Replacing/Upgrading HD 4870 on a budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulfmaccool

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
My Radeon HD 4870 is making ungodly noises and running unusually hot. I'm going to try compressed air, on the off chance it's just accumulated dust, but I think it's dying. My system is rather old at this point, so I was hoping to get some advice on a replacement.

Approximate Purchase Date : This week, most likely.

Budget : As low as possible. Ideally, I'd like to keep it under $150, but I can do up to $200.

Usage : Multi-media/home theatre (Blu-Ray, DVD, etc), gaming (Civ V, assorted sandbox games like Arkham City, Saints Row 3, Prototype 2), general purposes

Current GPU & Power Supply : Diamond Radeon HD 4870 750MHZ 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI-I HDTV & the default 500W power supply that came with my Antec Sonata III

Other Specs : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Gigabyte EP45-DS3L ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 , Mushkin HP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800, Windows Vista

Country of Origin : Canada

Preferred Websites : ncix.com, directcanada.com, newegg.ca

Parts Preference : It would be nice if I could stick with a Radeon, but I'm fine with anything

Overclocking : Nope

SLI or Crossfire : Nope

Monitor Resolution : I currently use 2 monitors, 1 at 1920x1200 & another at 1680x1050. I'd like to add in a third monitor, if possible

Additional Comments : I'd like something at least as powerful as my current card, if not more so. It would be nice if it was somewhat quieter than my current card, but as long as it's not much louder, it'll be OK.

If I'm limited to PCI-E 2.0 cards, it looks like the Visiontek 5750 may be my best bet, at $115 on Newegg. I'm not too hardware savvy, so I not sure if it would be compatible, or even suitable.

beowulfmaccool

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hmm, that is cheaper than the one I was looking at. My concern is that it appears to be PCI-E 2.1 - I understand that it should be backwards compatible, but would this affect performance at all? All of the low-budget appears appear to offer slightly worse performance than I already have, which I suppose is inevitable, but I wouldn't want to hamstring them even more.

beowulfmaccool

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Jeez, that was a good tip. I hadn't considered getting anything so recent, but it looks like the 7770 would give significantly better performance for only a small increase in price. If compatibility isn't an issue, that definitely seems like the way to go.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Radeon 7850 $200 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663

beowulfmaccool

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
The 7850 is a bit pricey for me. Right now, it seems that the Diamond HD 7770 is the way to go ( http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103205 ). Since the 7770s are all pretty close in price, I might as well stick with the manufacturer of my current card. Before I make any final decisions, would someone be able to double-check that it's fully compatible with my current system? I really want to avoid having to return anything. Also, thanks for all the help you guys have given.

EDIT : On second thought, one of the other forums I frequent recommends Sapphire as one of the best manufacturers. And since their 7770 appears to be one of the cheapest available, it would make more sense to get it. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202011

beowulfmaccool

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Well, I went with the Sapphire HD 7770, and now my motherboard won't POST. I get 23 short beeps, a pause, 23 beeps, pause, 23 beeps, and then it shuts down, and restarts. All lights and fans seem to be running. I get the exact same result with my old HD 4870, and with no video card at all. Any thoughts?

Sounds like it may be dust. I had a card I had just reinstalled working at x1 once I just removed and reinstalled(from the slot, not drivers or anything) it to fix it.

Use that air duster and try to blast the pci-e slot.

Some times installing and removing the card a few times can "clean" the slot too.

While it sounds strange, sometimes the pushing of a new card into the slot can also loosen memory, so it never hurts to remove and reinsert the memory sticks as well. May as well clean any dust from those slots as well.

If all else fails, you may have to use the Clear_RTC jumper and reset the bios to see if it helps.

beowulfmaccool

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Oh man, I was convinced either my PSU or my mobo was fried, but it turns out it was just a loose stick of RAM. I can't even begin to express my relief. Thank you all...and God bless us, everyone!

beowulfmaccool

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
It seems that for every step I take forwards, I take another back. The card is working (and I'm finally posting from my own computer again!), but the software is now causing problems. I've updated my drivers, but now Catalyst Control Center won't launch. It gives me the message "Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center". I've tried un-installing and re-installing, with no success. Googling around, it seems that there isn't any commonly accepted solution for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.