build my i5 system next year,..and at that time upgrade to that next generation,..and i should be quite happy i think...

Sounds like a solid plan. I'm waiting for next year's models also.

bretmh

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Upgrade, brickman has it broken down for ya.

sig.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.