forsaken2011

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Hello guys, this is the thing.
I got a XFX GT430 1gb DDR3 about a year ago that I found really cheap.
I use it for gaming, things like World of Warcraft and some Dota 2 at 1600x900 resolutions. I never got problems with it, but on the last days the temperatures started rising.
On a 24°C living room, The graphics card while Idle it's on 38°C. While gaming for about 30 minutes or so. It reaches 70°C. If I keep playing it can get up to 75°C but not anymore than that.
This has never happened to me before, the max temps I got where about 60°C and never above.

Things to consider:
-I got a nice Airflow Case, PSU on bottom, 2x 120mm fans, and a room for two more fans on top of the case.
-The case and ALL of it components are Dust Free (the case has nice filters) and I clean it with compressed air.
-The rest of the rig is 2x4gb 1600 rams, 1x 500gb HHDD, asus mobo, and a FX-6100 which runs really cool (about 12°C on Idle and can reach 32°C while full load after 1-3 hours)
-There is NO overclock at all on any hardware, and both the GPU and the CPU are on its stock cooler.
-I changed the thermal compound on the GPU yesterday with an appropriate compound and with the right way to do it.
-I cleaned carefully the graphics card.
-I increased the FAN speed with the Nvidia Performance Control Panel (fully updated both panel and drivers) to 90% (the max that it lets me, it was on 52% (default) before.
-The card is not blocked at all by other components, I don't have any other PCI/PCIe cards plugged. The mobo is ATX, and the case has plenty of space.
-This problem started about 3-4 days ago.
-The GPU fan seems to be on good conditions.
-Even changing the graphics of all games to LOW and disabling all features the temperatures still the same.

Now, what should I do? Are those temps ok? I have never reached 70°C with anything, I'm kinda scared.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
It's definitely an odd problem then, if your temps are staying below the high 80-90 range though, and not impacting performance, I wouldn't worry about it. I have never heard of such an issue. You'll want to upgrade that card in the near future anyways as games get more and more demanding, but for now, you'll be alright with those temps.

forsaken2011

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Well, I adjusted the fan speed adding nvidia rules from the performance tab. Now if the temp goes over 70°C the fans will go to 100%. And for the whole day It didn't go over 70°C.
I'll be moving to a 7770 and a new psu next month.
The performance didn't change at all with all this but I found the issue odd.
The fan surely lost some of it's power though it seems still healthy and it keeps quiet

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
That's smart, setting the fans up that way. Ya seems like maybe the PCB got too hot and something melted, I mean, it could be anything. It's a good idea to upgrade though, you'll see a huge difference in performance. If you want a 7770 that will be a bit more futureproof than a reference card, get the Asus DirectCUII 7770 with 2GB of VRAM, trust me, in the long run, it makes a difference, the lack of VRAM on my old 560 ti forced me to upgrade.

Good luck!