Will this work?

Propjob

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello:
I have a Vista Machine that is connected to a Vonage router Motorola SB5100 (DHCP) that than connects to a port on a Lynksys BEFSR41 and out to the World. The vonage router provides Telephone and distinctive ring capabilities for a fax.
Another Port on the Lynksys feeds home Network (WORKGROUP) that has wireless and wired machines through a Cisco Valet M20. All works fine. My wireless side of the house cant see my wifes side (Vista). She would like the capability of sharing files from her laptop with the Vista machine from upstairs. I thought if I added a wireless NIC to her Vista computer that talks to my home network, this might take care of her need. Any idea's. I really didn't want to reconfigure the routers. All have subnet of 255.255.255.0. I believe I will have to change NIC priorities also. This a great forum. Looking for your input.

Jim

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, if the wireless signal covers that area and the laptop already connects to the network.

Is her Vista machine on any network now? If so, and you add a wireless card you can bridge the networks, otherwise just adding a wireless card and letting the wireless dhcp assign her an address in the network will do.

Propjob

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Presently just her Vista Machine, an HP shared printer and another computer. All of these see each other.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes then if you add a wireless card to her computer, attach to your network, and she will see the laptop once the files/folders are shared.

You can also bridge the networks on her machine by just highlighting both networks in her network connections and then right click, select bridge connections, if you want the "another" computer and printer to have access to your network and outside Internet also.

Propjob

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Just got back from staples and no plug in wireless NIC card's Got to see if I have a spare or use up a USB. What is this world coming to? Thanks for your input Realbeast. I will still have to change the hierachy of the lan connections, correct?